WAN IP (172.58) tagged as Local IP by Emby

MBSki
Go to solution Solved by MBSki,

You could do what @rbjtech mentioned and restore back to factory defaults to test.

Your router should have the ability to save the configuration so you could save it.  Go back to factory default to test (just remove that one line we added in Emby networking).  You could always go right back to your current version and load your config back.

MBSki

I wish it were that simple. When I reset before the backup configuration file didn't actually save all the settings. Took me another hour to get it re-configured. At this point either they fix it or I switch to a different brand mesh router.

• Solution
MBSki

@Carlos @rbjtech Well, I haven't quite figured it out, but I seem to have determined that port forwarding triggers a NAT loop back. Seems to be a default in the router as I can't find a way to disable it. Although I have asked Netgear support. I'm currently testing out using port triggering instead and it kind of works, although it seems to time out at some point, and when it times out, then I can't get back in.

I don't know why I have to jump through these hoops, but at the moment I am getting local access via WiFi and remote access is working as it should using port triggering. I'm not sure the port triggering solution is going to work as a long term solution though. Either of you have experience with port triggering? Is it an option that will work long term? 

Remote was working fine so you shouldn't need port triggering.

Unless you're saying this helps with the WIFI?

rbjtech

Port triggering is an older, now rarely used method of port forwarding where the ports are only opened when needed, but the downside (as you have discovered) is they close by themselves, leading to unpredictable connections.  If port triggering to the same 'service' works fine but port forwarding does not, then there is something very wrong as they are both doing (almost) exactly the same thing.

Is it worth showing a screen grab of your forwarding config page and maybe your overview page (remove the WAN address) ?

MBSki
6 hours ago, cayars said:

Remote was working fine so you shouldn't need port triggering.

Unless you're saying this helps with the WIFI?

Yes, it fixes the WiFi issue. All my wireless devices show up connecting with a local IP when using port triggering.

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Port triggering is an older, now rarely used method of port forwarding where the ports are only opened when needed, but the downside (as you have discovered) is they close by themselves, leading to unpredictable connections.  If port triggering to the same 'service' works fine but port forwarding does not, then there is something very wrong as they are both doing (almost) exactly the same thing.

Thanks, definitely seems like a bug then. 

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Is it worth showing a screen grab of your forwarding config page and maybe your overview page (remove the WAN address) ?

Here's my port forwarding page. Which overview page are you referring to?

image.thumb.png.6fc2b8f1b383dd0221be73c41e894dc3.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Yes, it fixes the WiFi issue. All my wireless devices show up connecting with a local IP when using port triggering.

Are you referring to in Emby or somewhere else they appear local?

If in Emby does that mean when triggering is on you actually see 192.168 address for them now or do they still show up using the WAN address?

How attached are you to that router?  Can you still return it and exchange it for something else?

MBSki
21 minutes ago, cayars said:

Are you referring to in Emby or somewhere else they appear local?

If in Emby does that mean when triggering is on you actually see 192.168 address for them now or do they still show up using the WAN address?

Yes, in Emby I see the 192.168 address now instead of the WAN address and the show/hide users on local network is working as expected.

22 minutes ago, cayars said:

How attached are you to that router?  Can you still return it and exchange it for something else?

Not that attached other than the fact that I've been all Netgear for almost 2 decades. But, I could switch. At this point it really seems like extremely bad timing and I got the router at the same time as a bad firmware update. If that's not the case though, yea, I'll either return it for something else, or set up my old router to connect to the modem and change the Orbi to an access point. That would actually spread out my WiFi signal better anyways.

• Like 1

rbjtech

Thanks - so this all looks 'normal' to me - so Triggering it works as expected, Forwarding you get the WAN address on wifi ?  If yes, then that is one hell of a serious bug - not to mention security concern.

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Thanks - so this all looks 'normal' to me - so Triggering it works as expected, Forwarding you get the WAN address on wifi ?  If yes, then that is one hell of a serious bug - not to mention security concern.

Yes, pretty messed up.  I'd not be personally wanting to use it and have to setup up triggering for WIFI to look like normal traffic.  But it could be a firmware issue that's fixed in the next release so you never know.

• 6 months later...
MBSki

@cayars I'm still dealing with Netgear about this, BUT, is it possible that Emby views already connected devices differently than never connected devices? I connected to Emby with a new iPhone through Safari, and on that connection it works correction. When connecting on my daily Android phone though, it always thinks I'm local. Is it possible that my daily Android phone always thinks I'm local because it's a "trusted" device? I'm thinking this is just how Emby is configured and has nothing to do with how my Netgear router is routing the traffic. 

What makes you think it thinks your local.. Connection stats or playback.. and are you turning off your Android Wifi during the tests and logging in using your ip or domain?

MBSki
49 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

What makes you think it thinks your local.. Connection stats or playback.. and are you turning off your Android Wifi during the tests and logging in using your ip or domain?

Because of the login screen. on my Android phone when on a cellular connection it shows my local users that should be hidden. On the new iPhone, it properly hides the local user. 

Okay so did you try turning OFF THE WIFI button in your little drop down menu thing at the top... and reload the page.

The Android devices tend to behave strangely when they have both available.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

Okay so did you try turning OFF THE WIFI button in your little drop down menu thing at the top... and reload the page.

The Android devices tend to behave strangely when they have both available.

Yes, of course. Kill WiFi, load Emby app, sign out...local user shows up. Kill the app, load the app again, local user shows up. No matter what I do the local user that SHOULD be hidden, still appears as a user that can login. 

@Hxemby001 @cayars Do you have a different experience on your home networks? 

I personally hide all users.. Its just me.. but I hide all of them. Admin, User, and DLNA3 ( which I never use but was for setup.. )

User:

04_05.2021_133722.jpg.505cc89506eb69f74271dc18c64937ff.jpg

Admin:

04_05.2021_133801.jpg.f32a21b660774933a195ee070ffcb497.jpg

MBSki

Right, but what do you see if you uncheck hide local and the login via cellular connection.

I currently do not have a cellular service... so this might be something for someone else to answer.  ( I also currently deny remote connection as well 😜 )

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Right, but what do you see if you uncheck hide local and the login via cellular connection.

I get manual login screen.  Each setting is honored per Wifi or Cellular setting.

MBSki
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I get manual login screen.  Each setting is honored per Wifi or Cellular setting.

And if you're using a previously connected device and switch to cellular, do your hidden users show up on the manual login screen?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

And if you're using a previously connected device and switch to cellular, do your hidden users show up on the manual login screen?

Well that can never happen as there is a "login" screen and a "manual" login screen so it is impossible for any user to show up on manual login screen.  So I do not understand your question.

MBSki

Right, sorry, I used the wrong terminology. The main login page where you select manual login. What do you see there when on cellular? Do your hidden users show up when using a cellular connection on a previously connected device?

43 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

@cayars Do you have a different experience on your home networks? 

Sorry I don't have an iPhone to test with.