watching live tv does not "stop" as viewed in emby dashboard even after person is done watching

SeekingWisdom

SeekingWisdom

I have Emby version 4.5.1 (didn't upgrade to 4.5.2 because I had so much trouble getting 4.5.1 to work)

My antenna tuner is HDHomeRun Extend (2 tuners)

I use Roku Ultra on my TVs.

I recently had a problem where my shows did not record.  I believe I finally tracked down the problem being that the HDHomeRun tuner status for both of the tuners was active (even though no one was using them at the time of the recordings) which makes me think they got "stuck" in used mode after someone was watching live TV.

This morning I checked Emby and it said that "roku Kitchen" was an "Active Device" watching "13.1 WTHR-HD".  No one was home but me and in fact the Roku in the kitchen was turned off. 

I then tried to find a way to get emby to "release" the Roku in the kitchen and so all the tuner devices was unused.  I could not figure out how to do this.  My question would be how to get Emby to release what it thinks are active devices.

A second question would be why when the person exits out of Emby to the Roku main menu does't it think that the person is no longer watching?

The remainder of this post are things I did to try to get Emby to "let go" of the kitchen Roku device.

Unfortunately I did not take a screenshot of the initial state of things.  However, in the beginning from Emby dashboard the active Device was "Roku Kitchen" on "13.1 WTHR-HD" (a live TV channel).  Also looking at HDHomerun Tuner Status showed Tuner set to 13.1 WTHR-HD.

On the Emby dashboard I clicked on the square button thinking maybe it would stop it.  That didn't seem to do anything.

I went into the kitchen and turned on the Roku and used the guide to start watching channel 13.1.  My thinking was that if I actually started and stopped watching channel 13.1 that might make it inactive.  I then paused the play (Roku doesn't have a stop button on the remote) and exited to Roku main menu out of emby.  When I went back to the Emby dashboard nothing had changed.

My next idea was to tune the Roku kitchen to a different channel and I randomly picked 8.1.  When I went back and looked at the roku dashboard it now said I was watching 8.1.  When I looked at the HDHomeRun tuner status it now said tuner 0 was still on 13.1 and tuner 1 was on 8.1.  This example approximates my initial guess that maybe all tuners were busy and blocked the recording from happening.

I then used the Roku remote to pause the channel and exited out of emby to the roku main menu.  When I went back to emby dashboard here is what I saw in the 2 screenshots below:

dashboard1.thumb.jpg.5a916fa28edafb6bc003cb7eb89034e2.jpg

tuner1.jpg.fe367b7ce542857bb2cbc94191b30898.jpg

I then powered down the roku in the kitchen and then powered it back up and that didn't change anything in the Emby dashboard either.  I am guessing I need to do something in Emby but don't know what to do.

I then tried one last drastic move - I went to the Package Center in Synology and clicked on the Emby Server and stopped the process.  I waited a few seconds and then re-started it.  After doing this I went back to the Emby dashboard and there were no "active Devices (except for Chrome which is also visible in the image I included above).  The HDHomeRun tuner status now showed both tuner were "not in use"

This seems to be a drastic measure and I doubt the intended way to stop an active device.  I await some wisdom!

Also .... I tried to attach the last image (tuner2.jpg) above the line "this seems to be a drastic ..." and in preview can see it is at the end of this text.  I cannot see it as being there in edit mode and couldn't figure out how to put it there. Ugh

tuner2.jpg

SeekingWisdom

Here is a cut/paste from my original post:

"I then tried one last drastic move - I went to the Package Center in Synology and clicked on the Emby Server and stopped the process.  I waited a few seconds and then re-started it.  After doing this I went back to the Emby dashboard and there were no "active Devices (except for Chrome which is also visible in the image I included above).  The HDHomeRun tuner status now showed both tuner were "not in use""

I don't know why except the Emby software was forced to reset.

SeekingWisdom

Here is a cut/paste from my original post:

" I then paused the play (Roku doesn't have a stop button on the remote) and exited to Roku main menu out of emby.  When I went back to the Emby dashboard nothing had changed."

The part "exited to Roku main menu" means I pushed the home button on the remote.    So first I pushed the pause followed by the home button on the remote which took me back to the roku main menu.

SeekingWisdom

Here is some more information:

When I first observed that channel 13.1 was active (the roku in the kitchen was off) I don't know what buttons were pushed to cause this to happen as this was done by my wife.  I asked her about it and she didn't remember.  I have always told her to make sure she exits out of a live feed and to not just turn off the TV but have no idea what she did.

The pause and home button described above is what I did to exit out of the channel 8.1 which occurred as described in the original post.

When the video player is open and you use Home button on remote the Roku does not give applications an OnDestroy() event. We cannot stop the tuner. When you press the Home button on your Roku remote the Roku rudely exits the application immediately. The application cannot clean up. Cannot end transcode sessions. Etc. Emby server tries to tell when the tuner is in the condition and reset it. But like all clockworks sometimes conditions cause this not to occur. You should not Pause a Live TV stream before exit the video player. This will hang your tuner. You should never use the Home button to exit the video player. We cannot control the exit when you use these buttons.

To have us control the exit just press back over and over until the application asks, What would you like to do? Then choose exit. This will always properly exit your streams and allow the application to clean up.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Please-give-us-onDestroy-as-an-event/td-p/515902

We apologize for the issue. I have left the post above on Roku forums to get them to help us. I even left a message in an r2d2 unit in hope they would save us. Do not give up hope. Roku may eventually give us OnDestroy. Happy Holidays and please keep us informed on any other issues you have. We need feedback to improve. Thanks again.

Edited by speechles

SeekingWisdom

thanks for the response

In a previous life I was an engineer and learned that "trust but verify" is key to success - so I did an experiment.

I entered the channel guide in Emby (on the Roku) and selected a channel.  Then I went and viewed the tuner and saw that the channel was in use and emby dashboard to see that the Roku was using the channel.  After this I hit the back arrow only 1 time and went from the live play back to the channel guide.  I then went and viewed the tuner and now the channel was "not in use" and emby dashboard showed the Roku in the kitchen but no longer showed it playing the channel.  I tried this 3 different times with different channels and it did the same thing every time.  I also tried hitting the back arrow on the remote until I got the message "would you like to shutdown emby on roku" message and said yes which exited back to the roku menu.

From what you said above is it inconsistent that just hitting the back arrow one time to exit the live play back to the program menu worked so I really need to go all the way to exit the emby app?

I hope the roku people are able to find the R2 unit so things can be done properly - good luck.

And thanks again for your answer - have a good day!

21 hours ago, SeekingWisdom said:

From what you said above is it inconsistent that just hitting the back arrow one time to exit the live play back to the program menu worked so I really need to go all the way to exit the emby app?

I hope the roku people are able to find the R2 unit so things can be done properly - good luck.

And thanks again for your answer - have a good day!

Yes. You only need to press back once to close the video player. I only mentioned pressing back repeatedly to exit the app because that ensures no tuners or transcoding sessions are left lingering. You can safely press the home button on your Roku remote if you are not playing video or music on your Roku. When navigating there cannot be locked tuners, locked transcoding sessions, or other problems.

I might have to post in that thread again on Roku forums to get attention on it again. The r2d2 unit is still aboard the Jawas transport. I need a smart padawan at Roku to find it and barter something to trade for it from the Jawas. Or just pass the information upstream until it hits the right eyeballs and they understand the concept.

Until then we are waiting and hoping for change. That is all we can do. Glad you understand. ^_^

Edited by speechles