Being able to see bitrate without having to play something and go to nerd stats?

ewokuk

50 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You can hold the button down to scroll quickly...

True, but when doing the same to scroll back up, it ends up selecting "subtitles", then going back down it selects "more" which then means scrolling al the way back to the left to get back to the play button 😆.  I have a bit of OCD when it comes to efficiently navigating things and seeing info 😁.

This pic is what I was thinking..

20201108_133950.jpg

Edited by ewokuk

It is possible but that is a decision we'd need to make system-wide.  My concern would, once again, be making that information too "techy" so that it confuses the less technical user.

Thanks.

FrostByte

On that line I would rather the length of what's already there is expanded.  It's already chopping off what I have

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ebr said:

It is possible but that is a decision we'd need to make system-wide.  My concern would, once again, be making that information too "techy" so that it confuses the less technical user.

Thanks.

Yeah thats one point, but I would argue that more non-techy people know the speed of their own internet connection than know what the likes of "1080p H264" and stuff like that means, which is already displayed.  And if they don't know the speed of their own internet connection and are using emby over the net, they are going to end up with all kinds of issues as it is likely it won't be set up properly.  To me it seems the bitrate is slightly less techy than the info that is already being displayed.

2 hours ago, ewokuk said:

And if they don't know the speed of their own internet connection and are using emby over the net, they are going to end up with all kinds of issues as it is likely it won't be set up properly. 

Actually, they are likely to be just fine as the default setting in all our apps is "auto" and it will take this into account.

FrostByte

The stuff that is already there though is what you need to select if you have different versions.   If you have a 4K, 1080, 720p version then that information becomes very important.  Not many people have different versions based on bitrate

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Not many people have different versions based on bitrate

True, so one could put bitrate in the multi-version naming.  Now it would be displayed.  From a single version standpoint I do not see the point.  But I guess you could tag the track and change the "Embedded track title display".

Edited by Happy2Play

FrostByte

I've done something similar with the video and audio names as Emby doesn't provide the information I want.   Could just add the bitrate to the video name

1917.jpg.610dd4d5d68b19859fb74f24d96f6eb7.jpg

• Like 1

rbjtech

Are people aware that you can show SFN instantly (anytime) by pressing and holding the 'action' button for a second on AndroidTV ?  Press it again to remove.

This is not uniform across the clients unfortunately...

I guess it doesn't answer the OP's question - but it's much better than having to go searching for SFN to find the bitrate ... 

Another option (clumsy but it works..) is to simply display the bitrate as a Tag ... (also searchable etc)

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
On 08/11/2020 at 17:48, ebr said:

Thanks.

358552529_nobitrate.PNG.2ddb952c59f078b1fdbd08136480007f.PNG

.. and this is not technical ?

If you are mentioning the resolution,  video and audio codec anyway - then I think we are well past your average 'consumers' understanding  - so why not add bitrate ?

If we wanted to keep it simple/non technical - then Video should be limited to SD or HD (common terms) and audio maybe 'Stereo' or 'Surround Sound' .. ?

FrostByte

Stereo and Surround won't work for audio when you need it to be selectable.  My TV supports surround, but it doesn't support DTS so I need to know the actual codec

Edited by FrostByte

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

.. and this is not technical ?

If you are mentioning the resolution,  video and audio codec anyway - then I think we are well past your average 'consumers' understanding  - so why not add bitrate ?

So, if you think it is already confusing, we should make it more so...?  Everything in your example other than H264 is fairly commonly understood by the average consumer at this point.  Most people don't even know what a bitrate is.  They think all quality is defined by resolution - which, of course, couldn't be further from the truth but that is what the marketing has done.

rbjtech

@FrostByte @ebr I'm suggesting you either go 'technical' or you go 'non-technical' - there is no way to know what level somebody is and of course everyone is different.

Ideally of course, it should 'just work' without selecting anything - that's what your 'non-technical' user will hope to use - in that case, displaying it's 1080p H264 or whatever is not relevant either - so why show that ?

For those that are technically aware of all the possible settings to maximise their AV experience - THEN display as much as possible to help them with that decision - bitrate included.

If we could control what users see on a per user basis, then that would be great - but I guess that is not possible at this time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Are people aware that you can show SFN instantly (anytime) by pressing and holding the 'action' button for a second on AndroidTV ?  Press it again to remove.

