Emby Theater - No Internet

JDizzy

This is probably expensive.. but the football looked to be small enough.. Satellite service is expensive as is the equipment..

Maritime Satellite Internet for Ships, Boats, Yachts, Barges. FleetBroadband, Iridium, iDirect (groundcontrol.com)

I would imagine bringing storage devices and computers would be pretty hard too.. as well if you had an NAS for a large collection. That would be a hot deal though for everybody on the boat for entertainment..

20 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

This is probably expensive.. but the football looked to be small enough.. Satellite service is expensive as is the equipment..

Maritime Satellite Internet for Ships, Boats, Yachts, Barges. FleetBroadband, Iridium, iDirect (groundcontrol.com)

I would imagine bringing storage devices and computers would be pretty hard too.. as well if you had an NAS for a large collection. That would be a hot deal though for everybody on the boat for entertainment..

Then ... Satellite internet. Will be to expensive asper u note .. !! -- and is like impossible to us due de required equipments antenna. And others ...  

About storage ... It expensive right . But it will be not . A lot . Due we can divide it ... And pay for a big hdd .. and install it in an hdd station . ( Something like orico units).  No need to be. Nas. .  ....  And about client apps ... No need a lot of computers. Or equipment like that ..  normally each person has his personnel equipments. ( Computer' smartphone  ..... Etc ).   .. depend of the person it self where it will perform playback 

Server could run in a raspberry pi usin the hhd (inserted in orico unit) ...  

The problem i found was that after a week . Server will be off . ( Due need internet to check is premium ). ...  

And now . 1 question a little apart but that could be use for this too . !!  

!! How can i pass the files info. Downloaded in emby. To another emby server ?   

Example. I have an emby server at home ( with internet ). I add new files and put emby to scan library.  It will download films imagens. And info. ...  Then i want to go to a family farm where we have an emby server ( local server - without internet ) ...  

How can i add the files to emby and the info previous downloaded on the server with internet  .... I ask that due if i press scan library on the server without internet. ( I don't know what will be happening ... Due don't have internet to download nothing ) 

What will happen is... ( this is a case where you have embedded ALL of your metadata into the files, you can embed covers ) If you only plug in your media.. you will get all the basic info and covers will show up.. All of your backdrops, logos, artist/actor images will be gone..

My suggestion would be to use the portable installation, and copy ALL directories pertaining to EMBY into the device or server you are going to after it has gotten its downloaded metadata for the server from a location and setup with internet. You would need a portable device to copy it to.. 

The next part is the setup of the media itself.. has to follow the same paths that are indicated in the Library, so you must keep this in mind when building the EMBY installation. Wherever you install it, it must be copied to the same location especially the libraries. So you may have to have a large device or a drive which can be plugged in.

SATA III Enterprise Hard Drives are guaranteed for a billion read/write cycles, They are limited to about 6TB and 6GB/s, I believe the last time I checked. SAS Drives get larger and are capable of 12 GB/s.

The licensing issue.. that is something harder unless something could be sent some other way from the Devs here to validate it manually for premier subscription.

8 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

What will happen is... ( this is a case where you have embedded ALL of your metadata into the files, you can embed covers ) If you only plug in your media.. you will get all the basic info and covers will show up.. All of your backdrops, logos, artist/actor images will be gone..

My suggestion would be to use the portable installation, and copy ALL directories pertaining to EMBY into the device or server you are going to after it has gotten its downloaded metadata for the server from a location and setup with internet. You would need a portable device to copy it to.. 

The next part is the setup of the media itself.. has to follow the same paths that are indicated in the Library, so you must keep this in mind when building the EMBY installation. Wherever you install it, it must be copied to the same location especially the libraries. So you may have to have a large device or a drive which can be plugged in.

SATA III Enterprise Hard Drives are guaranteed for a billion read/write cycles, They are limited to about 6TB and 6GB/s, I believe the last time I checked. SAS Drives get larger and are capable of 12 GB/s.

The licensing issue.. that is something harder unless something could be sent some other way from the Devs here to validate it manually for premier subscription.

Then ot would be good in case fos possible to do it .

