Jump to content

Quicker/easier access to 'stats for nerds' & seekbar showing buffer level


ewokuk
 Share

Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

Recommended Posts

I would really love an easier way to be able to have a quick look at the nerd stats while watching, without having to:

  1. press down to bring up the menu at the bottom
  2. Scroll allll the way to the right to the settings cog
  3. open the settings menu
  4. Scroll all the way down to the stats tickbox
  5. select the tickbox

Then once I have done that, after having a look at the stats for a couple of seconds, the menu vanishes and I have to repeat the entire process again to turn it back off.

How about a simple setting in options where those stats can be shown automatically whenever you press that initial down key (Plex has this option and it makes things oh so much easier to have a quick look at what its doing, what the original bitrate is, whether it is transcoding, if so what bitrate is it transcoding to and why is it transcoding).  The emby version is much much better than the plex equivalent, it's just a real pain the the ass to get a quick and easy look at it.

The second thing is in most versions of plex, the seekbar also shows you the buffer level, this makes it much easier to keep tabs on what its doing, whether it's struggling to fill the buffer, how much buffer it has etc etc  I find this a really useful thing to see in plex, especially when I am diagnosing problems and I really miss not having it in emby (fire stick and shield).

Edited by ewokuk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution
GrimReaper
15 minutes ago, ewokuk said:

I would really love an easier way to be able to have a quick look at the nerd stats while watching, without having to:

  1. press down to bring up the menu at the bottom
  2. Scroll allll the way to the right to the settings cog
  3. open the settings menu
  4. Scroll all the way down to the stats tickbox
  5. select the tickbox

Then once I have done that, after having a look at the stats for a couple of seconds, the menu vanishes and I have to repeat the entire process again to turn it back off.

How about a simple setting in options where those stats can be shown automatically whenever you press that initial down key (Plex has this option and it makes things oh so much easier to have a quick look at what its doing, what the original bitrate is, whether it is transcoding, if so what bitrate is it transcoding to and why is it transcoding).  The emby version is much much better than the plex equivalent, it's just a real pain the the ass to get a quick and easy look at it.

The second thing is in most versions of plex, the seekbar also shows you the buffer level, this makes it much easier to keep tabs on what its doing, whether it's struggling to fill the buffer, how much buffer it has etc etc  I find this a really useful thing to see in plex, especially when I am diagnosing problems and I really miss not having it in emby (fire stick and shield).

For Stats for Nerds, keep the Center/OK button pressed for few seconds while playback. 

Cheers

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

For Stats for Nerds, keep the Center/OK button pressed for few seconds while playback. 

Cheers

Based on your description of the process, I'm guessing you are using the Android TV app and, if that is correct, then the above process is exactly what you are looking for.

Long-press the "ok" button on your remote to both turn on and off the stats window.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

For Stats for Nerds, keep the Center/OK button pressed for few seconds while playback. 

Cheers

Ooooh thats so good 😁.  I wonder how many other controls I don't know about.  Is there a list somewhere of what different remote actions do on different screens?

This is why I am switching to Emby, all plex seems to want to do is p off and ignore their own users and spend all their time trying to get in to bed with every tv company they can instead of focusing on sorting out the app for the core functions its meant to be doing.

Edited by ewokuk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Happy2Play said:

Don't all clients show the buffer indicator now?

5deec9928044a_Untitled.png

I am not seeing any buffer indicator on my shield

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Don't all clients show the buffer indicator now?

5deec9928044a_Untitled.png

It shows it for live TV in relation to live time but not for normal video playback.

Question - what do you expect that secondary value to actually mean and why is it important to you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

It shows it for live TV in relation to live time but not for normal video playback.

Question - what do you expect that secondary value to actually mean and why is it important to you?

Similar reasons to why it is shown on live tv I guess.  Streaming something over the net is no different to live tv in that when the buffer is empty, playback will stop.  I would expect it to show me how much of the upcoming playback is in the buffer, same as plex.  I have used it in plex when troubleshooting, it's easier when you can see how much buffer you have and when the buffer is struggling to be filled.  I have also spotted on occasion that the buffer stops  being filled and I can see in advance when playback is going to stop and have a better idea of when that buffer stopped being filled vs in emby I have no indication, it just stops but I don't know if the issue that stopped thee buffer filling was 30 seconds ago or 3 minutes ago, etc.

