Emby rpm: Issue with posttrans scriptlets

Q-Droid

Q-Droid

I upgraded to 4.5.2 on CentOS today and noticed some things about the rpm update.

emby-server-rpm_4.5.2.0_x86_64.rpm

Lines are from posttrans scriptlet.

1 - getent passwd emby > /dev/null 2>&1 && usermod -c 'Emby Server' -g emby -d /var/lib/emby -m -s /usr/bin/nologin emby:emby   <--- emby:emby is not a user and threw an error

2 - getent passwd emby > /dev/null 2>&1 || useradd -r -c 'Emby Server' -g emby -d /var/lib/emby -m -s /usr/bin/nologin emby && passwd -l emby > /dev/null && chown emby:emby -R /var/lib/emby

Line #1 should be changed to user emby instead of user:group emby:emby. The way both lines are written the emby user will always be modified by #1 and even if the emby user does exist line #2 will always lock the emby user password and recursively reset ownership of the emby home directory. The actions would overwrite changes previously made to the emby account and home by the system owner. I can live with it if this is by design to cut down on problems and requests for support.

@Happy2Play please move this and my response to a new topic. Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I've passed this on to our build developer to jump in here and respond.

alucryd

The group is created one line above that, and unless getent works differently on CentOS, the first line should work perfectly fine. You're right about the second one however, didn't catch that operator precedence doesn't apply here, and the whole group after `||` should be surrounded with parentheses. Thanks for the report!

Q-Droid
4 hours ago, alucryd said:

The group is created one line above that, and unless getent works differently on CentOS, the first line should work perfectly fine. You're right about the second one however, didn't catch that operator precedence doesn't apply here, and the whole group after `||` should be surrounded with parentheses. Thanks for the report!

Usermod on EL7 doesn't like it, perhaps EL8 accepts user:group. Previous releases (4.4.x) of the rpm only had user name specified for the usermod command.