That same exact behavior is also on Roku. Hold down OK while something is playing. After 1 second stats for nerds appears. Hold down OK again for a full second. Stats for nerds will disappear. Hold down OK for less than a second and release and it will display the OSD. There is some consistency evolving.

There are also "Stream Cards" shown on the items detail screen of Android TV if you have enabled debug information. Those stream cards show the streams as rows of cards with the media details (codecs, etc) displayed within. Roku needs those "Stream Cards" too.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, speechles said:

That same exact behavior is also on Roku. Hold down OK while something is playing. After 1 second stats for nerds appears. Hold down OK again for a full second. Stats for nerds will disappear. Hold down OK for less than a second and release and it will display the OSD. There is some consistency evolving.

And where are these operations documented as this would be the first time I have hard this.

As requested multiple time all of the remote key presses need to be documented.

sooty234

Stats for nerds in most of the apps is pretty basic and doesn't give you much info, anyway. And what it does give, is static. Kinda useless. I say let's go full nerd :D

18 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Stats for nerds in most of the apps is pretty basic and doesn't give you much info, anyway. And what it does give, is static. Kinda useless. I say let's go full nerd :D

I know on the Roku there are updates every 10 seconds if the item is not direct playing. If the item is direct playing you know how it is sent by looking at the media details. But if there is ffmpeg involved (when it isn't direct playing) there are indeed progress updates sent and session updates received which are dynamically updating the stats-for-nerds display every 10 seconds. Progress and Buffer both times and percentages are available on the Roku as well as practically anything else needed to debug playback on the Roku. You will see as close to real-time updates as possible without a streaming open port. We must poll for updates. On Android TV it offers framerates and other things to see. This is just noise on Roku since that will not cause a playback issue. The stats-for-nerds information can have different items depending on the playback issues that device may experience or the player it uses may experience.

Which apps aren't giving much info? What info would you like to see presented? Keep in mind you can't plaster the entire screen with text. It should be simple and not obscure the entire screen. On TV apps the text must be large enough to read across the room from 10 feet away. Knowing this how and what would you change?

Edited by speechles

sooty234
25 minutes ago, speechles said:

Which apps aren't giving much info? What info would you like to see presented? Keep in mind you can't plaster the entire screen with text. It should be simple and not obscure the entire screen. On TV apps the text must be large enough to read across the room from 10 feet away. Knowing this how and what would you change?

I don't have any roku devices, so I can't comment on those, but all of the Android stuff is really basic.

I want active realtime stats given by the player. That's the only information that has any real use. And I want lots of information. As much as I can get. With my chosen player (outside of emby), I have 4 pages of stats. Inside emby, I get a few lines. Theater gives me more of what I want, but now the window size has been cut in half, it's crap. I can scroll, but it's a pain. And if I need someone to take screenshot for troubleshooting, they have to take multiple. Worthless!

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, sooty234 said:

With my chosen player (outside of emby), I have 4 pages of stats. Inside emby, I get a few lines.

And pages of info is relevant how?  Maybe a one off for troubleshooting but realistically no one truly needs everything all the time.  And there is no way to easily show that much info on clients.

sooty234
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

And pages of info is relevant how?  Maybe a one off for troubleshooting but realistically no one truly needs everything all the time.  And there is no way to easily show that much info on clients.

True enough, and I wasn't suggesting that emby should provide information on that level. The key part of what I was referring to is having active stats from the player, in realtime. The information presently offered is of no real use, as it's fed from the server and is static. It gives you nothing usable.

sooty234

Here's an example. If you're listening to audio on an Android device with Exoplayer and it's not being bitstreamed, if the sample rate is above 44KHz, the player (Exoplayer) will resample the audio to 44KHz. So if you think you're listen to hi res audio, you're not. But you won't know, because nothing is telling you what the player is doing. So the information in the stats, is crap. If I dig, what else will I find these players doing and not telling you?

So all you lovely people with AAC audio tracks, guess what's happening?

Edited by sooty234

FrostByte
5 hours ago, CBers said:

@sooty234Perhaps you should think about buying a HTPC instead of mucking around with these horrible Android things 😂

Maybe he can get one from Doofus.  Heard he had a few down in his Mom's basement 😁

• Haha 4

sooty234
6 hours ago, CBers said:

@sooty234Perhaps you should think about buying a HTPC instead of mucking around with these horrible Android things 😂

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Maybe he can get one from Doofus.  Heard he had a few down in his Mom's basement 😁

Genius! And his mom says hi.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2