search button does not work

horstepipe
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

• Solution
2 hours ago, Riggs said:

Settings-->Apps-->Apps permissions

Then

Settings -->Apps permissions to every app

Okay, those are app specific permissions and I have that covered now.  You kept saying you had globally disabled the mic on the device and I couldn't find any way to do that so wanted to be sure there wasn't something else I was missing.

31 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Wrong again, my friend. You need a lot of missing info to can say what you are saying. 

Ask Luke why the search works fine in the new APP and do no work in the same way in the ATV app. Easy as that, there's an issue.

I already (long ago) indicated the app was just not written to handle this scenario (not using the mic when it is there) and I also said just today that I had already corrected that in the app (not yet released in beta).  But that has nothing to do with your assertion that the use of your mic is what is causing Google to give you ads and other offerings related to your past searches.  Just like Cayars said above, that is going to happen whether you allow Emby (or any app) access to your mic or not.  That is completely unrelated to both your microphone on the device and this issue in the app.

• Like 2

MSattler
11 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Is there any way to avoid you?
When you take on the role of Mother Teresa in this forum you really suck.
That doesn't help the community at all, no matter what medals you have.
Jesus Christ! Really, when you don't want to fix some crap you have in your programming, you put yourself in mode: "Let's leave the user like an idiot"
It is not the first time, that abounds in this forum.
Grab your horses, and if you don't want anyone here to tell it like it is, then close the forum.
It's amazing how you want to influence by making stupid users who point out that there is something wrong. It is not the first time that I read or see his confrontations with the community. It is not exclusively with me, but of course, then your friends from above will come to protect you from your inconsistencies.

Yes, you already made me mad.
Something that you still don't understand?

That people continue to put up with all this crap is beyond me.  Switched to Plex over 3 years ago now.... and the forum interactions with support is not something I miss.

Now let me get my popcorn....

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, ebr said:

But that has nothing to do with your assertion that the use of your mic is what is causing Google to give you ads and other offerings related to your past searches.  

Google will take what you put on a silver platter.

That will happen whether you allow Emby (or any app) to access your microphone or not.

Sure, but your ATV app explicitly asks for permission to use the mic or it just doesn't work, I never said anything different. That's is what I'm saying here.

That has nothing to do with the device's microphone and this in-app problem.

You asked the route of the settings, and I published the screenshots to you. With the settings you saw, no application gives problems or asks for permission for the microphone, not even your Android application, only in ATV since I have known it asks for access to the microphone, and if I remember correctly that report they have already passed about 2 years.

I can't understand what was not understood from the beginning.

On the other hand, I am the user, and those problems have to do with privacy,  yes, then if I open the mic of course Google will take what it wants and do what it wants with it.

I have not said otherwise, rather I said the same.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, those are app specific permissions and I have that covered now.  You kept saying you had globally disabled the mic on the device and I couldn't find any way to do that so wanted to be sure there wasn't something else I was missing.

Thank you very much, that was all that I indicated for almost two years, I appreciate your attention, good afternoon, so far my participation in this topic.

9 minutes ago, MSattler said:

That people continue to put up with all this crap is beyond me.  Switched to Plex over 3 years ago now.... and the forum interactions with support is not something I miss.

Now let me get my popcorn....

That's because Plex has no support to interact with. LOL

It's just a misunderstanding.  Riggs likely didn't see that ebr already mentioned it was fixed.  I wasn't commenting at all on this issue since it was addressed already.  I simply wanted to clarify about the ads and that there is no difference between typing or speaking a voice search.  Nothing more.

• Haha 1

horstepipe

Not sure what caused that rollercoaster of emotions here lol, but just to make sure this case has also been checked: 

I‘m pretty sure that the cause of my report was a new Android tv box where the setup wizard asked me to enable the microphone / google assistant / what else... and I said no.

I‘m currently not able to verify because I don’t have the chance to setup an Android tv box from scratch at the moment. 

