Feature request and bug - Display of 3D movies in MBS

steve1977

steve1977

I just added a few 3D movies to my movie library, of which I also have the 2D version. I believe there is a bug and also like to post a feature request:

1) I have watched the 2D version, but not the 3D version of the movie. Both show status as "watched". I assume this is a bug?

2) Right now, I cannot differentiate in the "movie view" in MBS between a 3D and a 2D movie. I only see the poster and I need to guess which of the two movies is 2D and which one is 3D. I believe this is intended behavior. Is there any chance that 3D movies could have their own "tab" (same like collection), so that I have movies (with all 2D movies) and then a separate tab 3D movies (with all 3D movies). Am I being clear with what I am suggesting?

Thanks again!!!

steve1977

You can use the filters to show only 3d movies

Thanks for your reply. I am aware that I can filter. What I was hoping for is a similar treatement to collections (i.e., with an own tab as part of movies). Otherwise, I always have two movies next to each other with the same name and poster, which I cannot differentiate. One of them being 2D and one of them being 3D.

steve1977

What I have done is manually added "3D" to the display name

That's not a bad idea and I may follow. Would find a separate tab even better though. Ultimately, you think first "2D or 3D" and then after this selection would pick the movie to watch. Maybe this will be implemented in the future?!

1) I have watched the 2D version, but not the 3D version of the movie. Both show status as "watched". I assume this is a bug?

No, that is by design.  We track watched status by the actual movie, not the version of it.  This allows you to change its location and not lose all your user-related information on it.

• Like 1

steve1977

No, that is by design.  We track watched status by the actual movie, not the version of it.  This allows you to change its location and not lose all your user-related information on it.

Thanks, that's indeed great that I don't lose this once moving the location. As I mentioned in another thread, I would love the watch-tage included in the NFO file. If that eventually happens, it would also be possible to track by "version", while still being able to change location?

Any thoughts on my second point? Anyone who would love to see such type of feature being implemented?

Thanks again!

you can filter by 3D in the movies tab. there really isn't enough room for a dedicated 3D tab. Six tabs is enough as it is. Don't want to intimidate people. Perhaps when we support xbmc's smart playlists later, you can create some kind of custom view around that.

• Like 1

steve1977

you can filter by 3D in the movies tab. there really isn't enough room for a dedicated 3D tab. Six tabs is enough as it is. Don't want to intimidate people. Perhaps when we support xbmc's smart playlists later, you can create some kind of custom view around that.

Took a look and you are right - 6 tabs is indeed enough and more may confuse.

I just thought that there may be an even easier way for me to achieve this. Brings me to a question again about "intended behavior" or "bug". I have all my 3D movies on a separate drive and created a second library (i.e., media folder) called 3D movies. I hoped that this will then show up as a separate item in the pull-down menu on the top-right of MBS. Unfortunately, it does not and it merges the two added libraries both under movies.

Is this intended like this? I don't think it should be. Either you give me the choice to add two libraries (which then somehow can be used differently) or you only allow me to add one movie library, to which I can add more folders.

And separate point - is collection still relevant as media folder category with the new set-up?

Thanks again, really great development!!!

Vidman

click the user icon in the top right -> my preferences

^^

Here you can choose which media folders are shown separately and which are grouped

steve1977

click the user icon in the top right -> my preferences

Brilliant!!! Now I have my 3D movie view!!!

Let me play back what I am observing with my new "3D movie view":

* "Latest" is empty although I have added 2 movies to my "3D library"

* Suggested is full of 2D movies, so the differentiation between the two libraries does not happen here

* "Movies" and "Collections" work well and only show the 3D movies

* "Genres", "actors" and "directors" does not work and refer to all 2D and 3D movies. It does only list the ones that are part of the 3D movies, but then displays all 2D and 3D once clicking on it

Thanks again!

A8HTPC

What if you allow for as many tabs as someone wants but they can pick which tabs to show. I know there is a few tabs i wont ever use. Just a thought :)

Edited by A8HTPC

in latest views we generally only show unwatched.

suggested pulls from everywhere at the moment because you need more data to get good suggestions.

last one is by design. you want to know what other movies you have with a certain actor. Who really cares if it's 3d or not. The actor information is more important on that page.

What if you allow for as many tabs as someone wants but they can pick which tabs to show. I know there is a few tabs i wont ever use. Just a thought :)

we have enough options. maybe not enough to make every last person happy, but enough to make a lot of people happy. so i think we've done well there.

• Like 1

A8HTPC

Customization is huge for everyone. Right now its being developed more to suit the developers developing it. "What u guys think it should be". Im not saying do it now..but it should be put on the list as im sure many will benefit from it.

That is not true. Decisions are made based on what will satisfy the largest number of people possible - and surprise, that generally means "just give me something easy without a lot of fuss.". So that's why I try to do.

Then once we have that, we add a little customization to handle the most requested features. Even once you do that, some users are always going to want more. So maybe we add a little more, but obviously, up to a point. And I think that's where we are now. It has enough to make a lot of people happy. If there's something more that you want, make a feature request topic and we'll see what kind of traction it gets.

• Like 1

steve1977

Although it was me who brought up the topic, I actually agree with Luke that we already have enough options. This thread actually is a good example. I am a heavy user and not even I knew that you can customize whether libraries show on its own or not. So, adding more customization does not help and just makes things overly complicated.

Also, it is really not fair to say that the developers add what they like. You may want to look into the postings of the core developers. They write here every single day and are always open to suggestions!!!

Yea someone once suggested to us that we ought to fulfill every feature request. To which I said, if we did that there would be no MB3 because we'd still be working on all the old MB2 tickets  :lol: . We have much bigger and better things in the pipepline that I think you guys are going to like.

steve1977

in latest views we generally only show unwatched.

suggested pulls from everywhere at the moment because you need more data to get good suggestions.

last one is by design. you want to know what other movies you have with a certain actor. Who really cares if it's 3d or not. The actor information is more important on that page.

Agree with "latest" and that sounds right. Also, agree how actors/directors are treated.

Genre you could argue either way. I would have a slight preference to have genre only show 3D movies in my 3D library and 2D in my library. Ultimately, genre is basically a filter, so it should filter the respective library. Wdyt?

Similar thought on "suggested". I think you are right that it needs to build the list based on the total library (to get maximum data on my preferred movies), but at the same time I would prefer if it only display suggestions that are in the respective library.

i think some of those could go either way, yes. But really, I think the best answer is you're really talking about a way to isolate 3D content, so all you really need is a list. You don't need a whole section with 7 tabs and people, studios, genres, all of that.

steve1977

i think some of those could go either way, yes. But really, I think the best answer is you're really talking about a way to isolate 3D content, so all you really need is a list. You don't need a whole section with 7 tabs and people, studios, genres, all of that.

You are right that I don't need any of the tabs and the "list" already fits the purpose rather well.

Was also thinking of other ways the separate libraries though. I could add a new library with "kids movies" (following same way as with 3D: separate media folder). And only my son would access this. Also for this case, it would be nice to make use of the other tabs for this library.

In other words, if you "need" to be able to add two movie libraries (which is a current feature of MBS), you can argue that you would also like to have genres and suggested isolated. If not, you can argue why at all to have two separate libraries for movies.

I am being a bit cryptic, but hope you know what I mean.

Customization is huge for everyone.

That's actually not true either.  Most people never customize.  Which is why so much effort and refinement is put into the defaults.

• Like 1