Subtitles Not Appearing When Streaming to Chromecast

rgreen73

Hello,

I have been having an issue with subtitles for certain films when streaming to an older Chromecast and am having a hard time pinning down the cause of this, so was wondering if anybody else is having this issue.  While I have found various posts about this issue in the recent past, I have not found anything to explain and/or resolve the issue.

Details:

1. This occurs while streaming from Windows or Linux machine, so I do not think it is a problem that is related to the install or the OS.
  2. The subtitles do show when playing through a browser, on an Android phone, or streaming to a Roku streaming stick, so it seems to be a "Chromecast-only" issue.
  3. When streaming to the Chromecast, the subtitles will momentarily appear when the video is started, but disappear after about 0.5 seconds.
  4. This problem "seems" independent of file type/format (although I doubt this is the case).

• I am currently running Emby Server 4.4.3.0 (Win10/Linux Mint 19.3).
  • I think have tried almost every combination of configuration adjustments over the past two weeks in order to resolve this, but so far have had no success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Update 1 (21.09.2020):  I installed Jellyfin last night and it has no issues showing subtitles when streaming to the Chromecast, so this seems to be an Emby issue.
Edited by rgreen73
Update

• 2 weeks later...
wmichael3

Can confirm exact same problem on 4.6.0.1 - the momentary SRT subtitle that disappears.  However .idx/.sub format subtitles do still work - although skipping forward or backward with those turned on - well, don't count on it working.  Yeah, every other source with subtitles works fine to a Chromecast.

Tested on multiple files - none displays subtitles to Chromecast, subtitles display fine on Android phone.  Attached sample log.

ffmpeg-remux-b8490c0b-752c-4f05-8d34-cd02ae5605bf_1.txt

Edited by wmichael3
Attached log

Edit: My CC is actually a 3rd generation, sorry...

Hi Luke, I'm experiencing a similar problem: Playback of a number of files fail showing subtitles when casting to Cromecast, while others show the .srt's perfect on the TV. In all cases, the subs show up fine on both Android phone, tablet and PC.

Emby 4.4.3.0 on Synology DS710+ with DSM 5.2.5967 update 9,  Windows 7 PC, Android 10 on OnePlus 7T Pro, Android 9 on Lenovo M10 FHD Plus, Chromecast 2 firmware 1.49.226077 on Samsung Smart TV UE46H7005S - dashboard says Emby for Chromecast 3.1.0. I have both manually added .srt's and a lot via the OpenSubtitles plugin (naming conventions are followed strictly, and I tried to create a couple with *.forced.srt suffix, but no change).

There might be an issue with the file container: It seems to be mainly (but not exclusively) older files, often .avi's, that fail (although working fine in PC and Android-device playback). While I used to have issues with .mkv's, I found that the TV's subtitle and audio track controls can find and read most of them - but not the older files. I have not been able to pin the problem to a specific container or codec, though, but newer mp4-type files seem to have more succes displaying the subs through the CC...

There might also be a relation to Googles Home app: When I start the app on my phone prior to running Emby, the subs (sometimes) show up for half a second or so, then disappear. Without the Home app running, they don't show up at all... When casting my phone screen directly through the Home app onto the CC, the subs are visible (but obviously, video quality is quite poor, so this is not a feasible workaround...). I also tried to disable 'Always play subtitles' and start them manually in playback, no change.

This is where I got stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated! Log file attached...

Sincerely, Jacob

embyserver.zip

Edited by eosDK

On 9/29/2020 at 3:59 AM, eosDK said:

Edit: My CC is actually a 3rd generation, sorry...

Hi Luke, I'm experiencing a similar problem: Playback of a number of files fail showing subtitles when casting to Cromecast, while others show the .srt's perfect on the TV. In all cases, the subs show up fine on both Android phone, tablet and PC.

Emby 4.4.3.0 on Synology DS710+ with DSM 5.2.5967 update 9,  Windows 7 PC, Android 10 on OnePlus 7T Pro, Android 9 on Lenovo M10 FHD Plus, Chromecast 2 firmware 1.49.226077 on Samsung Smart TV UE46H7005S - dashboard says Emby for Chromecast 3.1.0. I have both manually added .srt's and a lot via the OpenSubtitles plugin (naming conventions are followed strictly, and I tried to create a couple with *.forced.srt suffix, but no change).

There might be an issue with the file container: It seems to be mainly (but not exclusively) older files, often .avi's, that fail (although working fine in PC and Android-device playback). While I used to have issues with .mkv's, I found that the TV's subtitle and audio track controls can find and read most of them - but not the older files. I have not been able to pin the problem to a specific container or codec, though, but newer mp4-type files seem to have more succes displaying the subs through the CC...

There might also be a relation to Googles Home app: When I start the app on my phone prior to running Emby, the subs (sometimes) show up for half a second or so, then disappear. Without the Home app running, they don't show up at all... When casting my phone screen directly through the Home app onto the CC, the subs are visible (but obviously, video quality is quite poor, so this is not a feasible workaround...). I also tried to disable 'Always play subtitles' and start them manually in playback, no change.

This is where I got stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated! Log file attached...

Sincerely, Jacob

embyserver.zip 3.08 kB · 0 downloads

Hi there @eosDK, I don't see any playback activity in the log you provided. Are you sure it's the right one?

Hi again - sorry for that. I did some playback and saved a new log, attached... Do I need to turn on debug logging as well, or is it fine like this?

A couple of new observations: Upon reinstallation of Emby 4.4.3.0 (because of updating problems described in another thread), subs didn't show up on any files. A factory reset of the Chromecast reverted the problem, so now I'm back to only some files not showing the .srt's. In the log, only the last two titles played don't show any subs... The Chromecast 3 displays the same firmware as before, but apparently the reset made some kind of difference (casting over DLNA directly to the TV instead of Chromecast does not give subs on any titles)...

All the best, and thanx for the help!

embyserver.zip

• 2 months later...

Hi, i have this exact issue with 4.5.3. will provide logs later today.

Switching to any other subtitle will show the English (pre selected subtitle)

Edited by MIST_