iOS: MB vs Plex

sfnetwork

sfnetwork

iOS client is officially released and for the first build, Shiv has done an incredible job and is already comparable to Plex.

There is a lot still to optimize, fix and features to add but I just wanted to compare the existing interface layouts and features from MB client version 1.0 next to Plex version 3.2.4 (far from 1.0...mature build) and share it so MB community can discuss it or thank Shiv again for his amazing work.

Home screen: MB has also separate home screen pages dedicated to Movies/TV/Music additionally to the entire library.

Photo%2010-10-2013%2C%204%2036%2056%20PMPhoto%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2020%2005%20PM

Collections: MB has the quick access menu accessible from anywhere and lets you go from there in a category. Plex... user have the home icon and do the selection in the scrolling small "my Library" area.

Photo%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2015%2013%20PMPhoto%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2020%2005%20PM

Collections / Libraries:MB uses the full page for this selection and unify everything (collections/plugins in one list AND you can customize the icons. Plex still forces user to choose from the same small area and for other "plugins", is putting it in channels. (no icon customization, except with weird work around on server)

Photo%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2016%2007%20PMPhoto%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2043%2020%20PM

Movie list: I think that part speaks for itself IMO...

Photo%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2016%2048%20PMPhoto%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2057%2052%20PM

Movie details: 

Photo%2010-10-2013%2C%207%2003%2031%20PMPhoto%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2021%2012%20PM

Actors and actors details: Plex... nothing to show, sorry. It doesn't exist in their environment...

Photo%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2017%2000%20PMPhoto%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2017%2004%20PM

Boxsets: Plex... nothing to show, sorry. It doesn't exist in their environment...

Photo%2010-10-2013%2C%206%2018%2012%20PMPhoto%2010-10-2013%2C%207%2009%2057%20PM

The main thing that stands out in MB is the image quality (posters, backdrops, etc...)

So, Version 1.0; success.

Let's try this again after a few more builds...

Edited by sfnetwork
  • Like 2

MrWebsmith

wow... congrats shiv again

in almost every shot i prefer our implementation... the larger posters/cleaner overall look.. less info... all seems preferable to me.. the only toss up is that the inital screen for plex i like the recent/on deck/my library layout...

great comparison post...

i cant wait to see what our team can do with the extra screen real estate on an ipad

Redshirt

wow, plex is really stuffing too many movies on screen at the same time in that list.

swhitmore

Well done! Looks fantastic. I'll have to get this going on my wife's phone. She doesn't want to upgrade to iOS7 yet, but I think she will have to anyway.

Any word on an iPad specific app?

Edited by swhitmore

sfnetwork

I think Shiv wanted to wait for the newest iPad gen.

Apple announcement about this is on October 22nd, if I remember, so...

I have to agree that an iPad version with the retina display could be another game changer...

And based on what was done for iPhone, I can't wait to see the iPad version...

Edited by sfnetwork

swhitmore

TBH, I don't think we should wait. We are gaining a lot of momentum by having these apps, and iPads are used A LOT in home media setups. I'll support in any way I can to see this happen.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

+1 on Ipad - this will even up the plex stakes!

Even up???? I think it's already surpassed.

The other main bonus over Plex is that MBS metadata scraping is by the far the best integrated solution available on the market.  I tried plex and it sucks with metadata.

Great Work SF, as always ;)

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

+10 to the ipad vote... cant wait to help break stuff with a version that i dont have to deal with resolution oddities and zooming

darwindeeds

Wow.. Thanks for the comparisons. And a lot of credit goes to ergoproxy for putting in efforts to cleanup the layouts. 

I currently working on media list optimization and would be adding the sort and filters as a part of it. 

• Like 1

darwindeeds

Cough..iPad..Cough...

lol

I'm waiting to get the new ipad(s). Once I get them, there will be development and testing on them. Unless, someone here want to sponsor me one :P

sfnetwork

I'm waiting to get the new ipad(s). Once I get them, there will be development and testing on them. Unless, someone here want to sponsor me one :P

I think you should charge for the iOS app, even if it's 1$. I sure that nobody would complain and that would pay for a lot of iPads (all models)... 

This would be considered as dev funds.

Or make a donation link to you for this purpose. I'm sure you'll get the funds by this afternoon lol...

We should make the same for Shiv: "Get this dude an iPad!

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

lol

Edited by sfnetwork

swhitmore

If you need an iPad to develop on, I'm sure the users of your app (soon to be my wife included), would be happy to donate to make it happen. Can you setup a PayPal donation account?

darwindeeds

Gotta love Apple and their closed architectures.

Lets hope there is some good news on oct 22. In a way cant blame apple for it as they never called their apple tv a main stream product. It was more a fun time project within apple. Same is the case with Chromecast, they are not main stream ready yet and google doesnt want to open to for local streaming yet.

Really, I am dedicated Apple users products, but as I see it, ,many are switching to Google/Samsung and their platform devices.

Apple will never be "open" for anything :)

Also, Apple lost it market share leader now. But I am still hoping for something new will come from them.

darwindeeds

No, I'm just kidding guys. I have been holding off for the ipad mini retina. I have couple of older ipad at home, that I dont use. I want to fine tune the iphone app and that would make the ipad development very easy. As the service layer is shared. Thanks for the support though :)

darwindeeds

If I were to find a developer for apple tv could your service layer be utilized for that as well?

Luke, The problem is that Apple TV's SDK is not open to developers. Unless we hack our way like Plex its not an option. I would be happy to work on the apple tv app if the sdk was open. I know, I would use it in my home.