Audio sync errors after fast forwarding recorded TV

Rogero54

• 1 month later...
bungee91
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Is it consistent in the same spot?

Me or OP? For me, no it is completely random and not specific to reproduce but very much still occurs at times frequent enough to be an open issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Luke, I have the same problem and I agree it's been there for a while.  After I fast forward if I get out of the show and enter back in that seems to resync thing.  Let me know what I can send to help you recreate this.

• 2 weeks later...
bungee91
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Hi, has this advice resolved your issue? Are you still running into this?

What advice? Yes it is very much still occurring. I've also converted to MKV with the convert feature and it still occurs (so not specifically a .TS playback issue). 

• 1 month later...
veehexx1

i noticed an issue with transcode throttling that appears to be similar to this issue.

transcode throttling off = audio sync issues, throttling on = perfect.

i haven't done any useful checks yet to submit a bug but i'm transcoding on linux, nvidia gpu, and noticed the audio sync issue on my shield pro 2019.

Hi, have you seen this error on any other clients (if you have them) or just the Shield?

Rogero54

I only have shields. Did make the change suggested by veehexx1 and watched one recorded show. Don't think there were any sync errors, but by now it is just second nature to back up  bit to resync, so need to do more testing.

Rogero54

I have been running with throttling on since the 18th. Originally thought that we solved it, but nope, still happening. Maybe not quite as much, but still there.

OK thanks for testing that. Was a long shot but eliminates it non the less.

When playing back recorded TV, is it direct playing, streaming or transcoding?

If you force a transcode (assuming it wasn't already transcoding) is the issue still present?

• 6 months later...
bungee91

Adding to this, I gave up reporting or talking about it......... 😕

I've learned to accept the "skip back one step" to fix it solution that others with the issue have mentioned as a workaround. I personally think this is only a direct stream issue with .TS files, as it is most notable during a long in-progress recording session (such as an NFL game for me). 

• 4 weeks later...
bungee91

I see this has been reported many times (including by myself), and also confirmed to be an issue (last example). 

It is maddening, and tiresome to deal with. It seems much more frequent with a direct stream, however does still occur with a direct play (which is only an option after the recording is finished).

I'm more than willing to provide logs and details (and have previously), however just want to know if there's effort to getting this fixed? Yes I know LiveTv is going through a substantial rebuild, so if this is not planned to be fixed by itself and hoping to be fixed with that release, please let me know. In the mean time, I believe forcing a full transcode fixes this issue (not an ideal solution, however neither is skipping back once after skipping commercials), however is there a way to force that on my client without just lowering the bitrate?

I have 3 Shields, and this doesn't seem to occur on the two with 2-channel Tv speakers. It happens often and frequently on the one setup with passthrough and hooked to an AV receiver.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

justinrh
7 hours ago, bungee91 said:

It is maddening, and tiresome to deal with.

Thank you raising this again.  (I was contemplating doing the same.)  I don't know what the Emby folks need to do besides report it to the Exo devs.  With it being so easy to reproduce, Emby should be able to debug it by now, but Emby's attitude/response seems to indicate it is on the back-burner.  Is Emby the only app with this problem?  Probably not.  Emby needs to help put pressure on Exo to fix it.

Maybe we all should log an issue with Exo .

Edited by justinrh