Direct play algorithm to lowest quality, (Multiple Version)

gokuz

3 minutes ago, gokuz said:

If you see the screenshot above, notice that 536kbps and 1499kbps between the 2 versions.

When I set it to 1000kbps, I get the 536kbps to DIRECTplay which is GOOD.

But what about my movies which are above 1000kbps, I want to direct play that too.

So we are dealing with 3 types of files here, please understand, i've explained so much.

So set it to 3000 if that's what you need in order to get both to direct play.

Just now, Luke said:

So set it to 3000 if that's what you need in order to get both to direct play.

If I set it to 3000, the 720p file won't be the priority anymore. the 1080p file will be the one to play always.

720p file needs to play on mobile network as mobile data is expensive.

Just now, gokuz said:

If I set it to 3000, the 720p file won't be the priority anymore. the 1080p file will be the one to play always.

I understand but we don't have a feature to vary the quality setting based on what you're playing.

pünktchen

1 minute ago, gokuz said:

With multi version videos there's a selection dropdown to choose the version. So it's up to you wich version will be played. Or what i am missing?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

I understand but we don't have a feature to vary the quality setting based on what you're playing.

You already do, make it search for direct play nearest to the limit I set, both upwards and downwards bitrate.

Meaning if I set 144p, it should search for direct plays 240p onwards. 

Similarly, if i set at 4k 120Mbps, it should search for direct plays 4k 100Mbps downwards

Edited by gokuz

2 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

With multi version videos there's a selection dropdown to choose the version. So it's up to you wich version will be played. Or what i am missing?

You're missing the fact that if you start and select with 720p continue watching it, the next episode will revert back to 1080p.

GrimReaper

Make another User for yourself, limit that username's bandwidth and switch on the fly, one username for unlimited bandwith movies, another for limited bandwidth TV Shows. It's few taps to Switch user. 

crusher11
5 minutes ago, gokuz said:

You already do, make it search for direct play nearest to the limit I set, both upwards and downwards bitrate.

Meaning if I set 144p, it should search for direct plays 240p onwards. 

Similarly, if i set at 4k 120Mbps, it should search for direct plays 4k 100Mbps downwards

It's a limit, why would you search higher? 

2 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Make another User for yourself, limit that username's bandwidth and switch on the fly, one username for unlimited bandwith movies, another for limited bandwidth TV Shows. It's few taps to Switch user. 

This is not a solution as the TV shows version varies in bandwidth.

Example,

Friends 720p bitrate is 500-700kbps

Friends 1080p bitrate is 1500-2000kbps

Arrow 720 bitrate is 1600-1800kbps

Arrow 1080 bitrate is 3000kbps>

Why not let us select the lowest version to play. That will solve everything honestly.

2 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

It's a limit, why would you search higher? 

Read the whole thread. I've explained a bunch.

pünktchen
8 minutes ago, gokuz said:

You're missing the fact that if you start and select with 720p continue watching it, the next episode will revert back to 1080p.

You've never told us about continue watching before.

Just now, pünktchen said:

You've never told us about continue watching before.

Continue watching and having the drop down menu appear first is the same.

GrimReaper
38 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

With multi version videos there's a selection dropdown to choose the version. So it's up to you wich version will be played.

I still don't get why can't you select which version to play beforehand? 

7 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

I still don't get why can't you select which version to play beforehand? 

Next episode will revert it back to 1080p

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, gokuz said:

Next episode will revert it back to 1080p

Then disable Play next episode automatically in your App, so no 1080p version gets started i.e. no data spent? 

1 minute ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Then disable Play next episode automatically in your App, so no 1080p version gets started i.e. no data spent? 

This is another bad compromise. No way my users are caring enough to go back the menu, press the drop down menu as still automatically prioritize 1080p and change to 720p manually.

pwhodges

Have a "Mobile Play" library with the lowest quality versions only, and a "Best quality" library with the higher quality versions.  Play from the first when on your mobile, but without a bandwidth limit, to achieve what you want.

Paul

6 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Have a "Mobile Play" library with the lowest quality versions only, and a "Best quality" library with the higher quality versions.  Play from the first when on your mobile, but without a bandwidth limit, to achieve what you want.

Paul

Internet settings goes through everything. What library are you talking about? Another  instance of another docker emby server?

pwhodges

Emby library.  OK, maybe you'd want several - "Movies (mobile)", "Movies (best)", "Series (mobile)", "Series (best)".  Just an idea to get what you want without having to wait for the developers to agree with you.

Some quality settings are client specific, which is where you'd typically restrict bandwidth for mobile use.  This is "auto" by default, and if you use the library choice to give you the bandwidth you want, you don't need to set it.

Paul

1 minute ago, pwhodges said:

Emby library.  OK, maybe you'd want several - "Movies (mobile)", "Movies (best)", "Series (mobile)", "Series (best)".  Just an idea to get what you want without having to wait for the developers to agree with you.

Some quality settings are client specific, which is where you'd typically restrict bandwidth for mobile use.  This is "auto" by default, and if you use the library choice to give you the bandwidth you want, you don't need to set it.

Paul

To be honest, if i have 2 versions for every movie, sure i will do this.

But most of my movies are low quality to start with. So having consuming 2x of storage to accommodate 2 movie libraries just to match TV show 720p is too much.

I mean, just direct play the lowest setting. It shouldn't be that difficult to implement since you have "highest quality" in the algorithm.

Just now, crusher11 said:

Isn't the solution for Emby to have a "bitrate on data" and "bitrate on WiFi" setting on its mobile apps? 

No its not since that causes it to transcode if the bitrate is exceeded. It won't let you direct play anything above that limit.