DLNA in Bigscreen on Oculus

gihayes
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

gihayes

Reducing the Blast Alive Message Interval to 30 seconds in the Emby DLNA settings fixed the issue of not seeing Emby for me. BigScreen and other apps can see it. But BigScreen won't do anything once it connects to Emby. All my other apps and devices work with Emby. Only BigScreen does not.

SikSlayer
2 hours ago, gihayes said:

Reducing the Blast Alive Message Interval to 30 seconds in the Emby DLNA settings fixed the issue of not seeing Emby for me. BigScreen and other apps can see it. But BigScreen won't do anything once it connects to Emby. All my other apps and devices work with Emby. Only BigScreen does not.

I don't know if its the same issue as to why it doesn't work on Bigscreen on Windows, but hopefully this helps the devs work it out.

16 minutes ago, tmillerj said:

Bigscreen to EMBY 4.5.2.0 as docker package  -  this doesn't work

output_log2.txt 4.8 kB · 0 downloads output_log.txt 118.18 kB · 0 downloads

Bigscreen to EMBY 4.4.3.0 as Synology package - doesn't work

output_log.txt 118.18 kB · 0 downloads output_log2.txt 4.8 kB · 0 downloads

Bigscreen to Synology Media Server - this DOES work

output_log.txt 100.89 kB · 0 downloads output_log2.txt 4.85 kB · 0 downloads

Was bigscreen able to see the 4.4.3 server on Synology and attempt to connect? Can you also attach the corresponding Emby Server log? thanks.

tmillerj

Hi Luke.

I deleted all recordings on my Synology package EMBY 4.4.3.0 except for one small mkv  (converted by EMBY from the original recording).  I did this because the same Bigscreen player can play these files just fine.  With docker, it's actually not too bad.  I map an external share, convert my files into mkv, and then mount that share from the Bigscreen client.  That works.

OK.  Mkv files work.  A bit earlier, you suggested that maybe when the EMBY server responds with media types that the Bigscreen player doesn't recognize, maybe that messes things up.

These files here are the logs when I tried Bigscreen to EMBY 4.4.3.0 with just that one mkv file.  It didn't work.

output_log.txtoutput_log2.txt

Thanks for the help and ideas Luke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tmillerj said:

Hi Luke.

I deleted all recordings on my Synology package EMBY 4.4.3.0 except for one small mkv  (converted by EMBY from the original recording).  I did this because the same Bigscreen player can play these files just fine.  With docker, it's actually not too bad.  I map an external share, convert my files into mkv, and then mount that share from the Bigscreen client.  That works.

OK.  Mkv files work.  A bit earlier, you suggested that maybe when the EMBY server responds with media types that the Bigscreen player doesn't recognize, maybe that messes things up.

These files here are the logs when I tried Bigscreen to EMBY 4.4.3.0 with just that one mkv file.  It didn't work.

output_log.txt 116.86 kB · 0 downloads output_log2.txt 4.8 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the help and ideas Luke.

And the emby server log?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Jbbrack03

Alright, I can provide a quick update. As of Server 4.6.1.0 Emby is showing up properly in Bigscreen and I can play content through Bigscreen. The only lingering issue that I can find is that progress is not synced between what is viewed in Bigscreen through DLNA and Emby itself. I tested by watching about 15 minutes of a movie, stopping and waiting 15 minutes, and then checking Emby. It still shows that the particular movie has not been played and it doesn't show an option to resume. If this can be sorted, then Bigscreen will 100% be viable as an option to enjoy Emby content in VR.

Edited by Jbbrack03
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Jbbrack03 said:

Alright, I can provide a quick update. As of Server 4.6.1.0 Emby is showing up properly in Bigscreen and I can play content through Bigscreen. The only lingering issue that I can find is that progress is not synced between what is viewed in Bigscreen through DLNA and Emby itself. I tested by watching about 15 minutes of a movie, stopping and waiting 15 minutes, and then checking Emby. It still shows that the particular movie has not been played and it doesn't show an option to resume. If this can be sorted, then Bigscreen will 100% be viable as an option to enjoy Emby content in VR.

We'll take a look at it. Thanks for reporting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

romeyn

I just updated to 4.6.0.1 on my Synology.  Bigscreen on my Quest 2 still sees Emby, but just pinwheels when I try to connect.  Anything I can provide to help diagnose this?

10 hours ago, romeyn said:

I just updated to 4.6.0.1 on my Synology.  Bigscreen on my Quest 2 still sees Emby, but just pinwheels when I try to connect.  Anything I can provide to help diagnose this?

