User Preference Persistance

luser

This feature request is requesting that the "Settings Theme" and "Theme" preferences be stored in a conf file, instead of in the browser cache.

themes.thumb.png.4fcda19fbb6d72a86ab68da6ea5448b8.png

I understand that a number of preferences are stored in browser cache and are reset when the browser's cache is cleared.

I was hoping these preferences could be saved somewhere, where persistence would be possible across devices and without having to whitelist cache locations.

It's just annoying changing the themes and subtitle settings every time I log into Emby, it seems like a very easy change.

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by luser
  • Like 3

Happy2Play
39 minutes ago, luser said:

The regular "Theme" persists and I assume it's contained in a conf file somewhere.

No it does not persist either.  The Default theme is Dark and Settings theme is Light.  But since these settings are Device/Client specific, I do not see a way to make them persistent.

2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

No it does not persist either.  The Default theme is Dark and Settings theme is Light.  But since these settings are Device/Client specific, I do not see a way to make them persistent.

Thanks for the clarification. I think this should also be included in a conf file.

Happy2Play

At the same time you could not have different themes on different clients if it were a static config file.  So you will have the argument on both sides.

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

At the same time you could not have different themes on different clients if it were a static config file.  So you will have the argument on both sides.

I think the themes should persist for each individual user. User A likes light theme. User B likes dark theme. I see it as a convenience that this setting would persist across devices for individual users. Anyway, that's my two cents. Thanks for chiming in.

Happy2Play

But what do users do when they want different themes on each device?  If this request were to happen then we could no longer have device specific themes.

18 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But what do users do when they want different themes on each device?  If this request were to happen then we could no longer have device specific themes.

Fair point

I suggest either a global switch/drop-down or a per-user switch/drop-down with two options: "Save Preferences in Cache" / "Save References in Conf (Persistent)"