Xbox Series X no HEVC 4K HDR/Dolby Vision Direct Play

TwIXx

Hey there,

I received today the new Xbox Series X, I installed directly Emby on it. I can't play any 4K HEVC stream with HDR or Dolby Vision on it.
I know the Xbox is really new, but I hope you will fix this issue in the next days.

Regards,
TwIXx

MBSki

First, you're really lucky to have gotten the Xbox Series X. I still haven't been able to order one! 🤬 LOL

The issue you're referencing is the same on the Xbox One. This has been an issue for a very long time, but they just won't fix it. @Luke can you please fix the issue with the Xbox One app so we can play 4k content?

On 11/10/2020 at 8:43 AM, mbarylski said:

First, you're really lucky to have gotten the Xbox Series X. I still haven't been able to order one! 🤬 LOL

The issue you're referencing is the same on the Xbox One. This has been an issue for a very long time, but they just won't fix it. @Luke can you please fix the issue with the Xbox One app so we can play 4k content?

Everything I've read points to Microsoft being the issue. I also have a Series X and Xbox One X and this has always been the case. The same goes for Dolby Atmos or TrueHD passthrough. I really wish it would work as I would opt to go with a Series S over an Nvidia Shield, but the Shield still remains the best option. 

MBSki
53 minutes ago, PaulW08 said:

Everything I've read points to Microsoft being the issue. I also have a Series X and Xbox One X and this has always been the case. The same goes for Dolby Atmos or TrueHD passthrough. I really wish it would work as I would opt to go with a Series S over an Nvidia Shield, but the Shield still remains the best option. 

It used to be Microsoft, but even with Microsoft causing problems Plex has had it working for more than a year. I pointed this out to @Luke a year ago, but he still hasn't done anything to fix it.

MBSki
18 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

That's for Windows I believe. Xbox doesn't have those available, nor should we need to install plug-ins to get 4k to work on Xbox. 

MBSki
5 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Read the requirements. It says Xbox One.

I don't see a requirement for the HEVC extension on Xbox One anywhere. The link from your original post is for Dolby Vision. At the moment, just getting 4k HEVC on Xbox One working would be appreciated. Plex has had this ability for years and does NOT require the user to install a HEVC extension.  

sooty234

Ah, apparently Xbox doesn't support HEVC. I'd be surprised if X also doesn't. Plex might have already switched to using a different player, I don't know. But Luke is waiting on Microsoft so he can release the new app with mpv. Heads up though, mpv doesn't support DV right now.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Ah, apparently Xbox doesn't support HEVC. I'd be surprised if X also doesn't. Plex might have already switched to using a different player, I don't know. But Luke is waiting on Microsoft so he can release the new app with mpv. Heads up though, mpv doesn't support DV right now.

No, Plex is using the built in player. That's why there's been buffering issues with it for so long. they managed to get it to work though and it's been working for years. Luke can fix this now, he just doesn't want to.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
MBSki

Enabling audio passthrough would likely allow many of us to finally play 4k on Xbox. Still no update to the Emby app though to support audio passthrough. Hoping it gets released really soon though.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
cayader

Is there any news? I got a lifetime license for emby for nothing 😡 If I had known there was such a problem, I would have continued with plex. almost all my movies are in hdr format 😤

MBSki
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

We are working on a brand new windows app, so stay tuned.

Could you provide some more details @Luke? It's been awhile so just curious what the issue is with getting the new app finished.

CanDerman
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

We are working on a brand new windows app, so stay tuned.

How to run windows app on xbox?

MBSki
Just now, CanDerman said:
How to run windows app on xbox?

It'll actually be the Xbox app. Luke is merging the Xbox and windows app into 1 app that can adapt to the platform that it's installed on.

CanDerman
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

It'll actually be the Xbox app. Luke is merging the Xbox and windows app into 1 app that can adapt to the platform that it's installed on.

Understand. I hope it will be completed as soon as possible!

MBSki
1 minute ago, CanDerman said:

Understand. I hope it will be completed as soon as possible!

Me too. 🙂

• 1 year later...
MBSki
53 minutes ago, danlun said:

Hi, are there any updates on this subject, a year later?

It's more like 3 years later. @Luke Understand security is the top priority right now, but before that snafu was this fix at the top of the list?