Yes indeed there is:

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Is anyone on the beta server and can try a test build of the DLNA plugin for me? I have some changes that could potentially make a difference. Thanks.

gihayes

I just tested with the latest DLNA update on my Beta Server and the results were the same, Just a spinning wheel after selecting the server. My main server was shut down when I tested. Also Debug was on.. I opened Bigscreen and tried to connect to my Beta Server around 01:20 in the log and got the spinning wheel. I then closed Bigscreen and opened Skybox and connected (around 01:24 in the log) to my Beta Server. It connected immediately. I was able to select and play media with no problems. Attached the log file that was active during the process.

I also tested with the previous update and got the same result.

embyserver (1).txt

Edited by gihayes

33 minutes ago, gihayes said:

I just tested with the latest DLNA update on my Beta Server and the results were the same, Just a spinning wheel after selecting the server. My main server was shut down when I tested. Also Debug was on.. I opened Bigscreen and tried to connect to my Beta Server around 01:20 in the log and got the spinning wheel. I then closed Bigscreen and opened Skybox and connected (around 01:24 in the log) to my Beta Server. It connected immediately. I was able to select and play media with no problems. Attached the log file that was active during the process.

I also tested with the previous update and got the same result.

embyserver (1).txt 7.34 MB · 0 downloads

OK so this does tell us a little. It requests the list of top level folders:

2023-04-14 01:23:38.571 Debug DLNA: Browse ObjectID: 0, Browse flag: BrowseDirectChildren, Browse filter: *

We respond, but then it keeps sending the same request over and over. So most likely it doesn't like something about the response. The question is what.

gihayes

Yep. Bigscreen doesn't connect to the DLNA server on my phone either.

Edited by gihayes
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, gihayes said:

Yep. Bigscreen doesn't connect to the DLNA server on my phone either.

Can you spin up a portable test server without setting up any libraries and then see what happens?

Then if that succeeds, set up one library that just has an empty folder but no media. And then if that succeeds, add one single video to that folder.

The results of that will help me narrow down what it’s choking on. Thanks.

gihayes

I will do that. But in the meantime, the DLNA server on my phone had no media, I added media to it's folders and then Bigscreen was able to connect.

I will perform your suggestions above and repost logs.

• Thanks 1

gihayes

Ok. Log attached. I removed all libraries from my beta server I opened Bigscreen and was able to connect to my beta server (around 13:15)  but got the message "No supported videos to show in this folder". But hey, at least it connected! I then closed Bigscreen.

Next I added an empty movie library to the beta server. I opened Bigscreen and tried to connect,  (around 13:19) but only got the spinning wheel. I closed Bigscreen.

Next I added 1 mp4 video file to the the newly created library. I opened Bigscreen (around 13:24) but only got the spinning wheel again.

Additionally, Bigscreen is duplicating server names to click on, it does this for my regular server also. Both names produce the same results. It does not present a duplicate name for the DLNA server on my phone. 

Also it seems Bigscreen has been doing a bit of updating lately. 2 updates in the last couple of days.

embyserver (1).txt

Edited by gihayes

58 minutes ago, gihayes said:

Ok. Log attached. I removed all libraries from my beta server I opened Bigscreen and was able to connect to my beta server (around 13:15)  but got the message "No supported videos to show in this folder". But hey, at least it connected! I then closed Bigscreen.

Next I added an empty movie library to the beta server. I opened Bigscreen and tried to connect,  (around 13:19) but only got the spinning wheel. I closed Bigscreen.

Next I added 1 mp4 video file to the the newly created library. I opened Bigscreen (around 13:24) but only got the spinning wheel again.

Additionally, Bigscreen is duplicating server names to click on, it does this for my regular server also. Both names produce the same results. It does not present a duplicate name for the DLNA server on my phone. 

Also it seems Bigscreen has been doing a bit of updating lately. 2 updates in the last couple of days.

embyserver (1).txt 4.99 MB · 0 downloads

When you added the empty movie library, did the library have an image?

gihayes

No, only a generic image.

Also after adding the single file when I was testing, I made sure it was available in the library before testing it with Bigscreen.

gihayes

Do I put in the plugins folder in the programdata folder or the system folder, or both. Each already has the plugin. Do I replace in both?

Edited by gihayes

gihayes

I backed up and replaced the dll in both folders. Created a movies library and left it empty. Then tried to connect in Bigscreen. The results were the same, spinning wheel (around 18:02). I then deleted the movie library and tried to connect (around 18:05) and like before, it connected immediately and said "No supported videos to show in this folder"

embyserver (1).txt

Edited by gihayes