Live TV Recording Channel Selection Enhancement Request (Include HD only for shows/events that often are shown on different channels)

appoli

Hi to the great Emby team

Up until the past year or so the current manner in which one is able to select what channel to record a program on has been totally fine for me. However, the rights to broadcast the Formula 1 Grand Prix have changed and now ESPN broadcasts it and here lies the rub. 

As there are a number of very popular sports in the US + the global sports programs like ESPN have multiple channels to cover all of this. And has F1 is not really a high priority event there are times when it isn’t even shown live (generally when there are a large number of games for a given sport) which there is nothing that can be done about that. 
But because F1 races take place in a different country each race, thus different time zones, sometimes the races will be shown (live or for their first time in the US) on ESPN (esp if it is at a very early hour) and sometimes on ESPN2 if there is something else that would attract more viewers. 

Now I don’t think there is a feature/method that I am unaware of; I believe that the way the series recording functionality works is that when you request a program to be recorded the way Emby determines the options for what channel to record the show on is based on what channel the selection you have made is being broadcast on. 
For the most part this is fine and works out great, but with something like F1 which is usually on ESPN2 & I want to record the races only in HD I end up having a rerun of the race recorded by Emby if a given race happens to be broadcast on ESPN (and that’s if they have a rerun of it). If I don’t select ‘only record on ESPN2 HD’ and instead select ‘any channel’ then I’ve had the race recorded in SD  when it is broadcast live (and maybe in HD as well. I only noticed this when Emby recorded a race in SD when I had it set for any channel). 

So I would like to put forth a feature request to add ‘only HD’ (and I guess ‘only SD’ for those that might want it?) as an option. 
Of course if there is an automated way around this, meaning I don’t have to keep reviewing the schedule to see which channel the race is set to be recorded on, that would be awesome and I’d be happy to withdraw the enhancement request. 
(another thing would be to request that only the actual races be recorded, not the practice or qualifying sessions, but me thinks that would be a larger piece of work & unless that is something others want I figure there are more pressing things for the Emby team to work on). 

thanks!