Audio sync errors after fast forwarding recorded TV

Rogero54

bungee91

I get the reason for the merge, but since this seems to be almost certainly related to Exo in the Android Tv app it's somewhat out of place here. I mean I care all of zero if you fix it, but in the interim it's not well sorted.

Edited by bungee91

bungee91

I appreciate any help and effort around this topic, however knowing at times around here the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and also this being a real non-trivial issue as part of the foundation of playback for watching recordings/Live Tv (and this going on for over a year....) on ATV.

If we want one merged topic to discuss, we should add the people who are likely still dealing with this, at some point thinking it was something wrong with their particular setup, defending Emby to their wife's (maybe husbands, but less likely), and then also thinking about trying out Plex cause this drives them absolutely bonkers (maybe that's a stretch universally, but I did think about it! )  

@jboydude  @mbarylski @seanbuff  @aja07  is this an issue you've just learned to deal with lately? I'm sure there's more people who just haven't posted about it.  

If putting pressure on Exo devs would help, just let me know who or where to lodge the complaint. If an external player for LiveTv playback is an option for now, or again an easy way to force transcode without just lowering the bitrate is an option, please just let me know.

Spaceboy

Happens maybe once a day for me. I’ve just learned to live with it. Just stop the video and resume. Complained about it to ebr before, he didn’t seem that interested. To me it feels like it got worse in the last year but I haven’t tracked exoplayer updates closely enough to know anything more specific 

justinrh

We watch movies with commercials (yeah!), so we skip thru them and we'll see the problem nearly every commercial break.

I have discovered that if you pause the video, then FF, then play, you don't see the issue.

Still see this whenever we skip over commercials, but a skip back generally fixes this till the next set of commercials.  Have learned to live this in anticipation of the "upcoming" revised TV module.

bungee91

Thank you all for the input and confirmation.

Is everyone with this issue using an Nvidia Shield, and Passthrough to a receiver?

Trying to narrow this down if at all possible. Again my other two shields hooked directly to Tv's I've never experienced this issue. 

bungee91
17 hours ago, ebr said:

Also, is it always a Dolby audio track?

All of my recordings are just by default, so I'll do some testing with 2-channel audio to confirm.

17 hours ago, justinrh said:

I do not have a receiver; I use the TV audio, which spits out to a soundbar.

Uncertain the settings, but if it's bitstreaming, or basically passing it through for the soundbar to decode then I'd assume it would be the same situation (as a receiver doing the decode, regardless of the chain/order of connected devices).

• 4 weeks later...
bungee91

I'm fairly certain the Nvidia Experience 9 update has resolved this issue. Interested to hear other's experience after applying the update.

9 hours ago, bungee91 said:

I'm fairly certain the Nvidia Experience 9 update has resolved this issue. Interested to hear other's experience after applying the update.

That would be an awesome surprise.

bungee91
15 minutes ago, justinrh said:

The update didn't help for me - audio still gets out-of-sync after FF.

Unfortunate to hear. I'm also a bit surprised as I have had 5 football games worth of testing behind the "live" point to skip around in the last couple of days to test with zero issues (that is unheard of before, I'd have skipped back to sync this back up almost every time a commercial break was skipped through). I'm also certain nothing else changed in my configuration, settings, etc. to help resolve this.

All of my testing has been with in-progress MPEG-4 recordings with Dolby audio (HDHR cable tuner), haven't tried with my MPEG-2 recordings (HRDR OTA). By chance are yours OTA recordings? Just trying to get more info.  

• 1 month later...
bungee91
4 hours ago, justinrh said:

I tested this a few times after the 9.0.1 Shield update and did not see a problem.  Maybe it is fixed now?

Just to follow-up here, this is completely solved for me after the 9.0 update. Haven't had a single occurrence of this happening regardless of CC or OTA content. 😎

• 1 month later...
Spaceboy

the current incarnation of this seems to be the video just stops but the audio keeps going. stopping and restarting fixes fine

justinrh

I haven't seen that, but still see the audio sync get messed up, just not as often.  Or is it because I've gotten into the habit of pausing before FF?  Hmmm.