Emby Theater on the Shield

SplitHorizon

SplitHorizon

Im sure this has been asked but I cant find an answer.  Any chance we can get Emby Theater for Nvidia Shield.  I love that interface and really would like to have it on the Shield. 

Hi. Exactly what do you love about it?

Are you looking for the old, Microsoft-style, home screen layout?

9 minutes ago, SplitHorizon said:

I just love this interface much more then the mobile UI.  image.thumb.png.816fd65ec2aa7dbf815be36807eb4a02.png

You can have that by installing the mobile app.

SplitHorizon

So its not included with the Emby for Android TV and I have to side load the mobile app to get that?  Doesn't that sound a little ridiculous? 

43 minutes ago, SplitHorizon said:

So its not included with the Emby for Android TV and I have to side load the mobile app to get that?  Doesn't that sound a little ridiculous? 

It's also in the store.

SplitHorizon

not for the Nvidia Shield.  The only Emby app is Emby for Android TV.  I downloaded the apk and side loaded the mobile version but it doesnt scale right on the old and new Shield TV.  Icons are way to small and a lot of blank space.  Ill go back to Plex until you all get that UI into the Android TV app. 

8 minutes ago, SplitHorizon said:

not for the Nvidia Shield.  The only Emby app is Emby for Android TV.  I downloaded the apk and side loaded the mobile version but it doesnt scale right on the old and new Shield TV.  Icons are way to small and a lot of blank space.  Ill go back to Plex until you all get that UI into the Android TV app. 

Check the apps display settings. You may need to set it into tv display mode.

Happy2Play
43 minutes ago, rickjw said:

Hoe do we get the old microsoft style image.thumb.png.715cd3cd27ec763a6fa9be35039c581a.pngold micros

I get that display with Display mode: Auto, where mode TV, Desktop, and Mobile/Tablet give me the unified web client view.

CBers
On 24/08/2020 at 22:50, Luke said:

It's also in the store.

Not sure it is when accessing the Play Store directly on the Shield, but will check. 

SplitHorizon

Yeah I go to store on the Shield and all I have is Emby for Andriod TV.   Like I said I side loaded the Mobile App and I get the the interface I want but like I said before its smaller then in the screen shot I posted.  There is a bunch of open space on the top and bottom.  Its like the icons aren't scaling for a TV so that's why I asked if it could be added to Emby for Android TV. 

For me personally The UI options I have i have my personal preference where I run Emby and Plex side by side.

Emby Normal Left to right icons < Plex UI < Emby Theater.   If I have to use the Mobile Ill just Stick with Plex but I would much prefer Emby Theater.  If there is no plans in adding it to the Shield then Ill just have to live with Plex.  Even though they keep adding so much bloatware to it. 

Edited by SplitHorizon

arrbee99
1 hour ago, SplitHorizon said:

Yeah I go to store on the Shield and all I have is Emby for Andriod TV.   Like I said I side loaded the Mobile App and I get the the interface I want but like I said before its smaller then in the screen shot I posted.  There is a bunch of open space on the top and bottom.  Its like the icons aren't scaling for a TV so that's why I asked if it could be added to Emby for Android TV. 

For me personally The UI options I have i have my personal preference where I run Emby and Plex side by side.

Emby Normal Left to right icons < Plex UI < Emby Theater.   If I have to use the Mobile Ill just Stick with Plex but I would much prefer Emby Theater.  If there is no plans in adding it to the Shield then Ill just have to live with Plex.  Even though they keep adding so much bloatware to it. 

The Mobile app is of course a beta, and hopefully it will get better, so don't give up. Think the display looked decent, if not perfect, on my Shield. Keep reporting bugs.

Also I think the normal Android app is enhanced if you go to the Options > General Display > and experiment with Use Card Syle and/or Enhanced Home Screen. And try different themes.

4 hours ago, SplitHorizon said:

Did you enable the horizontal home screen? That's what you need to do to match the screenshot you posted.

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you enable the horizontal home screen? That's what you need to do to match the screenshot you posted.

I knew there had to be another setting somewhere. You also have to restart the app when you change this setting.

SplitHorizon

Yes I enabled that and got the screen I wanted but as I stated before but the icons are to small and there is a lot of wasted space.  Ive given up on it and just went back to Plex.  Thanks for your help

Hmm, there is almost no left over space.  Not sure where the wasted space is?

• 3 weeks later...
SplitHorizon

wasted space as in the top of my screen and bottom of my screen on both Shields have nothing in them.  In the middle of the screen is the items to click.  I uninstalled the mobile app because it wouldn't stream 4k correctly and while I was watching something in another app, Emby Mobile would all of a sudden close that app and pull me back into Emby.  Like I said this whole situation is unacceptable for me. 

Ive tried so hard to love Emby but there are things I really don't like and think they are a little ridiculous to have to deal with so Ill stick with Plex for my main. A Few examples are as follows:

1. Not having all UI's on all the different Apps.  Still dont like that Theater is missing on Emby for Android TV.

2. One Folder wont show up for 2 libraries.  That absolutely kills a chunk of my library that is shared between my Movies and Kids Vids.  My son cant see any of the Marvel Movies or Harry Potter Movies.  ( There is a workaround if I want to use a movie in KidVids to Anchor the collection there but there are no relevant movies to use to anchor it)

3. Random movies wont add to collections.

I want so bad to dump Plex due to all the bloatware they keep adding and horrible customer service but until these (to me) HUGE issues are gone I dont see that happening.  Keep up the good work

• 1 year later...
rpawlic1

Hi Luke,

Is it possible to have the Emby Theatre (WinHTPC) UI on an nVidia Shield Pro without side loading the mobile app yet? I’m not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but this is the closest thread I could find to what I’m looking for.

Thanks again for all the efforts from you and your team :)

-RP

Edited by rpawlic1

GrimReaper
6 hours ago, rpawlic1 said:

Hi Luke,

Is it possible to have the Emby Theatre (WinHTPC) UI on an nVidia Shield Pro without side loading the mobile app yet? I’m not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but this is the closest thread I could find to what I’m looking for.

Thanks again for all the efforts from you and your team :)

-RP

Nope. Sideloading mobile app only. 

• Like 1

FrostByte

Somewhere Luke mentioned he will be adding ET for Android app to the Google Play Store soon, but I can't find where that is now.  

I hope when it gets added they use a different thumb though rather than using the same one ATV uses. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

FrostByte

Sideloading isn't really that hard if you want help.  Just need a thumb drive and a file type manager app on your Shield

• Like 1