Zattoo live TV Channel

Nuff1

popy
3 hours ago, ChrisTunes said:

Telerising API works (Windows Server with newest Emby Version). But it takes so long to turn on or switch a channel. Any ideas? Still wish there will be a plugin for zattoo in the future. regards

Same here, it works with 5-10 Seconds channel switching time.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, can we please look at an example? Thanks.

What exactly do you mean with "example"?

I think the best bet is to install telersing api with an free zattoo account and try it for yourself.
Switching times with official zattoo android app & kodi with nativ addon are instant (1-2 seconds) so no network issue.

2 hours ago, popy said:

Same here, it works with 5-10 Seconds channel switching time.

What exactly do you mean with "example"?

I think the best bet is to install telersing api with an free zattoo account and try it for yourself.
Switching times with official zattoo android app & kodi with nativ addon are instant (1-2 seconds) so no network issue.

Example meaning providing discussion which you have done, along with the information requested in the link I provided. Thanks.

popy
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Example meaning providing discussion which you have done, along with the information requested in the link I provided. Thanks.

Sorry, but which link do you mean?

• 1 year later...
47 minutes ago, popy said:

Are there any plans for integrating Zattoo Live TV official into emby?

thx

Hi, If it is an m3u you can import it yourself.

M3U Tuners

Hi Luke.

Yeah i know. Running Telerising API + generated m3u and it's kind of working.
It alwasy loading the channel but it takes ~10 seconds opn channel change.

I think it has todo with telerising API.

Because of that i was asking if there will be an native/plugin support for zattoo?

Zapping on native android app is undr ~1 second.

thx

Zattoo is an streaming service from switzerland which also streams to germany and austria.
It's quite populare these days in my country.

Yeah, that's the old one written in perl.
The new one is this:

https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thread/72127-Telerising-API-Zattoo-blue-TV-Sky-CH-für-tvHeadend-und-VLC-Web-App/

https://github.com/sunsettrack4/telerising-api

But from the same author.

It's an wrapper to get m3u playlist. It's handling the login, authentification, stream selection and so on.
Than it provides an m3u, which you can use and get the streams from your machine running the api.

I think there is no easy/other way of getting a plain m3u directly from zattoo.
There is an native kodi pvr addon which is also as fast as the native apps (android, lg, ...).

I dont want to blame emby for the slow channel switching times.
Back than when i installed the api, also with VLC watching the streams has a few seconds delay.
But i think it was half the time.
Can recheck this.

Because of that a native emby PVR addon/plugin would be nice.

thx

• Like 1

@Luke

When using emby iwth telersing (which provides an m3u) it takes 6-10 seconds to switch an channel!
With kodi 19.4 + IPTV Simple plugin (on the same maschine) it takes ~1 second to switch channel.

Any hints why emby is taking so long?
Is this a normal behaviour (maybe emby is transcoding something)?
Can i disable transocding for live tv?

thx

That sounds about right.  When you playback in any player it's a very simple process of basically displaying the stream.  With Emby it's doing several other steps that allow all the cool features to be used such as sharing one stream with multiple users, sharing the stream with the DVR, being able to have multiple different transcodes going to different resolutions (if multiple users), etc.

So you can sort of think of it as Emby receiving the the stream and saving it local, setting up this new stream for different Emby uses which may need to use it. And of course starting the process for your watching. It's also possible extra time is being used because the stream you're personally pulling from Emby Server is transcoding or requires remuxing.

What does the Emby Server console show you:
image.png

This is off my system right now. You can see it generated an error trying to direct play the stream so it had to repackage it to HLS. This is pretty light on the CPU but does cause a slight delay at startup as it trying to direct play then when it can't direct play kicks into the 2nd mode it tries which is the container swap to HLS.

This is on a ShiledTV which doesn't like receiving a TS package.  I have my options set on that client to allow direct play which does help it to load faster but then "trick play" isn't available. So I can't rewind or pause. But anytime during play I can try to pause which gives me a prompt asking if I'd like to change modes. Once I do that I'll get what you see above. For most TV watching it's the best of both worlds this way.

• Like 1

@cayars

Thanks for the info and it sound's like my emby is doing transcoding on live tv.
Telerising API (Zattoo) m3u's providing HLS7 streams (currently configured, also HLS5 possible).

How can i configure/force "direct play" and "trick play" for my M3U Tuner playlists?

