server connect type??

banana120

banana120

i use android app   when first start  config  server  address ,i use my domain name ,it can connect to home server very easy everywhere

i find when i link to wifi at home is faster than use  4g、5g Cellular ,,,,      does the app detect local area server ip automatically(eg. 192.168.1.***)????

or the app is still connect to the server by internet ip????

banana120

if there is a way i can determine the server ip?

when i Manual add server address in different way (192.168.1.***   and  mydomain.com)  it finally as one server

I would assume things will be fastest on your own WIFI network as you've eliminated the cellular/internet from this.

Your phone OS itself is looking up your domain name and finding the IP.  Chances are that your phone gets the Internet IP, uses it but your ROUTER see's this IP as it's outside/WAN IP so it uses it's LOOPBACK capacity to forward this to your Emby Server.    How this works is all up to your router and it's setup but will almost always be faster then a true remote session.

One thing to keep in mind is what IP Emby gets on this connection and it depends on your router.  Emby might see a local/LAN IP or it might get your WAN IP shown to it.

IF Emby get's your WAN IP it could apply bandwidth restrictions if you have them setup.  If so just go into Emby Setup and add your WAN IP address to it's list of local IPs to work around this.

Also worth noting is that some people's routers can't do this type of loopback redirection and the easy way around this is to setup two entries in Emby, one using your local IP address (only good on LAN) and another using your domain name (used when remote).

I know I went a little bit off course on this answer but tried to add a bit to it.  Did I answer your question?

banana120

ok  understand thanks

i have a suggest for you 

in server select interface  ,trade domain name and  local/LAN IP as two different server use different item   or   make a switch menu item in server item menu to switch IP in use .

because we not sure router's behavior,   and manual control is easy way to make sure a good experience in both local or remote session

image.thumb.png.39150e9b5a458205de70ea8bd7641789.png

expect implement,thanks 

Edited by banana120

Not sure I follow the need as a domain name is just name lookup for the IP itself.  You can already add a server by name (used for remote) and IP (used locally) if you want to do it this way.

banana120

i make a testing:

1:

reinstall app -> switch local wifi  -> open app -> app auto find my server and  show user list -> chose to login  -> working -> close app ->

switch cellular network  -> open app -> app auto login -> working       .....   it's   amazing!!!

2:

reinstall app -> switch local wifi  -> open app -> app auto find my server and  show user list -> manual connect server by domain name -> connect fail (may be like @cayars said router not LOOPBACK)

3:

reinstall app -> switch cellular network  -> open app -> app show a connect guide -> manual connect server by domain name -> input username and password ->working -> close app ->

switch local wifi  -> open app -> app auto login -> working       .....    also amazing!!!

4:

reinstall app -> switch cellular network  -> open app -> app show a connect guide -> manual connect server by wan ip-> input username and password ->working ->app config add server ->

use domain name -> input username and password ->working       but!!!   only one server in app's server list ......

banana120

yes

first i need an indicator of server address (just show what i config , domain name or ip address)

and i need a way manual control server connection

i test android、 windows 10 store version, can't do this, they have same behavior

Not sure I follow you.  Why do you need this?

Emby has you covered with the ability to use IP or DNS name to setup.  You can setup multiple server names in the clients if needed OR can use Emby Connect as well.

If using DNS then it's better to "fix" your network so the same name gets proper resolution both inside and outside your network or you can use LOOPBACK on your router to "fix" this for you.

What you essentially have is a network issue, not an Emby issue.

banana120

may be you don't follow me

first ,you said:

Emby has you covered with the ability to use IP or DNS name to setup.

YES

one real server running on my NAS,,,,,,    connect server by wan ip 、 domain name or  local lan ip ,,,,  it all work

problem is :

add one real server by three method above ,app only show one server in server list (it's a bug or design for this behavior) i can't chose which way to connect to server.

do you get me now??

Edited by banana120

banana120

what i want  is :

in the client application , add each server an address list for user to switch connect method over wan ip 、lan ip、domain name

even can an ipv6 address

pwhodges

That seems an unnecessary complication.

If your router does loopback, you simply use the external address, or maybe name if you have a DNS entry for it.  No other manipulation required. 

