Debian folder structure?

Dunuin

@cayars

I'm running emby for a year inside a FreeNAS jail and want to migrate to a VM guest running Debian on my new Proxmox hypervisor. The problem is, that I can't run emby completely from SSDs because of the high SSD wear (high write amplification because of Copy-on-Write and journaling fs on the host, journaling fs on the VM guest and consumer SDD always needs to write some MB to change some bytes). I'm planning to run 12 VMs on that hypervisor and the first 3 VMs alone are writing 50GB per hour while idling. So I bought a pair of WD Reds for all write heavy folders where the files change often, so that my NVMe SSDs just need to store the static data.

I created a fresh debian VM for emby with 4 partition. 

a.) 120GB ext4 partition on 2 mirrored NVMe SSD mounted as root "/" with atime disabled. 
b.) 120GB ext4 partition on 2 mirrored HDDs mounted as "/var"
c. ) a tmpfs partition on RAM disc mounted as "/tmp" 
d.) a 8GB swap partition on the 2 mirrored HDDs

So my question are... 

1.) What folders are created when installing emby on debian or what folders are used by emby? 

2.) What kind of data does emby store in that folders? What folders are containing primary static files and what variable (often edited) files?

3.) Are the media images stored in a db or in a seperate folder? I would like to symlink embys db (files should change always I would assume) to the HDD and the images to the SSDs. 

4.) On my FreeBSD installation I have seen a temp and a transcoding-temp directory used by emby. Is it ok to symlink them to a ram disk loosing every content on reboot or can't emby handle loosing this temporary data and I should symlink them them the HDD instead? 

Would be great if someone give me some hints so I can create and symlink the folders before installing emby, so emby will install to the right partitions. 

Edit:

On FreeBSD I get these folders:

/var/db/emby-server/cache -> looks like often changing -> should go to HDD or even volatile ramdisk?
/var/db/emby-server/config -> looks static -> should go to SSD
/var/db/emby-server/data -> often changing (DBs) -> to HDD
/var/db/emby-server/logs -> often changing -> to HDD
/var/db/emby-server/metadata -> static (pictures etc) -> to SSD
/var/db/emby-server/plugins -> static -> to SSD
/var/db/emby-server/root -> static -> to SSD
/var/db/emby-server/transcoding-temp -> often changing -> to HDD or even volatile ramdisk?
/usr/local/lib/emby-server/system -> static -> to SSD
/usr/local/lib/emby-server/bin -> static -> to SSD

Are these the same folders on Debian but located in /var/lib/emby-server instead of /var/db/emby-server and /opt/emby-server instead instead of /usr/local/lib/emby-server?

Hi Dunuin,

Let me see if I can cover some of this for you.

1. Take a look at your DASHBOARD and scroll to the bottom.  That will have a few of the paths that are being used.  You can also change many of these paths as well such as

menu - tab if present - option name
Settings - - Cache path:
Library - Advanced tab - Metadata path:
Transcoding - - Transcoding temporary path:
Conversions - Settings tab - Temporary file path:
DVR - - Default recording path:
DVR - - Movie recording path (optional):
DVR - - Series recording path (optional):

2. the above should be pretty obviously which are temp and which are longer term

3. Depends on settings you make in each library you set.  For example you'll see an option "Save artwork into media folders" which will store the right on side your media if enable.  Otherwise these images will get stored in the MetaData folder.  You won't need to symlink this area for Metadata as you can set it's location as mentioned above.

4. Same as above you don't need to symlink these areas either as you can set the place emby will use directly.

Did I get everything covered for you?

Carlo