iOS: MB vs Plex

sfnetwork

Cheesegeezer

If I were to find a developer for apple tv could your service layer be utilized for that as well?

Luke, there is no development for AppleTV other than what apple develops. They have not opened up the developer portal like they have for Mac and iOS devices.  ATV is a closed system.  I posted a while ago a "hack", if you like, where a plex developer managed to fool the ATV trailers app into loading plex instead of trailers, this was done using Python, so there is no basic SDK to work from.

Cheesegeezer

Sorry, just saw shiv's post, oh well at least we are saying the same things, thats good! ;)

steve1977

This is great. Does the IOS app allow downloads to the iphone yet? Just realized that plex has this feature when looking at the screenshots.

darwindeeds

This is great. Does the IOS app allow downloads to the iphone yet? Just realized that plex has this feature when looking at the screenshots.

The app does not allow downloads. We will have to put some thought into it before we go that route

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Mark Anderson

Luke, there is no development for AppleTV other than what apple develops. They have not opened up the developer portal like they have for Mac and iOS devices.  ATV is a closed system.  I posted a while ago a "hack", if you like, where a plex developer managed to fool the ATV trailers app into loading plex instead of trailers, this was done using Python, so there is no basic SDK to work from.

I heard rumors (so it must be true :-) ) that apple would soon open up the ATV like iOS, so that 3rd party apps could be installed. Would be good if they did. Apart from that aspect, I like my ATV a lot.

sfnetwork

I heard rumors (so it must be true :-) ) that apple would soon open up the ATV like iOS, so that 3rd party apps could be installed. Would be good if they did. Apart from that aspect, I like my ATV a lot.

that would be a game change, it it was true...

Edited by sfnetwork