Questions about Apple TV app (switching from Shield)

cybergrimes

cybergrimes

Hello, I got an Apple TV 4K yesterday and I think I really like it. It's a change after using a Shield for years but anyway, a few questions/feedback on the Emby app...

1) Turned on the MPV player, works great so far including HDR tone mapping-- not even seeing what the coming changes in 1.4.9 (0) will bring for the tone mapping!
2) Can I get an invite to TestFlight?

I'm curious about some quality of life/aesthetic stuff I'm use to in the Shield app, should I expect these in the future?

1) Alpha picker on the side of the movies section-- is this planned here?
2) 30 second skip forward and 10 second back during playback? Chapter selection and BIF images in the FF/RW functions?
3) Truncated folder names on the home screen like "Recorded mo..." and "Recorded sho...", also the icons that are normally with these menu items?
4) Themes? I'm going to miss Blue Radiance if I stay on Apple... and it's such a good theme!

These are just little things really, core functionality is great, I'm just trying to set expectations and help decide if I'll keep the device.

Thanks!

Edited by cybergrimes

vdatanet
2 hours ago, cybergrimes said:

Can I get an invite to TestFlight?

Send a PM to @ebr providing him your app store mail.

2 hours ago, cybergrimes said:

These are just little things really, core functionality is great, I'm just trying to set expectations and help decide if I'll keep the device

The current beta includes HDR tone-mapping in MPV player, there is no HDR pass-through (the HDR light on the TV will not turn on) but the quality is very correct. There's also no automatic refresh rate adjustment, but if you don't have judder issues, it's not a big issue. The biggest limitation you will find are the supported sound formats. Many formats, for example DTS, will require remux, which in some cases may require full transcoding or a bad video output (HEVC with green artifacts)

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes anything you see in the other apps is planned for this app as well. thanks.

That's great! 😀

cybergrimes

thanks @vdatanet
It all works out just fine for me... I don't care that much about HDR, so a good tone map is acceptable. I usually just rip the BR copy from my 4K disc purchases for space reasons. I also use a Sonos Playbase which can only do standard Dolby so I convert the audio track and insert the Dolby track as primary for all my disc rips.

If I ever get around to finishing my theater room I'll use something that is a solid Direct Play for all formats...

sfatula
On 10/16/2020 at 11:30 AM, cybergrimes said:

thanks @vdatanet
It all works out just fine for me... I don't care that much about HDR, so a good tone map is acceptable. I usually just rip the BR copy from my 4K disc purchases for space reasons. I also use a Sonos Playbase which can only do standard Dolby so I convert the audio track and insert the Dolby track as primary for all my disc rips.

If I ever get around to finishing my theater room I'll use something that is a solid Direct Play for all formats...

I do the same for all my non DVR content. So, playback not an issue. The issue I have still is with recording live tv, which several channels are interlaced. Those do not play back well at all. So, I am currently using Infuse instead. Worse is interlaced live TV, huge stutters, unwatchable. I've been using flac for > 5.1 audio so I don't lose back channels.

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
sward

I too would definitely appreciate the " 30 second skip forward and 10 second back during playback" functionality that was available with my nVidia Shield.