OMV docker saving metadata into my drives.

Random9
Go to solution Solved by Q-Droid,

Hi

I have enabled in emby save metadata into my drives. I have my linux drives permission set to everyone, but the metadata does still not get saved into the drives.

Hi there, most likely the server is trying but being denied write access by your system.

But please go over an example and attach the emby server log so that we can dig deeper. Thanks.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:34 AM, Luke said:

Hi there, most likely the server is trying but being denied write access by your system.

But please go over an example and attach the emby server log so that we can dig deeper. Thanks.

How do I go over an example? Would a log be stored in the config folder in docker?

When I first installed the emby docker I wanted to save the metadata into my drives. Currently I have my permission in my drives to everyone. I have attached a log file of my server, I hope that will help.

embyserver.txt

30 minutes ago, Random9 said:

When I first installed the emby docker I wanted to save the metadata into my drives. Currently I have my permission in my drives to everyone. I have attached a log file of my server, I hope that will help.

embyserver.txt 859.97 kB · 0 downloads

Can you please describe what happened during this time?

Happy2Play
2020-12-01 13:25:00.607 Error ProviderManager: UnauthorizedAccessException: Emby Server is being write access to /data/tvshows/Stargate SG-1/Season 10/Stargate SG-1 Season 10 Episode 06 - 200-thumb.jpg. Please check your file permissions. Will retry saving to /config/metadata/library/81/8183edbc028072377f2c3bc193b6313c/poster.jpg

This error 62 time.  So recursive permissions need to be verified.

Oh yes I must have missed that. Good catch. Emby Server is being denied write access to save the image files.

23 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

2020-12-01 13:25:00.607 Error ProviderManager: UnauthorizedAccessException: Emby Server is being write access to /data/tvshows/Stargate SG-1/Season 10/Stargate SG-1 Season 10 Episode 06 - 200-thumb.jpg. Please check your file permissions. Will retry saving to /config/metadata/library/81/8183edbc028072377f2c3bc193b6313c/poster.jpg

This error 62 time.  So recursive permissions need to be verified.

I find this very strange, because in my linux system I have permission in my media folders set to everyone. How can I possibly solve this?

On 12/2/2020 at 9:22 PM, Luke said:

Have you checked out our file permissions guide?

Thanks for the link. When it comes to giving emby read and write access also  being able to delete content. Should these commands be executed in order to achieve this:

setfacl -m user:emby:rxw /home/myusername

or to grant "read only" access to specific folders:

setfacl -m user:emby:rx /home/myusername/Music

setfacl -m user:emby:rx /home/myusername/Videos

setfacl -m user:emby:rx /home/myusername/Pictures

Since Live TV must be read and written, then it's neccesary to grant "read" and "write" permissions:

setfacl -m user:emby:rxw /home/myusername/LiveTV

On 12/7/2020 at 5:58 PM, Luke said:

You might as well do them in the order that it says, but it shouldn't matter.

I tried adding: setfacl -m user:emby:rxw Movies, then I get setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 6.

I do yes. But I tried setting uid & the gid in the environment area in portainer. After that in my firefox browser it says I cant connect. I am currently running admin as uid & gid in emby, will I have to set a new config path for emby in order to use the uid & gid of emby.

Q-Droid

The permissions changes you make for access to the media need to be for the runtime user/group, whether emby, admin or any other.

So then when I have admin as the user in emby, I then need to then admin as read and write access to my media folders. Is that right.

Q-Droid

Not the user in Emby, the runtime user for the Emby server process in the OS. The one associated with the UID and GID. 

The Emby app users are not tied to the OS users. Completely separate. 

I am a little confused, could you explain in more detail how I should give read and write access to my media folder, and also what user.

2 hours ago, Random9 said:

I am a little confused, could you explain in more detail how I should give read and write access to my media folder, and also what user.

This is actually covered in the guide I linked you to above. Did you take a look at that?

4 hours ago, Luke said:

This is actually covered in the guide I linked you to above. Did you take a look at that?

I did take a look at the guide. I tried this command setfacl -m user:emby:rxw Movies, then I get setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 6.

• Solution
Q-Droid

Do you know the UID for the container running Emby? I think you mentioned Portainer for your Docker setup. This is the information you need to set the permissions for your Emby server access to the media.

From the command line:

getent passwd <UID>

The first field is the user name.

id <user>

Shows the UID/user, the primary GID/group and other GID/group membership. If you plan to chmod, setfacl or chown it is this user and/or groups you need to use for the commands.

Q-Droid

Changing ownership or permissions on a directory does not change access to files in that directory or other sub-directories and files therein.

There is a reason why the thread "File Permissions Guide for New Linux Users" is recommended reading. Do not go to the "solution" in that thread, that post should not have been marked as such.

The bottom line is that for Emby to access your media it needs permissions on ALL of the directories and files where you have media. The full path for each media and related file. One way is to change ownership recursively so the the emby server process user also owns all of the media directories and files. Another is to make sure the emby server process user can access all of the directories and files. It's your choice.

5 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Changing ownership or permissions on a directory does not change access to files in that directory or other sub-directories and files therein.

There is a reason why the thread "File Permissions Guide for New Linux Users" is recommended reading. Do not go to the "solution" in that thread, that post should not have been marked as such.

The bottom line is that for Emby to access your media it needs permissions on ALL of the directories and files where you have media. The full path for each media and related file. One way is to change ownership recursively so the the emby server process user also owns all of the media directories and files. Another is to make sure the emby server process user can access all of the directories and files. It's your choice.

I used the UID for my emby user and it worked great, I would think that is good enough. What do you mean by do not go to the solution in that thread?