Xbox Series X no HEVC 4K HDR/Dolby Vision Direct Play

TwIXx

On 6/11/2023 at 11:44 AM, MBSki said:

It's more like 3 years later. @Luke Understand security is the top priority right now, but before that snafu was this fix at the top of the list?

What we're waiting for on xbox is this: https://github.com/MicrosoftEdge/WebView2Feedback/issues/2155

So that will be later this year. The new app with the better video player will come sooner than that for other windows devices such as pc's.

MBSki

Dang it! That's a long wait, but thanks for the info Luke. I feel like this has been planned for a very long time. Hopefully they can at least stick to that Winter 2023 target.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
angel060

I have Dolby Vision on my Sony TV app, but the color calibration is not working.

(image tends to pink)

If the source file is an MKV.

From what I understood, you have to re-encode in an MP4 file that natively supports Dolby.

So yes it would be nice to have dolby on the XBOX, but you also need a possibility to deactivate it because there are a lot of movies and series that I can only watch on the xbox

Edited by angel060

• 4 months later...
MBSki
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, we are working on a new windows app with improved video playback so stay tuned.

The new SDK is available now right @Luke?

• 4 weeks later...
MBSki
6 minutes ago, revan415 said:

Posting to follow progress. Looking forward to an app that will play my content without conversion into mp4. 

I'm wondering what the status is too. @Lukecan you provide an update?

• 5 weeks later...
Allstar86

I downloaded emby home theater a few days ago and had to realize that there is no hdr, dolby vision and 24p autoswitch on the xbox series x. :(

Is there anything coming?

The xbox is powerful enough for that.

revan415

Do what I did to resolve this and buy a Nvidia Shield Pro. :(

It is the better supported device for pretty much all the streaming platforms. Expensive, but no fuss, just works.

18 hours ago, Allstar86 said:

I downloaded emby home theater a few days ago and had to realize that there is no hdr, dolby vision and 24p autoswitch on the xbox series x. :(

Is there anything coming?

The xbox is powerful enough for that.

Hi, we are working on a new app so stay tuned. Thanks.

• Like 2

Allstar86
On 1/13/2024 at 7:52 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we are working on a new app so stay tuned. Thanks.

That sounds great because the emby player doesn't work as it should on my PC either. I have also created a thread about this. If this would work on the xbox, I would save myself an additional player. What is the current status?

We’re working hard on it. It’s getting closer.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
AbdulazizJ12

Can you at least tell us how long should we wait for the new app a couple of months or more? Emby Theatre on Xbox is getting worse with every update after the last update I can't pause the video with the controller 

On 1/15/2024 at 6:42 AM, Luke said:

We’re working hard on it. It’s getting closer.

Hi, yes it is getting very close. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

MBSki
1 minute ago, Luke said:

LOL, Luke, come on man. Nobody believes it's close. You said the same thing 2 months ago. 

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
AbdulazizJ12
On 3/19/2024 at 9:46 PM, Luke said:

Very close = another month 

MBSki

@Luke When the new Windows app does finally drop, is 4k content going to be playable on Xbox?

writersblock73
15 hours ago, MBSki said:

@Luke When the new Windows app does finally drop, is 4k content going to be playable on Xbox?

I'm hoping for this as well.

In the meantime, Kodi is in version 21 now, and from my testing it'll handle HDR10 on XBOX. (I can't comment on Dolby Vision, since my television apparently supports a DV version that Xbox does not.) Because we can't have anything perfect, the Embuary skin doesn't work on this version of Kodi. However, you can still use the Emby plugin, and still serve your media this way. It's clunky, but it's a workaround while we wait for an official solution.

• 2 weeks later...
Lojik Supreme

Just saw an update for Emby Theater on Xbox and since Luke stated it was coming soon I had a feeling this was it. Tested a 4K movie on Series X, worked like a charm!  Thanks Luke!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 10:20 PM, Lojik Supreme said:

Just saw an update for Emby Theater on Xbox and since Luke stated it was coming soon I had a feeling this was it. Tested a 4K movie on Series X, worked like a charm!  Thanks Luke!

I'm not seeing any change. 4k content just causes the app to crash on my Xbox Series X.