Users experience a lot of lag

gabriouchka97

gabriouchka97

Hi, i have users of my emby complaining about heavy lag sometimes when watching a movie. I don't know why, emby tells me that everything is fine, my gpu is used at 50% max and my cpu never go over 10%, i have a good internet speed up and down, my users too. The movie is being transcoded at 120fps

ryzen 3900x

64gb ddr4

gtx 1080

Should i maybe convert my movies in h264? But how do i convert 500+ movies in h264 

Hi,

What format are most of your current movies in that require transcoding?

h.265 is great when the video can be direct played but may require transcoding to h.264 in other situations.  I've been moving my whole collection over to h.265 files that I also add (if not present) a 2 channel default audio track.  That makes it direct playable on every device I have except for one Roku 3 my daughter's bedroom in her apartment.  Besides that Roku the only thing keeping my files from direct play would be a bitrate setting.

You can adjust the number of threads in the webadmin Transcoding menu.  Turn on advanced and look for "Transcoding thread count:"  Keep in mind that some codecs are limited to number of threads it can use so setting a specific number may not always seem like it does something.  AUTO is usually fine.

Carlo

gabriouchka97
1 hour ago, cayars said:

h.265 is great when the video can be direct played but may require transcoding to h.264 in other situations.  I've been moving my whole collection over to h.265 files that I also add (if not present) a 2 channel default audio track.  That makes it direct playable on every device I have except for one Roku 3 my daughter's bedroom in her apartment.  Besides that Roku the only thing keeping my files from direct play would be a bitrate setting.

You can adjust the number of threads in the webadmin Transcoding menu.  Turn on advanced and look for "Transcoding thread count:"  Keep in mind that some codecs are limited to number of threads it can use so setting a specific number may not always seem like it does something.  AUTO is usually fine.

Carlo

I have it on maximum. This buffering lagging is not normal, we're not talking normal stuff, we're talking about frame skipping or even movie running almost in slow motion. 

What clients are you trying to play back on?  In your LAN or remote playback?

gabriouchka97
1 minute ago, cayars said:

What clients are you trying to play back on?  In your LAN or remote playback?

Remote, most of my friends play it on Google. 

But I tried to use 4g from my phone, I'm literally next to my pc. I have an excellent mobile plan, 100mbs down 50up. Should be more than enough. And the movie just run in slow motion, and we're talking about heavy lagging, frame skipping or just the movie stopping every 2 minutes. I've tried on Google, directly from the app, nothing is working 

What exactly do you mean play it on Google?  Do you mean in Google Chrome web browser?

If you're using a phone it's not a LAN connection, at best a WIFI connection and worst a cell network which often times have lag/latency issues.

What we need to do is narrow down where the problem is.  How do these movies play back in your own home LAN were the server resides (if not tell us) using Emby Theaterer, via Web browser like Chrome)?

gabriouchka97
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

What exactly do you mean play it on Google?  Do you mean in Google Chrome web browser?

If you're using a phone it's not a LAN connection, at best a WIFI connection and worst a cell network which often times have lag/latency issues.

What we need to do is narrow down where the problem is.  How do these movies play back in your own home LAN were the server resides (if not tell us) using Emby Theaterer, via Web browser like Chrome)?

Yes web browser, and i know it was how i tested it myself. But like i said i have an excellent cell network more than enough to stream. I've tried running on my own home from the same pc on the emby microsoft app and movie act the same way. My brother who is on the same network told me that movie lags, stop working, and even need to reload the page when he tried to skip a certain part of a movie because it will just load without ever working. 

When it's lagging is it direct playing, direct streaming or transcoding?

gabriouchka97
Just now, cayars said:

When it's lagging is it direct playing, direct streaming or transcoding?

Direct streaming or transcoding. Sometimes it's saying that "bitrate exceeds birectstream limit. But my like i said it's transcoding at almost 150fps constantly, sometimes have all movie transcoded while i only watched a third of the movie. 

gabriouchka97

And i have to say that with plex i have no problem,  but i hate plex and would love to make emby work. I have payd 120bucks for it. And i fell fucked right now

This  media wouldn't happen to be HDR, 4K or 10 bit media would it?

Can you provide the metadata for one of these movies causing problems?  You can find this info at the bottom of the detail screen for the movie.

gabriouchka97
1 minute ago, cayars said:

This  media wouldn't happen to be HDR, 4K or 10 bit media would it?

Can you provide the metadata for one of these movies causing problems?  You can find this info at the bottom of the detail screen for the movie.

I would love to but how can i do that? And yes most of my movies are 10bit, 4k or hdr. 

That is almost certainly likely going to be your problem as the devices you're trying to play back to are likely 8 bit, 1080, SDR devices.

4K movies really need to be direct played.  What most of us do is have to two Movie libraries.  One strictly for 4K and used only when they can be direct played and another that is 1080 or lower which is used for direct play or transcoding.  This way it's already the correct 8 bit, is SDR so there is not a color space issue and is lower resolution which hopefully won't need to be transcoded.

This is just the nature of the beast when dealing with 4K media.

gabriouchka97
Just now, cayars said:

That is almost certainly likely going to be your problem as the devices you're trying to play back to are likely 8 bit, 1080, SDR devices.

4K movies really need to be direct played.  What most of us do is have to two Movie libraries.  One strictly for 4K and used only when they can be direct played and another that is 1080 or lower which is used for direct play or transcoding.  This way it's already the correct 8 bit, is SDR so there is not a color space issue and is lower resolution which hopefully won't need to be transcoded.

This is just the nature of the beast when dealing with 4K media.

Ok, but how could sufficiently convert all my files in 1080p 8bits sdr. I have more than 500 movies. It will take me month to do all of that

Every time a person plays one of those 4K movies it is "doing it". You can do it ahead of time for them all and then it direct plays after for everyone. Or Emby is doing it each time anyways every time a person asks to play one of those 4K movies on a device that cannot support it. If you find yourself transcoding "all the time" consider the alternative and transcode once to 1080p for these people you want to support. Otherwise they will drown your server forever. Only you can prevent forest fires(sorry, I live in California and its something we say).. I mean transcoding from happening.

Edited by speechles

Yes, it can be quite the process.  Typically you will want to do two different rips plus processing.  One is for the 4K media and one is directly from 1080p media.

This much faster than trying to reprocess 10bit, HDR, 4K video to 8bit, SDR, 1080 media with tone mapping.  The big studio houses spend lot of $ or producing the content properly for BluRay 1080p so it's much better to start with that.

gabriouchka97

Does converting my movies with emby can be a solution? I don't any options to set the maximum resolution or to change anything else

For best results you need to re-rip them from a 1080p source that has the correct 8 bit color space in SDR.

vdatanet
10 minutes ago, gabriouchka97 said:

Does converting my movies with emby can be a solution? I don't any options to set the maximum resolution or to change anything else

If you convert HDR content, colors will be washed. 

sooty234
14 minutes ago, gabriouchka97 said:

Well before i start, should i convert them in mkv or mp4, in h265 or h264?

Don't use your HDR media for conversion. And if you have more than one audio track or subs, use mkv with h264

Edited by sooty234