Back button behaveor

ccastilla

ccastilla

I see this a inconsistency, but not necessarily an error.

When clicking on the back button in any library or folder, Emby it will first take you to the top left movie or show of the screen, and when pressing back again, it will take you back one screen.

On the home screen, when pressing back, it will not take you to the top left, it will give the pop-up asking if you want to leave Emby. If I'm anywhere in the home screen I would expect to be taken to the top left, like on any other screen

This is sometimes confusing, as the behavior is different in different screens. Even on the main Android TV home screen (not Emby), pressing back will take you to the left most app on the top row (Emby in my case)

mark-in-dallas

The Home page is in effect the start page, so if you are at the start and click back its logical that would mean exiting the app.

Hi.  I kind of agree with you but I fear introducing these extra steps to move backwards would be met with much negative feedback.  The only place the back button takes you back to the top is in a grid view of data.  On all of the "row-based" views, it does not do that.

If we were to follow the YT methodology, the first back would take you to the first item in the row/grid then the next one would take you to the top of the screen and then the next one would take you to the previous screen, etc.

While that makes some sense, even I find myself getting frustrated with how many clicks it takes to get out of the YT app...

• Like 1

ccastilla

Hi Ebr,

Maybe it because of the way, I have my setup. I have multiple libraries, kind of like one library by genre. So in effect I have multiple rows in the home screen. When I want to exit the app, I don't hit back multiple times, I just click the Home button.

Maybe allowing a long press to take you to the top left.

I think that for me, I don't use Android as my phone, so I was never used to having a back button, and clicking the home button was the only option to close an app. For TV, I think that the Shield is by far the best device, and now with the scaler it is even better.

Thanks for all of the great work.

13 hours ago, ccastilla said:

Maybe allowing a long press to take you to the top left.

Hi.  Long-press of the back button already takes you directly home.

ccastilla

Hello,

I know it does, but only when you are not on the home screen. I was thinking of long press on the home screen to take you to the top left.

This is a nice to have, but not in any way a deal breaker. I understand that my preferences are just that my preferences and that doesn't mean they are anyone else's.

I also see all of the good work and constant improvements in all of the apps and in the server itself. I appreciate the open communication.

I want to say that I have and I am enjoying Emby.

CBers
7 minutes ago, ccastilla said:

I was thinking of long press on the home screen to take you to the top left.

It does already. 

On 10/10/2020 at 11:59 AM, CBers said:

It does already. 

Yes. please try it and let us know if it doesn't work for you.

ccastilla

I stand corrected. That is exactly what I want. Thanks!!!!

This is what makes Emby great, not just the features, the response from the developers and the community.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
dRuEFFECT

i also prefer a single press of the back button on the home screen should return to the top of the home screen, just as a press and hold does, but once in that top section of the home screen to THEN prompt for one last press in order to exit... plex behaves this way and i like that. if i'm deep in the emby menu's i generally spam back until i get to the home screen. i now know i can just hold back to jump straight there which is nice, but it will take some retraining, so i'm just voicing my preference here that i still think the home screen should jump back to top position before prompting an exit.