It's not the end of the world, I just find it useful to see when I use plex.  Since the funcionality seems to be in emby already, is there a reason not to have it on more than just live tv? 😋

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ewokuk said:

Similar reasons to why it is shown on live tv I guess.  Streaming something over the net is no different to live tv in that when the buffer is empty, playback will stop.  I would expect it to show me how much of the upcoming playback is in the buffer, same as plex.  I have used it in plex when troubleshooting, it's easier when you can see how much buffer you have and when the buffer is struggling to be filled.  I have also spotted on occasion that the buffer stops  being filled and I can see in advance when playback is going to stop and have a better idea of when that buffer stopped being filled vs in emby I have no indication, it just stops but I don't know if the issue that stopped thee buffer filling was 30 seconds ago or 3 minutes ago, etc.

It's not the end of the world, I just find it useful to see when I use plex.  Since the funcionality seems to be in emby already, is there a reason not to have it on more than just live tv? 😋

Okay, so you are expecting client-side player buffer as opposed to something like transcode progress.  We can add that but I think you'll find that most of this playback is fairly "JIT" so the buffer position will maintain just ahead of current position.

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ewokuk said:

Since the funcionality seems to be in emby already, is there a reason not to have it on more than just live tv?

It isn't really the same value.  The live TV indicator shows you how far you have rewound from the "live" point.  That is not the same as the amount of the stream that is in the player buffer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, so you are expecting client-side player buffer as opposed to something like transcode progress.  We can add that but I think you'll find that most of this playback is fairly "JIT" so the buffer position will maintain just ahead of current position.

Thanks.

Yeah exactly.  Like this picture from plex, that tells me i have probably a couple of minutes in the buffer so it's not riding along the edge close to stopping all the time.  Also useful if I am streaming something that is close to my bandwidth limit, I can see if its getting the buffer filled or can't quite manage it.

Yeah a bit different to how the live tv one works then.  For live TV (aside from rewinding) I would expect it to be much closer to JIT so it wouldn't be worth it.  For streaming VOD content I expect the buffer is a lot bigger as VOD content is going to be much higher bitrate and closer to peoples bandwidth limits than the <10mb live tv content so it would be more important to have a bigger buffer as well as being able to keep an eye on it.  I have seen it up to about 4 minutes in plex (no idea what the various emby settings give, part of that is because I can't see it in the seek bar 😉).

I guess what I am trying to do is bring all the bits I like most in plex over to emby so that emby has everything and I never have to look at plex again 😂

20201030_201240.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
mrshonig

Ich hätte auch gerne einen größeren Buffer / Puffer für gestreamte inhalte, gerade wenn man Sie über Internet schaut. So könnte man bei einer schlechten Leitung das Video vorladen lassen um es dann eventuell ruckelfrei ab zu speilen.

 

DANKE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mrshonig Sie können dies tun, indem Sie die Pause auf Ihrer Fernbedienung für kurze Zeit gedrückt halten. Da das Puffern sowieso einige Zeit in Anspruch nimmt und langsamer wird, wie schnell Sie eine kurze Pause verwenden können, ist das ähnlich.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mrshonig

Okay, ich sehe aber unter wo die Abspiel zeit angezeigt wird (balken) keinen Buffer fortschritt... so kann ich nicht nachvollziehen ob er dieses tut oder wie weit er das gemacht hat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mrshonig Ja. Der Transcodierungsfortschritt wird in der Transportfortschrittsleiste nicht angezeigt. Möchtest du das?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mrshonig

 

4 hours ago, speechles said:

@mrshonig Ja. Der Transcodierungsfortschritt wird in der Transportfortschrittsleiste nicht angezeigt. Möchtest du das?

Es wäre für mich, wenn ich nicht zuhause bin schon hilfreich. Da ich oft das Problem habe ( schlechte Verbindung) das das video ruckelt. 

 

Wäre das denn möglich?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...