search button does not work

horstepipe
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

horstepipe

hello

can anybody confirm the search button in the upper right corner does not work? Nothing happens when pressing it here.

Emby Server v4.5.0.20 (problem was introduced / noticed some versions ago)

Emby for Android TV v1.8.24g

Best regards

PenkethBoy

works for me with ATV .24g and .20 server

get either speak or keyboard - to put in search criteria

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

hello

can anybody confirm the search button in the upper right corner does not work? Nothing happens when pressing it here.

Emby Server v4.5.0.20 (problem was introduced / noticed some versions ago)

Emby for Android TV v1.8.24g

Best regards

What device?  Have you disabled all microphone functionality?

horstepipe
1 hour ago, ebr said:

What device?  Have you disabled all microphone functionality?

Yeah that’s possible, will check out soon. Thanks

Okay, let me know if that's it.  I have it on my list to make the app fall back to only keyboard input in that case but haven't gotten there yet.  We query the device for microphone support but, apparently, that returns "true" if there is a microphone - even if you've disabled it.

• 2 months later...
horstepipe

Sorry forgot to report will verify tomorrow but I‘m pretty sure it worked on another box where I didn’t disable microfone

9 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

Sorry forgot to report will verify tomorrow but I‘m pretty sure it worked on another box where I didn’t disable microfone

I understand it isn't working. I'm just asking exactly how you "disabled the microphone" so I can be sure I'm testing the proper scenario.

Thanks.

19 hours ago, ebr said:

Exactly how did you disable the microphone?

@Riggs

I have the microphone globally disabled in Shield privacy section. Why? In my case I am not interested in voice control of anything. Of course, in an ideal world, where there are no monopolies taking advantage of that for their own benefit it would be great to have the microphone enabled. I must confess that when the boom in voice search and control of other things in the house exploded, I was excited and even tried it until I realized what was going on behind all that wonderful technology.

Summarizing:
My Shield, from the moment I start it, I have not allowed it to use the location services or the microphone. If during the installation of new applications any APP asks me if allow it, I simply deny it. Even so, after having everything installed, I check the permissions of each application and deactivate some applications that are included such as the Plex server, Amazon Music and others that are useless and that I will not use and that do not affect the operating system if they are not .
That said, it is clear that I do NOT have "Hello Google" enabled.

What is the only application that refuses to search by typing?:  Emby TV.
If I want to do a search, "hello Google" appears and the APP asks me for permission to enable the microphone. I deny it, and then the APP won't let me write anything.
Solution: Use Emby for Kodi for any search. (Pathetic).

That doesn't happen with ANY app, but this Emby TV app forces me to use the microphone, yes or yes, to give it access to the microphone or it will never do a typed search. Of course I don't give it any.

The new application for Android that you are developing does NOT present this problem for searches and the microphone, it works just like any other APP.

Whatever. It is my decision whether or not to enable the microphone on my device. My decision is not to enable it on my device, I like my privacy.

• Like 1

I won't use services that always listen but I don't have an issue with "on demand" voice search as setup in Emby where I have to hit the voice button first.

2 hours ago, Riggs said:

I have the microphone globally disabled in Shield privacy section

Can you tell me exactly where that is (sequence of menus)?  I just want to be sure I'm testing all scenarios.  I already have it working when you refuse the permission normally.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

I won't use services that always listen but I don't have an issue with "on demand" voice search as setup in Emby where I have to hit the voice button first.

You wrong Google always will ear you.

I test that a lot of times and the recommendations on Youtube, browser and Adds, an so... arrives related to the search just because I did a search of some movie, then the ads i start seeing are related to that search.

You are a big guy, at this point you will know that Google is the Devil on that department, Amazon, Facebook and other monopolies, they share and sell all your personal data...

The "hello google" or alexa  needs be disabled if you want some privacy on Android devices.

Some people don't care, and is fair, but this always happens with the Emby ATV

5 minutes ago, Riggs said:

I test that a lot of times and the recommendations on Youtube, browser and Adds, an so... arrives related to the search just because I did a search of some movie, then the ads i start seeing are related to that search.

That is completely unrelated to your microphone...

2 minutes ago, Riggs said:

That's is the real problem.

Why Emby ask for mic permission when you click on the search?

The normal will be click on search and choose "speak" or "keyboard" 

But the mic is mandatory for some reason on Emby.

No other APP do that

Edited by Riggs

I don't think you understand how this works Riggs in Emby.  Nothing to worry about as it's not always listening until you intentionally press the mic button.

Used this way it's not always on and listening.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, cayars said:

I don't think you understand how this works Riggs in Emby.  Nothing to worry about as it's not always listening until you intentionally press the mic button.

Used this way it's not always on and listening.

Of course, it must be for this reason that the other applications do NOT ask for access to your microphone, in fact you can block it and the search engine continues to work, well for 99.9% of other APP's.
Normally you are always very helpful here, but when you take a useless defense position, which does not apply in this case, I must say to you that I have no intention of discussing this issue with you or anyone else, because it's just not worth it. I am an expert in computer security, that is what I have done to live for 30 years, I know what I am saying and I have seen the gap that Emby opens up due to that error in the APP, but if you want to think otherwise, that is your trouble. End of story. Anyway thank you very much.

2 hours ago, Riggs said:

You wrong Google always will ear you.

Google curates ads based on what you search for.  How you search doesn't matter.  Speaking the search or typing the search will cause this to happen.  It happens anytime you use Google for anything.  But thinking not using voice is not the answer.

Just now, cayars said:

Google curates ads based on what you search for.  How you search doesn't matter.  Speaking the search or typing the search will cause this to happen.  It happens anytime you use Google for anything.  But thinking not using voice is not the answer.

Wrong again, my friend. You need a lot of missing info to can say what you are saying. 

Ask Luke why the search works fine in the new APP and do no work in the same way in the ATV app. Easy as that, there's an issue.

...and FYI, if you open the mic or location or whatever in any app, Google will going to take that for his own benefit. There's a way to block all that telemetry and crap in any Android device, but that's not the point, the point is: ATV needs grant access to mic to can do a search? The plain and right answer is NO. Anything else is crap. 

CBers

I've only ever seen the Emby app ask for permissions to use the mic, but I guess part of Google's T&C's will have something in them about voice data, otherwise you wouldn't be able to login on your Google device. 

FrostByte

I don't think ET has the option to use the mic for search on the Shield.   

However, I'm sure ebr could program it so that search would still work with the mic disabled just like in ET.  Even accidentally pressing the mic is bad I think.  Right now if I disable the mic in ATV the search button does nothing when it should act like ET's search and still work I think.

18 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Wrong again, my friend. You need a lot of missing info to can say what you are saying. is crap. 

Scroll up a bit and you'll see ebr is saying the same thing.  

6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Is there any way to avoid you?
When you take on the role of Mother Teresa in this forum you really suck.
That doesn't help the community at all, no matter what medals you have.
Jesus Christ! Really, when you don't want to fix some crap you have in your programming, you put yourself in mode: "Let's leave the user like an idiot"
It is not the first time, that abounds in this forum.
Grab your horses, and if you don't want anyone here to tell it like it is, then close the forum.
It's amazing how you want to influence by making stupid users who point out that there is something wrong. It is not the first time that I read or see his confrontations with the community. It is not exclusively with me, but of course, then your friends from above will come to protect you from your inconsistencies.

Yes, you already made me mad.
Something that you still don't understand?

• Like 1

FrostByte
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

The app search should still work with the mic disabled :)  ET does