The problems i found are .   

1-- the path location ( and not by the name unit ( it will be different capacity due offline server will have more capacity ..... Online server will be an external drive 1 tb " jist to transfer the files to the other) ...  I could give same name to both drives and create same folders inside .. ----- the problem will be 1 online  server probably will be windows. ( Windows gave letters to drives) .... Amd the other -- 2 offline server will be raspberry as informes before ( raspberry is debian/linux). Linux give to the drives different path and no letters 

2-- continue having the problem of the license "premiere subscription" just 1 week will be working 

About the license . !! ... I don't know . Guys probably it would be possible to create a premiere license for local connections ( just offline ) ....  . We will need an internet probably 1 time when add new medias ... Or it could be upgraded too and include the possibility to transfer media imagens caps ... Film info . Etc .  From another server that download it previously 

This licence. As i told would be just local - only devices connected to same internet will get access on it. .... ( Disable the option to get remote connection ) ..... If i don't have remote connection i can't sell it to any body ... .. will be used just at home or in projects like i told here 

No that's not really possible because a simple proxy in front of Emby would still allow it to be open to the world.

7 hours ago, Midaz said:

Then ot would be good in case fos possible to do it .

The problems i found are .   

1-- the path location ( and not by the name unit ( it will be different capacity due offline server will have more capacity ..... Online server will be an external drive 1 tb " jist to transfer the files to the other) ...  I could give same name to both drives and create same folders inside .. ----- the problem will be 1 online  server probably will be windows. ( Windows gave letters to drives) .... Amd the other -- 2 offline server will be raspberry as informes before ( raspberry is debian/linux). Linux give to the drives different path and no letters 

2-- continue having the problem of the license "premiere subscription" just 1 week will be working 

This, then would be more complicated because of raspberry pi.. gives different paths.. A mini PC running windows 10 could be an option instead of Raspeberry PI..

Something like this.. CHUWI LarkBox Mini PC 4K Tiniest Windows 10 Desktop Intel J4115 Computer 6+128GB | eBay

The WebUI sort of gets around all of this too.. Not for sure about the guy on the NAVY ship.. Might be a lot of users.. The UI is compatible with most devices..

On 3/30/2021 at 1:55 AM, Hxemby001 said:

This, then would be more complicated because of raspberry pi.. gives different paths.. A mini PC running windows 10 could be an option instead of Raspeberry PI..

Something like this.. CHUWI LarkBox Mini PC 4K Tiniest Windows 10 Desktop Intel J4115 Computer 6+128GB | eBay

The WebUI sort of gets around all of this too.. Not for sure about the guy on the NAVY ship.. Might be a lot of users.. The UI is compatible with most devices..

For sure it could be fine. And i could get one equipment like this or similar. . and the only problem will be the licence -- using 2  portable emby like you mention. Could ve fine . I could give same letter to both hdd .. 

The license issue would be something to work out with Luke probably.. I am currently using the free version... I know you plug in the license but I am not for sure about how it works for verification or anything..

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Hxemby001 said:

The license issue would be something to work out with Luke probably.. I am currently using the free version... I know you plug in the license but I am not for sure about how it works for verification or anything..

Yes .. men .. that would be the only problem for me at this moment .   

Due i cant use free version onboard . Because personnel normally have. Smartphones and laptops.  And there is not full playback .. to those devices. 

Right, a stipulation of the free trial time.. for 15 days I think it is.. you have free access using web the browser part however.. but for the apps and Emby Theatre you must have a license. To be able to serve all of the guys up videos.. with all of the different apps; it would require one.

I am not even for sure how the lifetime license would work if your away from shore without an ability to get online for verification. ( Another question I am unsure about right now )

Hopefully someone will post about this here soon.

Wilky13

All we need is a one time verification of Emby Premier to the server and then allow Emby Theater to work indefinitely after that without an internet connection.  I could bring the HTPC/server home for a day, connect it to the internet for verification and to get ET to work, then unplug it and take it back to the US Navy ship to work indefinitely.

Unfortunately, right now it only works on the ship for 1-3 days and then when it can no longer “phone home” because of no internet Emby Theater ceases to function/open.  Have to resort playing through the web browser.

