Being able to see bitrate without having to play something and go to nerd stats?

ewokuk

Just a small request that we can see the bitrate of something after selecting it  (i.e. after selecting a movie or tv episode, just before you play it) without having to try playing it first.  I find myself constantly opening the nerd stats when I start playing things just out of curiosity to see what the bitrate is (which also tells me whether it is going to transcode or not).  It's also useful to know if for example I have 2 copies of something, a low bitrate one and a high bitrate one, I can easily see which is which without having to play it first and open nerd stats.  If it could be added somewhere so people can see the bitrate at a glance that would be very useful (and I am guessing relatively quick and easy to add?).

Hi.  This information is already included in the "Media Info" section at the bottom of the detail page.

CBers
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This information is already included in the "Media Info" section at the bottom of the detail page.

Doesn't the DEBUG option need to be on to see that info though?

2 minutes ago, CBers said:

Doesn't the DEBUG option need to be on to see that info though?

It is currently always there in the web app and mobile.

This is what I'm talking about, ideally on these screens it would be very useful to be able to see the bitrate somewhere without having to navigate around different menus etc, it is instantly visible.  I think a lot of people would find this useful info to know before hitting play on something (it's just very useful information and I can't see a downside to showing it or at least having an option to show it).

20201108_133950.jpg

Edited by ewokuk

1 minute ago, CBers said:

Scroll down. 

That's what I get when scrolled down, nothing else there (and even if it was, it would be better to see it up the top where the other relevant info is like resolution etc without needing to scroll).

Perhaps I'm wrong if nobody else has requested it in all these years then I may be the only one in the world that would find it useful. 🤷‍♂️

20201108_134656.jpg

FrostByte

I don't want to see it at the top of the TV apps.  It's not needed for playback for most people, better served at the bottom like it is on the web client

2 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I don't want to see it at the top of the TV apps.  It's not needed for playback for most people, better served at the bottom like it is on the web client

Your choice, I can't see the issue with adding a tiny bit of text showing the bitrate (it's literally going to be 4 characters?!), either way it could be an option instead of there all the time.  It's pointless if people have to scroll around to see as it would then be little different to starting to play it and opening the nerd stats.

Edited by ewokuk

FrostByte

What would be nice is if the media information at the bottom of the page could be an option by itself.  Instead it only shows up if you have debug on.  There are people like you who want that information.

CBers
5 minutes ago, ewokuk said:

beta 1.8.48g on shield pro.

As I said above, you need to enable the DEBUG option within the ATV app to see the information at the bottom of the details page. 

I've just turned it off on my Shield and that info disappears. 

CBers
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

But not the ATV app. 

• Like 1

FrostByte
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you make the mediainfo a separate option?  There are people who want that , but don't want debug on all the time

It's also in ET for Android at the bottom in desktop mode

Edited by FrostByte

CBers
Just now, FrostByte said:

Can you make the mediainfo a separate option?  There are people who want that , but don't want debug on all the time

It's also in ET for Android at the bottom

Or just display it without any need for options, for consistency. 

• Like 1

FrostByte
1 minute ago, CBers said:

Or just display it without any need for options, for consistency. 

True, if it's at the bottom like the other apps it doesn't hurt anyone.  No need for an option

ewokuk - do you understand now how to get what you want in the TV app?  Just turn on the debug option as CBers suggested.

IMO this information is clutter and potentially confusing to "normal" users.  In our large-format display apps, I think it should be hidden by default.  Leaving it there all the time in the web app is okay I think because it helps us a great deal in troubleshooting and the web format lends itself to the display better. 

I may just rename the option to "Show advance information" or something.

CBers
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

IMO this information is clutter and potentially confusing to "normal" users.

I would say that @ewokuk is a "normal" user who wants the information.

Can't you just show it by default. As @FrostByte said, if it's at the bottom, it's out of the way enough for people not to notice, but there for everyone if they want to view it.

Edited by CBers

We've had several requests to get rid of it because many users are confused by it (Grandma keeps asking me what's all this 'codec' stuff...).  All the apps don't have to present everything exactly the same to be "consistent".  Different formats and viewing experiences can be slightly different.

CBers
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

All the apps don't have to present everything exactly the same to be "consistent".

I think that comment will come back to haunt you at some point. 

Just had a look on my phone and I see that info, which is pretty useful.  I turned debug on with the ATV and can now see it (I am not sure what other effect this option has though, is it purely this?).

My only issue with this is getting to it means scrolling right down to the bottom, which is pretty quick and easy on a touch screen, but is 4 button presses to get to on ATV, then another 4 to get back to the top, when all I am really looking for is something like, where it says "Video 1080p HEVC", it would instead say "Video 1080p HEVC 27mb".  The stats at the bottom are actually still useful but the majority of the time simply easily seeing the bitrate would suffice for me.  4 button presses to the bottom, then another 4 back up would mean I am probably better off starting to play the thing and opening nerd stats, which would be 1 press to play, 1 long press to show, 1 log press to hide, unless after seeing the bitrate I then want to do something different (e.g. play another file or change a setting) which would then need probably more navigation than the 4 down/4up.

Obviously anyone streaming locally and with enough bandwidth to stream 100% of their content with no transcoding may not need to see it as it becomes largely irrelevant (but imo it's still useful/interesting to know and would take up virtually no space).  However where the vast majority of my content is streamed over the internet on a limited speed connection, the importance of knowing the bitrate goes up exponentially (even after setting the bandwidth in emby).

It's not the end of the world, I just see it as a win-win to add 4 characters to the existing interface (which has plenty of spare room at that location anyway) to provide useful into to all vs forcing people to scroll around to access that vital piece of information.

Edited by ewokuk