CDG+MP3 Karaoke support in Emby

dexus

I have searched the Feature Requests thread, and I know similar requests have been made, but only for general karaoke support with people requesting support for old depreciated formats as .mid and .kar.

CDG+MP3 is by far the most common file format in Karaoke, and also the format used by most professionals. The sound and music quality is by far superior to the midi based file formats.

CDG+MP3 is also directly supported in Ffmpeg, and can be transcoded on the fly using a simple command.  The video format is only 300x216 (304x224 buffer dimension) so transcoding it would be very cpu friendly.

The Ffmpeg command to convert the file is as follows:

ffmpeg -copyts -i "01 - Rihanna - Russian Roulette.cdg" -i "01 - Rihanna - Russian Roulette.mp3" -b:v 1M -y "01 - Rihanna - Russian Roulette.MP4"

This will force a 1meg video.. I don't know if that is a necessity, as it will produce a larger file than if you omit the -b:v 1M -y option..
The -copyts is there to ignore timestamps in the files, as sometimes this will induce a sync issue with the lyrics shown. Works flawlessly.

Now, cdg+mp3 files are normally stored in .zip files to keep them together and for easy management.  If there is a problem unzipping and using the files then deleting them after use, I see no problem unzipping the files and leaving them as pairs on the server.. The zipping is purely for ease of use and does not offer much of a space requirement reduction.

Please consider this, as a Karaoke Jockey as a side gig, I know a lot of people enjoy this, and in these covid times, no shows are held, and people need entertaining.  I serve my immediate family and friends with content, and to be able to add karaoke singing on the fly with emby would be a valuable addition.

Best regards,

dexus.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Thanks for taking an interest.  This would surely put Emby above any other streaming platform in terms of media support, and multi use value.  I know Kodi and Plex support cdg+mp3, but they are not built for streaming across the vast internets... 

• 8 months later...
On 10/11/2020 at 10:11 AM, Luke said:

Karaoke is not a bad idea for the future. Thanks for the feedback.

Any news on karaoke request?

Regards

44 minutes ago, NETFY said:

Any news on karaoke request?

Regards

Hi, not yet, sorry. We are monitoring it for community feedback. Thanks.

mrfragger
On 10/11/2020 at 3:00 AM, dexus said:

I see no problem unzipping the files and leaving them as pairs on the server.. The zipping is purely for ease of use and does not offer much of a space requirement reduction

Mp3 not opus doesn’t compress at all but cdg files compress at about 90%. I do your ffmpeg command and made the opus and cdg into an mp4 but file was 2.5x than those two. I continue to just use VLC as it works. 

mollat
On 6/30/2021 at 5:53 AM, Luke said:

Would love that too... ! 👋

• 5 months later...
On 6/30/2021 at 1:53 PM, Luke said:

Get this support and you wins over some Plex users (lot of request on Plex for karaoke support) and a large Asian audiences they are Karaoke mad 

from Japan to Vietnam to China  potential some big market there

Edited by usenet