Edited by Wilky13

That is what I thought.. There can be a couple of ways around this... I don't think they would like me to post that on here though... :P

1 minute ago, Hxemby001 said:

That is what I thought.. There can be a couple of ways around this... I don't think they would like me to post that on here though... :P

Right, and, unfortunately, doing this:

27 minutes ago, Wilky13 said:

All we need is a one time verification of Emby Premier to the server and then allow Emby Theater to work indefinitely after that without an internet connection

would make that even easier.  Someone could stand up an illegal streaming service with unlimited access for apps and devices for free (by purchasing a license, validating it and then disputing the charge).

Wilky13
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Right, and, unfortunately, doing this:

would make that even easier.  Someone could stand up an illegal streaming service with unlimited access for apps and devices for free (by purchasing a license, validating it and then disputing the charge).

@ebr but what about people like me?  That have supported Emby since it was Media Browser and have bought a lifetime license TWICE!  There has got to be a way to use Emby Theater without an internet connection (ships, RVs, people who live in remote areas, etc.).  

It’s VERY annoying when it stops working 3-days into deployment and you have to watch everything through the web app for the next 6-months!

Short of going old school with a security dongle this likely can't be changed to give you 6 months of unconnected use. Even doing something like that would require changes to all clients and server and then still wouldn't work for some clients which need to phone home just to work.

What is likely your best best under the current circumstances it to use Kodi as an Emby client and maybe setup a quick install from USB3 for any computers you want to use at sea.

Wilky13
31 minutes ago, cayars said:

Short of going old school with a security dongle this likely can't be changed to give you 6 months of unconnected use. Even doing something like that would require changes to all clients and server and then still wouldn't work for some clients which need to phone home just to work.

What is likely your best best under the current circumstances it to use Kodi as an Emby client and maybe setup a quick install from USB3 for any computers you want to use at sea.

Unfortunately, what we are doing is using Plex Server and Plex Player, they both work fine without an internet connection.  Wish Emby would work like Plex 😪

34 minutes ago, Wilky13 said:

Unfortunately, what we are doing is using Plex Server and Plex Player, they both work fine without an internet connection.  Wish Emby would work like Plex 😪

That can be made to work to a limited extent but you can't logout and back in with other users or use home or other features.  Now sure this gains you anything over using Emby and Kodi or web which allows full login since your accounts are on the server and not internet based.

Wilky13
4 hours ago, cayars said:

That can be made to work to a limited extent but you can't logout and back in with other users or use home or other features.  Now sure this gains you anything over using Emby and Kodi or web which allows full login since your accounts are on the server and not internet based.

Even if you don’t logout or switch users, Emby Theater on Windows 10 stops responding after 3-4 days.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

We're working on improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

Let me know if you create an emby licence to use local or something like that ..  .  As per i talk my plan is to create a server just in local ( allways without internet) -. And as per  @Hxemby001 recommendation ill be using 2 portable server. ... Trying to download the data of movies and tv shows .. in an online portable server then go where the offline portable server is located and  add the data files to this server 

the idea is to use offline server with all the previous imagens . Caps. And info previous  downloaded in online server  with ( android smartphones ... Laptop.. and probably but not sure  android tv "tv box .. chrome cast"  ) 

If your server will never have internet access then you likely will never be able to use any Emby Premiere functionality and will need to use clients that can work without the internet as well.

I'd experiment with a light weight Kodi install with an Emby client or similar. A browser should work as well so maybe try setting up Edge to playback MKV/H.265 content for better direct play ability.

Please note Emby Premiere does not require constant internet access to validate, only occasional, so for most it should be fine.

Yes I think it was 6 to 9 months without Internet at a time.
To me this is a game changer in the way you need to setup and use Emby and your choice of clients is going to be more limited.

I think having clients such as Kodi is really is the way to go for this use case as it can be used with Emby or could read/use the files directly from DISC or a portable NAS directly.  If you use Emby to save NFO and all images with the media this will work really well as all clients are on the same network and you don't really need to stream per say.

This is just a different use case than what Emby is designed for.