Music Tags Only?

Meijinhada

Meijinhada

I've seen some other topics about this, but I'm just....confused and tired.

I was using Google Play Music to stream my music if I couldn't use my Fiio, or just got lazy, and for the most part, outside of a few weird quirks, it basically handled my music perfectly fine, tags and all.

Now that GPM is going away and YouTube Music is a dumpster fire, I'm looking at just streaming from my Synology again.  I tried Plex; no matter what, everything comes out a mess.  Then I found Emby, and it seems better at handling tags, but I am still utterly perplexed at what it's doing.  It seems to be the single songs more than anything, but some others find themselves messed up.  Even though I have it set not to audiodb or MusicBrainz, but to just read my own tags (which have been perfectly fine for years, and JRiver, Google, and Fiio have had no issues reading them), I have a bunch of my songs claiming to be under albums of the folders I have them in when I look at the database, but each track has the proper metadata for the correct album.  Others in other big folders are for the most part perfectly fine (like my Chiptunes folder, which has a ton of different folders based on game system, and then album, but even a bunch of them are showing up under "Miscellaneous").  I did finally download Picard, but I then realized if Emby is grabbing the folder name as an album, it won't make a difference.

I grabbed a screenshot of what is my Metal & Rock folder (which has what I roughly group together as those two genres for ease of finding stuff).  I assume there's either junk tags I'm missing or something else, but I just want to understand why my own tags aren't being followed. 

Also, do I need to embed cover art in ALL my files to get them to show?  Most of my chiptunes are showing art from the folder just fine, but then my Big Finish Audio plays are not, as an example.

Capture.PNG

Hi there, currently albums are grouped by album folders, not album tag. This is something we'll be changing in upcoming updates as the last step of the process in becoming fully tag driven. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Meijinhada

I hope it's coming soon.  🥳 I did finally dip my toes into Picard a little more, but a lot of my music has no real "album" or proper artists, so my music collection is still going to be borked unless it only looks at the tags I already have set.

But I have to say, at least it now sees my cover art.  Plex won't even do that.