Set download permission on a per-library, per-folder or per-tag basis

crusher11

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
kaynemo

Count me in!!!I would love if it was made possible to assign to a user a permission to download from a specific library and not from an other. For instance we have a user we will call Dave - I would love for Dave to be able to watch, but not download from the Library we will call "Movies", at the same time I would like Dave to be able to watch and download from the library we will call "Films". At the moment I can only grant Dave download permissions to all Libraries he has access to or revoke that permission. Would be great to add flexibility there. Thanks in advance

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Music100

In full agreement with kaynemo - this is a very important function for a sys admin.

I have a situation currently wherein there are some libraries I need to have users download from, such as music and documents, but then there are libraries I don't want them downloading, such as movies.  Selective library download permission features  would certainly make EMBY more versatile.

Thank you for your attention to making this happen, hopefully soon.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Music100

It's been a while, so I am re-posting that I would request a feature for the administrator to be able to set selective library download permissions.

This is particularly applicable when one is administering EMBY and there are libraries you want users to be able to download from and some libraries you don't them to download from.

If anyone else has any examples of why this would be useful I'd appreciate knowing about their experiences and reasons for this.

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Music100 said:

It's been a while, so I am re-posting that I would request a feature for the administrator to be able to set selective library download permissions.

This is particularly applicable when one is administering EMBY and there are libraries you want users to be able to download from and some libraries you don't them to download from.

If anyone else has any examples of why this would be useful I'd appreciate knowing about their experiences and reasons for this.

Thanks.

By library I think would make sense, like we do order permissions.

darkassassin07

Personally, I don't see much of a benefit to disabling downloads at all. All that does is make it more work to download something, it doesn't prevent it.

You may not have a download button provided to you, but if you can display it on your screen, you can save it via many different means (plugins/scripts that save the stream as a file instead of playing it, screen capture software, capture cards grabbing the display output, manual recording with a camera, etc).

Plus when a user does decide to download something, you at least get notified about it when it's via embys download button. You can't really know if they've used other routes to do it.

If you are sharing media to a screen/system you don't control, you should expect that it can and probably will be saved outside your systems at some point.

That's my view at least. Curious about others thoughts.

Music100

I agree with darkassassin07 that there are certainly ways to get around having no download button and still figure out how to download anyway.

I have a close group of users with access to my EMBY server.

At least with the young users who have access, none of them are technically savvy enough (yet!) to even consider a workaround to downloading.

It would be nice if I could have the option.  I also agree that some administrators won't need something like this.  I happen to need it.