FrostByte
5 hours ago, horstepipe said:

Not sure what caused that rollercoaster of emotions here lol, but just to make sure this case has also been checked: 

I‘m pretty sure that the cause of my report was a new Android tv box where the setup wizard asked me to enable the microphone / google assistant / what else... and I said no.

I‘m currently not able to verify because I don’t have the chance to setup an Android tv box from scratch at the moment. 

Correct, that is fixed in the latest beta.  You can now disable the mic and search will still work.

You don't need to setup from scratch.  To fix search on the current stable versions on the Shield I use following, assume it's somewhat similar for your Android tv box

• settings
  • apps
  • app permissions
  • microphone
  • enable microphone for Emby

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, horstepipe said:

That would be the permission specifically for the Google app and shouldn't impact Emby at all.  The first time you attempt to search in emby on a microphone-enabled device, the system will ask you for permission to use the mic.  You can either accept or deny it at that time.

horstepipe
38 minutes ago, ebr said:

That would be the permission specifically for the Google app and shouldn't impact Emby at all.  The first time you attempt to search in emby on a microphone-enabled device, the system will ask you for permission to use the mic.  You can either accept or deny it at that time.

okay then I was declining that for sure, too.

10 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

okay then I was declining that for sure, too.

Why?  

Why have the microphone on the device active but not let Emby use it?

CBers

Surely if you don't accept the mic permission, then you can't use voice search in the app, just text search, or am I missing something?

• Like 1

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Why?  

Why have the microphone on the device active but not let Emby use it?

you understand the word "too" is inclusive?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

horstepipe
1 hour ago, CBers said:

Surely if you don't accept the mic permission, then you can't use voice search in the app, just text search, or am I missing something?

No the point was that text search didn’t work either in that case. 

1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

you understand the word "too" is inclusive?

or substituted with "also" .  But why turn off the mic only in Emby is my question.

Edited by cayars

horstepipe
53 minutes ago, cayars said:

or substituted with "also" .  But why turn off the mic only in Emby is my question.

What I was trying to say was: wherever I was being asked for microphone access, I said „no“

but from what I understood when can stop quibbling as the problem has been identified and solved. 

• Like 1

I get that but still doesn't answer my question.  Why do you want mic access turn on for the device itself but not in Emby?

If it's turned off on the device, then Emby won't prompt for permission.

So why use it in other apps but not Emby?

25 minutes ago, cayars said:

I get that but still doesn't answer my question.  Why do you want mic access turn on for the device itself but not in Emby?

I have found no way to turn it off at the device level.  Only at the app level as indicated above.  I think these folks are refusing it to all apps.  Since it only engages when requested, I don't think this is necessary, but that is their decision.

When I want to test functions without voice I just go into the system on Android and turn off Google Assistant. Works on both Android Mobile and Android TV.

horstepipe
2 hours ago, cayars said:

I get that but still doesn't answer my question.  Why do you want mic access turn on for the device itself but

horstepipe

Oops sorry for last post.

again: I never wanted microphone access at all. Not sure where the cause of that misunderstanding came for here. 
so once for all (I hope 🙂 )

- I disabled mic access whenever I was asked

- I was not able to do ANY kind of search (even Text search)

but again, I‘m sure ebr got it 🙂

• Like 1

Spaceboy
On 30/10/2020 at 21:29, cayars said:

your inability to understand basic english 😂

2 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

your inability to understand basic english 😂

You need to go back and read what was said, talking about "English".

"okay then I was declining that for sure, too." in response to system mic setting and ALSO turning off in Emby.  Not "inclusive" but "also" as in doing BOTH.  That is the reason I asked WHY.  Why would you want it on in the device in general but then NOT use it in Emby.

Do you understand now?

Spaceboy
1 minute ago, cayars said:

You need to go back and read what was said, talking about "English".

"okay then I was declining that for sure, too." in response to system mic setting and ALSO turning off in Emby.  Not "inclusive" but "also" as in doing BOTH.  That is the reason I asked WHY.  Why would you want it on in the device in general but then NOT use it in Emby.

Do you understand now?

funny, everyone but you got it