Apple TV Direct-stream for H265

charlesbosquet

charlesbosquet

I manage a video library for ten French producers. Their DVDs and Blu-Ray have all been encoded in H265 (MKV container) format.
In all, nearly 23,500 films.
Emby Server is perfectly tuned and organized.
For their part, users are generally equipped with an Android tablet, Windows PC, Mac Book and especially the Nvidia Shield.
All UHD, HEVC, H265 content is perfectly read on the Nvidia Shield, without any lag ...
Some have started to equip themselves with Apple TV 4K. And there, it is the disaster, poor image quality, lag, hyper slow navigation ...
Why does the Emby app for Apple TV not play live streaming files?
It's perfectly possible with VLC, why not directly with the Emby client?
Thank you for your reply.

vdatanet
20 minutes ago, charlesbosquet said:

I manage a video library for ten French producers. Their DVDs and Blu-Ray have all been encoded in H265 (MKV container) format.
In all, nearly 23,500 films.
Emby Server is perfectly tuned and organized.
For their part, users are generally equipped with an Android tablet, Windows PC, Mac Book and especially the Nvidia Shield.
All UHD, HEVC, H265 content is perfectly read on the Nvidia Shield, without any lag ...
Some have started to equip themselves with Apple TV 4K. And there, it is the disaster, poor image quality, lag, hyper slow navigation ...
Why does the Emby app for Apple TV not play live streaming files?
It's perfectly possible with VLC, why not directly with the Emby client?
Thank you for your reply.

At this time, HDR content is only supported in MP4 container using native player and if bitrate is too high, video freezes. Regarding MKV streaming:

1. Using native player: HLS fMP4 streaming is not supported by Emby, so HEVC is transcoded to H264. If content is HDR, then colors are washed.
  2. Using MPV player: Frame rate and Dynamic Range match is not supported, HDR content looks ugly

@Luke talked about a new MPV build coming soon, but I don't know what improvements it will include

RanmaCanada

We've been waiting literally years at this point for proper 4k playback on the Apple TV from MKV sources.  If Plex, et al can do it, I don't understand how Emby could be having such a difficult time getting it to work.

vdatanet

Today a new beta has come out (1.4.9 (0)), HDR content looks much better, although HDR does trigger on TV, so I guess it's tone mapping HDR to SDR.

Edited by vdatanet

sooty234

mpv has no mechanism to pass HDR metadata to the display with Apple or Android. So it will be tone-mapped. Windows 10 is the only platform it can pass the metadata, at present. I don't believe it's even possible for them to do it with Apple. I think it's possible with Android, but haven't read anything that suggests they are intending to make that happen.

vdatanet

After such a long time, I am satisfied with the HDR to SDR tone mapping, I can live without HDR passthrough.

Now we need to fix the problem when certain HEVC content requires remux (DTS -> AC3) and green artifacts appear. But that's another story and needs to be fixed at the server level.

• 3 weeks later...
Waldemar Jost
On 10/9/2020 at 8:18 PM, vdatanet said:

Today a new beta has come out (1.4.9 (0)), HDR content looks much better, although HDR does trigger on TV, so I guess it's tone mapping HDR to SDR.

Sorry for the dumb question... just tried it out and dont see any differnece between the native player and the selected MPV Player option in the settings menu... the picture through infuse is still the best one for 4k HEVC HDR... 

On 10/9/2020 at 9:27 PM, vdatanet said:

After such a long time, I am satisfied with the HDR to SDR tone mapping, I can live without HDR passthrough.

Now we need to fix the problem when certain HEVC content requires remux (DTS -> AC3) and green artifacts appear. But that's another story and needs to be fixed at the server level.

Which settings do you use now?

vdatanet
2 hours ago, Waldemar Jost said:

Sorry for the dumb question... just tried it out and dont see any differnece between the native player and the selected MPV Player option in the settings menu... the picture through infuse is still the best one for 4k HEVC HDR... 

Which settings do you use now?

Using the native player, colors are washed out, because transcoding is required. Using MPV player, HDR is not activated, but tonemapping is done and the result is very similar to Infuse, perhaps a little less brilliant, but the differences are difficult to assess.

Waldemar Jost

Ok, in my case a trascoding is required in both variants... because i have a 1080p TV... i thought the problem is fixied with transcodings too...

vdatanet
1 minute ago, Waldemar Jost said:

Ok, in my case a trascoding is required in both variants... because i have a 1080p TV... i thought the problem is fixied with transcodings too...

Strange, post the transcoding log, the reason must be other, I have a 1080p TV in my bedroom, using MPV player I have direct play with tone mapping, and Apple TV downscales to 1080p