Nvidia hw transcoding not working (anymore)

joydashy
Go to solution Solved by joydashy,

8 hours ago, joydashy said:

I only just now noticed that in the OP, I also had a working driver inside the container, and I also suggested it was "too new", haha 😅.

So I actually am at the same spot back then, but the solution I had back then, does not work anymore...

Hi, please attach both the emby server log and hardware detection log files together. Thanks 

• 1 month later...
joydashy
18 hours ago, Luke said:

@joydashy are you still having an issue with this?

Hi Luke, I have not made any changes and it's not working yet. I was already out of ideas a month ago...

Hi @joydashy,

To further investigate this, we would at first take Docker out of the game and install directly on the host OS.

I mean, we've gone through it before...:

On 10/29/2020 at 10:21 PM, softworkz said:

Then I would install Emby on the host OS and see whether it works there.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:53 PM, joydashy said:

Well, on host also not working. I do get different errors if that helps...

hardware_detection-63739780928.txt 225.73 kB ¡ 5 downloads

On 10/31/2020 at 10:57 PM, softworkz said:

What are you talking about?

All Nvidia codecs are perfectly detected:

image.png.7f3329c81e0cf86d19572faed43237f6.png

On 10/31/2020 at 11:06 PM, joydashy said:

My bad, I had not loaded my Premier key on the host installation yet... it works now.

So the issue appears to be related to the container, that's good to know at least.

We don't know whether it's the same cause as at that time, but the procedure is the same: Get it working on host OS first.

sw

joydashy

We indeed been there before :) And the solution back then, is not the case now. I went over that several times to be sure.

I am not using Docker, but Proxmox + LXC.

In any case, you are right, just hesitant to taint the host with anything not part of Proxmox.

Please understand that we try to avoid spending time on virtualization and containerization situation, as the outcome is too often like this:

On 10/31/2020 at 11:25 PM, joydashy said:

The device ID had changed by 1 after replacing the GPU, and I had overlooked this..

Don't worry, It's not about yours, it's the same in all such cases: first of all eliminate the virtualization part.

I can assure you though, that our (official!) Linux packages are installed isolated and don't modify your system state in a way you would need to be concerned about.

joydashy
On 2/27/2022 at 6:27 PM, Luke said:

@joydashy are you able to try our native package to see how that compares?

I will, have been down with Covid-19 :(

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
joydashy
20 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks for your concern and apologies, not gotten around to test this yet. Been kinda swallowing the high load on the host during transcoding, but will get back to it.

Just now, joydashy said:

Thanks for your concern and apologies, not gotten around to test this yet. Been kinda swallowing the high load on the host during transcoding, but will get back to it.

That would be great, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
joydashy

Hi there, I have finally gotten around to test this properly.

Left is inside the LXC container, right is running on the physical host hardware. Not sure if you need logs? I've previously posted logs of the non-working version, the working one may not add much.

Both are running Emby 4.7.0.60

image.png.e56b4f2ec0a5cb4cb1a238a4c2402522.pngimage.png.54785449a7e0fca9309f7734ba0ac649.png

2 minutes ago, joydashy said:

Hi there, I have finally gotten around to test this properly.

Left is inside the LXC container, right is running on the physical host hardware. Not sure if you need logs? I've previously posted logs of the non-working version, the working one may not add much.

Both are running Emby 4.7.0.60

image.png.e56b4f2ec0a5cb4cb1a238a4c2402522.pngimage.png.54785449a7e0fca9309f7734ba0ac649.png

It sounds like you need to configure the LXC container so that Emby Server will have access to the gpu.

joydashy
50 minutes ago, Luke said:

It sounds like you need to configure the LXC container so that Emby Server will have access to the gpu.

Well, if you look at the history of this matter, I've had it working before.

Anyway, I just actually reinstalled the Nvidia driver within the container, to the same version it already had, and now it magically works. Did not change a thing. So I fully expect to have this issue again after the next Proxmox major version update, but we'll see then :)