Emby DLNA not appearing in list of DLNA servers.

william emby conn

william emby conn

I have five DLNA severs on my network and the Emby DLNA server is the only one that is not always there. I have to restart Emby to get it to appear. I noticed there was many users complaining about this in a thread in January 2019. You have had multiple Windows server releases since then and it still isn't fixed. Given how stable my others servers are it can't be that difficult.

• Like 1

Hi, what you can do is lower the blast message interval in DLNA settings, then Emby Server will notify devices on your network more often. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Harald72

I have the very same problem as william. In the past days I tried out several DLNA servers. The setup is as follows:

- Two servers (Plex and Emby) were installed on my Windows PC. Another server is provided by my Router (AVM Fritzbox).

- The client is a Samsung BD-J7500 BluRay player. A 2015 or 2016 model.

- All equipment is connected via Ethernet.

The results are as follows:

- The Samsung shows the Plex server as well as the AVM Fritzbox server in the list of DLNA servers but not Emby.

- On the other hand I can reach the Emby web interface from the Samsung using its built-in web browser. It is also possible to remote control the playback on the Samsung from the Emby server that is installed on the PC.

- The Emby server is also visible for another DLNA device, my AV receiver Yamaha RX-A880, a 2018 model.

I already tried to reduce the "blast alive" interval significantly (from 600 to 20) but to no avail.

What else can I do? It would be a pity if I could not use Emby because it seems that Emvy presents the media on the client exactly in the way I want it (unline Plex that bothers with many subfolders).

I am using Emby 4.5.2.0. My PC runs on Windows 10 version 1909. The Samsung has the latest firmware. Of course I followed the usual tips like updating, restarting, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Harald

• Like 1

Harald72

Dear Luke,

Restarting the server did not help, unfortunately.

I am attaching the log file for the relevant period (@Sammy, indeed I left that out in my first post because I thought it might not be necessary). Probably the interesting part starts at "2020-10-18 00:36:50.003". There seems to be some form of communication between my Samsung BD-J7500 and the Emby Server but it does not result in Emby being shown in the Samsung. For the log file I enabled both "Debug" under DLNA and "Debug" under "Logs".

To exclude problems with my Windows 10 PC I installed Emby and another DLNA server (Gerbera) on a Raspberry Pi. Again, the Samsung recognised Gerbera on the Raspi but not Emby. So there must be something about the combination Emby/Samsung.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Harald

embyserver-2.txt

@Luke If it's any help to you, I have the same issue with same symptom's and conditions as Harald72.

I don't have Fritzbox but other DLNA servers.  Emby is the only one that will never show up on my Samsung TV as a Server but I can still cast to it.  It's also very slow to show up even in Windows for me. Changing the beacon interval is not a help either.

The Samsung TV shows up in Emby for casting to it but going into devices on the Samsung TV itself is where the issue is. No Emby showing up there so you can't get to the media driving it from the TV.

Harald72

Hi Luke,

To overcome the problems with DLNA discovery I managed to install the old Emby app on my BD-J7500. However, I cannot play all the video files. The newer videos I have are encoded in H.264 level 4.2 but the BD-J7500 supports H.264 only up to level 4.1. This was actually the reason why I started looking for a DLNA server which is capable of transcoding videos on-the-fly. But how do I set the transcoding appropriately? I could not find any documentation on the DLNA Profiles feature.

Harald

2 hours ago, Harald72 said:

Hi Luke,

To overcome the problems with DLNA discovery I managed to install the old Emby app on my BD-J7500. However, I cannot play all the video files. The newer videos I have are encoded in H.264 level 4.2 but the BD-J7500 supports H.264 only up to level 4.1. This was actually the reason why I started looking for a DLNA server which is capable of transcoding videos on-the-fly. But how do I set the transcoding appropriately? I could not find any documentation on the DLNA Profiles feature.

Harald

How old of a version did you go back to? I should have the discovery resolved for the next release. You can try it on the beta channel in the next day or two.

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, Harald72 said:

The newer videos I have are encoded in H.264 level 4.2 but the BD-J7500 supports H.264 only up to level 4.1. This was actually the reason why I started looking for a DLNA server which is capable of transcoding videos on-the-fly. But how do I set the transcoding appropriately?

This isn't anything documented and UI doesn't really help as not every variable is editable in UI.  Looking directly at the profile xml show more as you would set a codecprofile.

Example from existing profiles.

<CodecProfile type="Video" codec="h264">
      <Conditions>
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="Width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="Height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="VideoLevel" value="41" isRequired="true" />
      </Conditions>
      <ApplyConditions />
    </CodecProfile>

Googling "writing profiles for dlna devices" and you can see the other guys document as dlna is pretty much universal.

Regarding visibility, If you'd like to try the beta server, I'm curious to know if version 4.6.0.3+ helps with this. Thanks.

Harald72

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your efforts. I installed the 4.6.0.3 beta. Unfortunately Emvy is still not showing up on my Samsung BD-J7500 while Plex installed on the same PC does (as does the DLNA server on my router). I reduced both the discovery period and the alive notifications to 20 seconds but still no success. I am wondering what's so special with Samsung when it comes to DLNA. Do you need again the log file?

@Happy2Play: Thank you for pointing this out. It may be that Emby's Samsung profile is working for me but I can find this out only once my Samsung recognizes the server... When it comes to defining the profiles it seems to me though that the concept is generic but every server uses its own syntax for the profiles. For example you can find extensive documentation on creating a DLNA device profile at https://forums.plex.tv/t/writing-profiles-for-dlna-devices/38060. However, the tags and attributes used for Plex differ from the example you quoted above. So it would be really helpful to have a full documentation of how to create or modify a profile for Emby.

Kind regards,

Harald

Harald72

Here it is. Again I turned on general logging as well as DLNA logging. It seems the server does recognize the Samsung device (BD-J7500) yet Emby does not appear as DLNA server on the device.

Thank you for your help.

Harald

embyserver.txt

• 3 months later...

Hi, would you mind trying Emby Server 4.6+ (as of today in  beta), combined with the 1.0.45 Dlna plugin update(or greater)?

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !