Emby Theater - No Internet

JDizzy

Taking it back to the original discussion I have NO objection to licensing the server.  I object to licensing a simple UI app for which you and others alr ady provide free examples.  

All I was asking for was essentially a node locked license that could be applied to a machine at install time and could require the internet at that time.   You know like tons of product do every day.  To move it to another machine could require internet access to release the license in order to move it to a other server.  And put limits on the number of simultanoius streams if you want to prevent a Netflix type of service ....

Sorry wasn't trying to mock you at all.  That was not the intention.  I'm just saying it's much more complex than just providing free clients.  Even if free they would not be able to run offline without checking in at some reasonable time frame which I believe was what you were thinking or suggesting.  The system can't/won't work that way.  This has all been covered many times in the threads.

The "Free Netflix" is not an argument at all but a fact of life and it happens a lot and we have to take precautions for these things to protect our brand.  It's not so much the legal issues but about protecting our software and the brand so our name doesn't get tarnished or associated with piracy's or illegal uses of other people content being sold like a service.

The nutshell view is that Emby MUST take precautions to protect it's brand and systems for both our sake and that of our existing customers.  We can't have situations that could put us in jeopardy with app stores in any way so licensing and app communication for verification is vital and worth every bit of work that goes into it.

Emby isn't looking to re-architect the licensing of the apps or services as it's been well thought out over the years and works quite well for the intended audience of the software which is for a home entertainment system for family use and a few friends.  It's not until people try to push the envelope using it for commercial purposes that they run into issues concerning licensing.

With that said, we still try to accommodate people as much as possible, but our intended audience is family and friends.  Luke is going to look at Theater for you as mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...
Wilky13

@Luke

Any update on this?  

Was just underway for 2 weeks on the US Navy ship and Emby Theater would not open because of no internet.  Electron just hangs.  Had to do navigate and watch everything though the web interface.

fogpuppy

Any way for this to get a little higher priority?  This and the odd issue with the play/pause button not on air-mouse remotes on linux are preventing the use of Emby Theater for our use case too.  The browser works for now for most use cases but the big screen is pretty crummy using the web browser as a UI.

34 minutes ago, fogpuppy said:

Any way for this to get a little higher priority?  This and the odd issue with the play/pause button not on air-mouse remotes on linux are preventing the use of Emby Theater for our use case too.  The browser works for now for most use cases but the big screen is pretty crummy using the web browser as a UI.

We are working on improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

• 1 month later...

My internet went offline for an hour and I couldn't get my Emby client (shield) to connect to the Emby server (Win10 w/ premiere license).  Is there some type of guide on how to configure the server/client to work offline?

P.S. Earlier in this thread there was mention of purchasing an 'unlock' for the shield app, although someone said that wasn't needed with a premier license.  It also sounds like there is some type of known bug as of Oct.  I am very confused on the current status. 

Edited by Baja

7 minutes ago, Baja said:

My internet went offline for an hour and I couldn't get my Emby client (shield) to connect to the Emby server (Win10 w/ premiere license).  Is there some type of guide on how to configure the server/client to work offline?

Hi, Quick question for you.

Before the Internet outage, when was the last time you used the Emby client on the Shield to connect to the same Emby Server?

18 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, Quick question for you.

Before the Internet outage, when was the last time you used the Emby client on the Shield to connect to the same Emby Server?

Same day, maybe a few hours prior.  It has been the same setup for months now with regular usage.  And it works great as long as the internet is up.

Are you logging in on the Shield directly by IP to your Emby Server?

If using Emby Connect or a DNS name I can see that causing an issue as they would both require Internet access.

4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Are you logging in on the Shield directly by IP to your Emby Server?

If using Emby Connect or a DNS name I can see that causing an issue as they would both require Internet access.

Good question. The server does have internal static ip on my home network but I don't recall entering that during the Emby setup.  So I'm guessing Emby Connect.  

If using Emby Connect that would explain why it didn't work since Emby Connect requires the Internet.
What I would do is "forget"/delete your current entry on Shield and add a new server.  Put in your local IP and port, then login.

Now everything should be a local login.
You could test this by pulling your WAN cable from the router if you really wanted to do a "test run".

This doesn't apply to just shield but any local devices you may use.

Wilky13

@Luke

i have the HTPC home over the weekend before I take it back to the ship on Monday. Any resolution on getting Emby Theater to function without an internet access?

20 hours ago, Wilky13 said:

@Luke

i have the HTPC home over the weekend before I take it back to the ship on Monday. Any resolution on getting Emby Theater to function without an internet access?

We are still working on revamping the app. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2020 at 12:30 PM, cayars said:

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking what Premiere features are you using in this offline manner besides app unlocks?

I've done a couple of plane installs as well as a few yachts & RVs myself and still help to manage them and don't have a problem with Premiere.  What I did was use a mobile service for networking and just restricted IPs that could be used to not allow excess usage.  This way the apps and server could phone home as needed to keep proper activation and the cost was in the $10s of dollars instead of hundreds or thousands per month. :) Any time you can connect to free WIFI the cell data is not used.

From my experience planes were easy as you can get mobile service pretty easy.  Cruise ships typically have internet so again not an issue.  Only private yachts out to see and "off grid" for extended periods are a problem.

SR  im  agree  with  @fogpuppy sentences  and  also  i  would  like  to  have  a server  offline  all  the  time  ( also  im  agree  if  this  kind  of  licence  is  a little  expensive  from  normal ne )

what  is  my  case   -   im  working  on  a vessel  ( Offshore  industry) and  we dont  have  internet connection  at  all  - vessel  is  offshore  all  the  time  there  don~t  have  easy  access  to internet  connection  ( no  cellphone  plans  or  something  like  that )  then  the  only  way  to get  internet acces  is  to install  super  expensive  sistem  (antennas  and  others  )  and  pay  for  a satellite internet plan ( a normal person  cant get that )  my company  will be no paying  for  that  ( im employee  )  i just  want  to  make  life  more  easy  and  fun  onboard  to me and  other  crew  members  ( normally  we are  15  or  20  person  onboard)  -  

ok  that  my  case  if  emby  has  plan  on  the  future  to add it  please  let  me  know   

Thanks

This doesn't help you from an Emby perspective but depending on the nature and location of your offshore industry, you may be able to use something Hughesnet which has plans starting at $59.95 a month. The entry level plan has no limit but slows you down to 1 to 3Mb after you use your allotted amount.  Even at this speed the internet would still be great for email, text, chatting and of course all Emby validation checks.

Maybe you could get the company to pick this up or get the guys to chip in $3 to $4 a month toward internet and being able to stay connected to family.

https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started

Wilky13

Unfortunately I am on a US Navy ship.  So “installing” anything with internet access is not allowed and we cannot connect to the systems onboard. It has to remain standalone with no internet.

So it would be nice if Emby Theater worked on Windows even without an internet access.

That's strange, the navy has made internet available for years now and even has ISNS for personal use.

You can connect to NIPRNet (Non-classified Internet Protocol Router Network) which will give you internet access. This is part of ISNS (integrated shipboard network system) which is unclassified.  You can't however connect your person devices to SIPRNet (Secret Internet Protocol Router Network).

Many navy ships already have WIFI for sailors and marines to use as well as ethernet. With CANES (Consolidated Afloat Network and Enterprise Services) you could even serve up services or hit file/media servers on other ships.

But forgetting about streaming through the ship network, all Emby needs to do is send/receive a simple couple of packets to authenticate itself.

6 hours ago, cayars said:

This doesn't help you from an Emby perspective but depending on the nature and location of your offshore industry, you may be able to use something Hughesnet which has plans starting at $59.95 a month. The entry level plan has no limit but slows you down to 1 to 3Mb after you use your allotted amount.  Even at this speed the internet would still be great for email, text, chatting and of course all Emby validation checks.

Maybe you could get the company to pick this up or get the guys to chip in $3 to $4 a month toward internet and being able to stay connected to family.

https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started

Cayars.  Just to understand a little what im talking about . --. This is not a tourist boat .  ..  and that option that you gave me . Is not possible everywhere .  And also in case that work . As for example company has . Minimal internet connection onboard is less than 1mb ( due is yo expensive ) .. ... On the sea is not the same as . On land ... Or vessels near coast ( yatch ..or boats like that).  ...  

Company use inmarsat and . Speedcast ( captainrock). ... To provide minimum. Internet onboard . And is just to work .... Computers network .. ( is all privated) .. you can access . Or open any kind of apps .out from company ...  . Not possible to perform hotspots onboard . As a privated network . You can get access . Even connecting by rj45 cable due you need to configure manually net. To get internet access ...   

Hugeshet.  Normally is to farm . Or places like that. ( Far from city ... ). 

To use the system onboard. You need. An obnidirectional antenna . To compensate pitch and roll ( vessel movements ) and also . Keep the antenna . Pointing to satellite  (1-  we can install noting like that ... Vessel is not  mine. Is from company -- -- 2- in case that possible is not and cheap antenna . And easy to get it ...... And 3. Even installing antenna.  The internet plans . Are too expensive. -- if you have a time . Just take a little time to. Look plans by iridium . Or speedcast companies as i told you .

Inmarsat and Speedcast are just British and Australian private companies you can get services from just like Hughesnet.  I'm referring to getting Internet directly and FREE from the Navy.

Just about every ship has Internet access and speed just doesn't matter.  Emby could use an old 9600 baud modem for it's authentication as it's just a couple of packets, not streaming media.  Usually no special equipment but a Ethernet cable or typical old WIFI card. This works in port and at see on ship and often times on boats as well (SUBLAN).

Let me know the ship your on (PM if you like) and I can likely tell you what services are available on that ship.

5 hours ago, cayars said:

Inmarsat and Speedcast are just British and Australian private companies you can get services from just like Hughesnet.  I'm referring to getting Internet directly and FREE from the Navy.

Just about every ship has Internet access and speed just doesn't matter.  Emby could use an old 9600 baud modem for it's authentication as it's just a couple of packets, not streaming media.  Usually no special equipment but a Ethernet cable or typical old WIFI card. This works in port and at see on ship and often times on boats as well (SUBLAN).

Let me know the ship your on (PM if you like) and I can likely tell you what services are available on that ship.

cayar.  I'm working  on  brazil ( offshore)  then  i  haven't  access  to free  internet  as you're talking it  could  be  fine  if have  but don't  have  it  --- and  about  hugeshnet if  it will  be  easy  as you  talk  for sure i  take  a service  and  we  could divide with  the  crew  even  1mb  could be  perfect  for  family  communication  lol  (  but  how  i told you is  not  easy )  to  get  internet  onboard  a vessel  you  need  omnidirectional antennas (  company  have  it  and  is  to  expensive  use  it  for  the  work network )  and  talking  with  hugeshnet   here  they  don't  provide  this  kind  of  services  (  for vessels  )   ---   a cruise  ship  or  another  vessel  is  different  due  all  the  time  are  near from  cost  ( 10  miles  or  less  )  on my  case  as  per  you  ask  me   --  im  onboard  a  MPSV ( multi purpose  supply vessel )  and  the  vessel  is  offshore  all  the  time  we  embark  by  helicopter  )  --.. if  the  vessel  go  shore   right  for  sure  i  could  use  a land  modem  or  better and  easier  my   phone  data  plan  i  could  put  it as a hotspot  but  vessel  don't  go  shore -- normally  vessel  just  go  to shore  if  finish  the  job  is  performing  ( that normally take  months  performing  it )  and  then  return to offshore  to do  another  job --- and  for  this  is  i  told  you we  cant  use  emby  in  the  matter  is  right  now  due  i  could  take  my  mini  pc  and  update  emby  before  embark  right  but  them  it will  be  just  working  1st  week  -- now  if  you  found  a good service that  i  could  take as hugeshnet  price  you show  me and  with  easy  installation  as just  plug modem  or  something  like  that  perfect  ill be  taking  ^remember  that  we  cant  install  big  antennas  or  things  like that  company  will  be  afraid  of  that  and  is expensive  too  )  -- an  for  th  last  company  will  be  no paying for  that  due  is  not   on company  plan  for  the  company  the  importance is the  job not  recreation  

I never asked but made an assumption which probably wasn't a good idea.  US Navy ship?

If so PM me the name of the ship.

Wilky13
On 3/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, cayars said:

That's strange, the navy has made internet available for years now and even has ISNS for personal use.

You can connect to NIPRNet (Non-classified Internet Protocol Router Network) which will give you internet access. This is part of ISNS (integrated shipboard network system) which is unclassified.  You can't however connect your person devices to SIPRNet (Secret Internet Protocol Router Network).

Many navy ships already have WIFI for sailors and marines to use as well as ethernet. With CANES (Consolidated Afloat Network and Enterprise Services) you could even serve up services or hit file/media servers on other ships.

But forgetting about streaming through the ship network, all Emby needs to do is send/receive a simple couple of packets to authenticate itself.

Connecting any type of personal device to the ship’s unclassified network is absolutely NOT allowed, to include HTPCs.  A few ships now have WiFi as you mentioned, that allow Sailors to connect personal devices, but the one we’re on does not.

Edited by Wilky13