Thanks

Here in the kodinerds forum (where the telerising API thread lives) a user stated that HLS to HLS direct play (remux) is not working, hence the slower zapping times.
Link: https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thread/72127-Telerising-API-Zattoo-blue-TV-Sky-CH-für-tvHeadend-und-VLC-Web-App/?postID=689398#post689398

@cayars

@Luke

Can this be the issue i am facing?

thx

pünktchen

@popy if you setup DVBViewer between Telerising and Emby you can reduce channel switching times by 1 to 3 seconds dependent on the Emby client.

• Like 1

horstepipe

related:

@pünktchen
would you please elaborate what dvbviewer does that it takes less time?
From my point of view there are two factors about the long channel switch:

1. the stream walks through Emby so you can restream etc. (this is good and nothing we should change)
  2. The stream is being remuxed as direct playing the incoming hls fails (see thread above).

So the question is which of the point takes how much seconds and whether something can be done about the remux problem.

pünktchen
5 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

The stream is being remuxed as direct playing the incoming hls fails

This is were DVBViewer comes into play. The hls stream is muxed into a single ts stream by DVBViewer's own source filter that is much faster than ffmpeg. This way you get direct play with Emby Theater on Windows and the standard Android app. With the Android TV app the stream gets transcoded, which must be a bug and i'll still have to create an issue report for this. But even the transcoding of the single ts stream by ffmpeg is faster than with the hls source.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pünktchen said:

@popy if you setup DVBViewer between Telerising and Emby you can reduce channel switching times by 1 to 3 seconds dependent on the Emby client.

hey @pünktchen

thx for the hint but i have ditched DVBViewer + my DVB cards all together in favour of zattoo.
Dont want to run it on the server again just for this performance boost 😃

As stated i am using zattoo live apps, where all is working great.

Sometimes i am watching TV on my amazon echo's & smartphones and was noticing this issue again.
Not a big deal because i dont use it as my main tv setup.

But after all this information, the question is:

Why is DVBViewer/Kodi+IPTVSimple so much faster than emby?
I know there is the overhead of remux and so on, but it should not be as much as it is now (up to 10 seconds).
Maybe this could be improved in the future in emby media server.

Thanks for that really good explanation pünktchen as I too was wondering how it would speed it up. 

Android TV doesn't like the TS container.  You can change the options on the client to direct play the TS files but give us trick play functionality.  But you can pause and it will ask if you want to switch modes.  

I'm sure I did know what the issue was but right now can't remember what it is/was, but is known for sure.  I would think Android TV should be able to playback TS files just fine or could remux or transcode on hardware (especially the Shield TV).  Right now what I see normally without the Direct Play  settings is Emby for Android TV trying to play the file but gets an error, notifies the server and receives an remux using HLS instead which it's happy with at that point.

IMHO, Any client app that also has a server counterpart on the same platform should be able to locally transcode or at least be able to remux the file for it's own playback or handle the opening of the TS while feeding the streams to the player.

13 minutes ago, popy said:

Why is DVBViewer/Kodi+IPTVSimple so much faster than emby?
I know there is the overhead of remux and so on, but it should not be as much as it is now (up to 10 seconds).
Maybe this could be improved in the future in emby media server.

What pünktchen mentioned is that DBViewer has it's own code that can directly open and work with the container/file format directly.  Emby spawns a processing loading ffmpeg that then has to request the stream, process it while writing it out to disk.  Emby then uses this rewritten data.  So you can see ow one would be faster than the other and use less total IO as well.

Luke has been adding things like this directly to Emby to bypass ffmpeg when possible.  @Luke any chance you could take a look at this to see if this could be done the same bypassing ffmpeg use for the remux?

@popy can you playback something for a few minutes and then upload both the server log and any log file starting with ffmpeg that matches the time?  The ffmpeg named files will be right below the server log at the top of the list.

Thanks,
Carlo

@Luke

@cayars

Please find attached the log files.
I have started playback with emby web on chrome Version 103.0.5060.114 on Windows 10 21H2 @ around ~19:20.

the embyserver.txt is truncated because it was huge.

If you need more infomations, please let me know.

thx for looking into this

embyserver_shorten.txt ffmpeg-directstream-aa6b4986-fad0-4c4e-bbe4-76e50884af39_1.txt

These hls segments are fragmented mp4. Our built-in support without ffmpeg is only for mpegts, so that's why ffmpeg gets used here.

• Thanks 1

horstepipe
1 hour ago, Luke said:

These hls segments are fragmented mp4. Our built-in support without ffmpeg is only for mpegts, so that's why ffmpeg gets used here.

So it is at it is or can you improve things here in the future?

• Agree 1