If you can't do loopback, you can define two servers, one having the internal address or name and the other having the external address or name - the idea of having one server entry with a choice of addresses adds no benefit over this simpler approach that is already possible.

Alternatively, if you're able to set up in internal DNS server, only visible within your network, you can make that return the Emby server's internal address.  You can then have one entry in the client, defined by name, and the client will get the internal address from your DNS server when at home, and the external address from Internet DNS servers when away.  In my experience with the Android and iOS clients they can even handle going in or out of the house and changing network while playing without even a glitch.

Paul

• Like 2

Exactly Paul.

This is a networking issue, not an Emby issue.

Setup a DNS/DDNS name and make sure you can ping it both internal and remote and problem is gone.

Alternately use Emby Connect.

banana120

oh~~~~~~

you mean i  can set a hosts record in router ,make my domain name  redirect to internal server lan ip 192.168.*.*

when connect to wifi  my domain name will resolve by router hosts to local lan ip

when use  cellular or other remote network the domain name will resolve by internet dns server to wan ip

Right??

i think it will work  ... but   this require user have ability to do this and router support set hosts

emby app add one real server by different address trade as one item in server list   may be  design for this  and i accept  this behavior

now i'm not report this problom as a bug  ,,,,   i report this as a suggest,,,just suggest :

make every server item an address list user can change which way to connect 

both for emby and  user  are easy impl and easy use  ... 

or user have to learn more knowledge about network like how to set hosts in router 

am i right?  

in my opinion emby now is commercial product for every custom  not a open source project for some geek

emby need to be more easy to use

finally.... again....suggest....

thanks

DNS is likely not done on your home router but many routers support Loopback.  So the DNS record points to the WAN side of your router.
A router that supports LOOPBACK essentially will see an INTERNAL address making a request to the WAN side and do something "smart" which is to router the packets back to the internal IP that you have setup for port forwarding or DMZ.  So if your router supports LOOPBACK it just works.

If you have an older router or one without LOOPBACK then you can run your own internal DNS server (used for only YOUR domain and to CACHE internet DNS lookups).

If using windows or other OS that supports domains vs workgroups you use your public domain internally such as carlo.com.  So my notebook could be notebook.carlo.com.
My Emby server could be emby.carlo.com  Technically you don't have an internal DNS server in this case but make use of something called WINS or similar on other OS. via DHCP that track each machine name and use the domain the computer is joined to.

So I could now (assuming setup) get to my Emby server internally or externally using emby.carlo.com

But basically if you can PING the machine using emby.domain.ext you can make it work internally/externally that way but LOOPBACK is by far the easiest way.

There are are slick ways to do this as well actually outside the scope of this conversation like using a proxy server.

banana120

ok  fine   ,i'm done with this topic    

i don't want talk about network any more .... and the fact is  i don't  understand some of you said about network

please remember user is not expert  ,we do not have much knowledge about network

i just want emby give me a solution, so i report this suggest 

"i want a way to switch address ."

if you get me and know how to do then i wait for update

ok over...

Understood and Emby works just fine on your LAN.

But keep in mind when you plan to expose a program beyond your LAN there are many ways to do it and Emby is flexible in this respect but it's up to YOU to do some of this work.
If Emby were to open things automatically and put itself on the Internet, that would be a bad thing.

With that said we can help you one on one to get this setup and offer a remote service to help. But we want to make sure your setup is safe and doesn't expose your lan to outside people beyond who you authorize.  Emby does take an approach that may be a bit hard for non network people to implement but it's the safe method and we can help you remote to set this up and teach you why it's done this way.

So if you want some hand holding and remote help, feel free to let us know here or feel free to PM me for help

Carlo

pwhodges
4 hours ago, banana120 said:

i don't want talk about network any more .... and the fact is  i don't  understand some of you said about network

please remember user is not expert  ,we do not have much knowledge about network

It would be a lot less work for someone from Emby (e.g. cayars) to teach you the small amount of network knowledge require to sort you out than to spend time designing, scheduling and programming an unnecessary addition to Emby itself (potentially delaying other work of greater value).  You would get a better solution, and get it much faster.

Paul