Cannot Connect to Remote Server on Roku

tenaz
Go to solution Solved by tenaz,

I'm trying to remotely connect to a server via my roku.  I have the server on Emby Connect, but when I sign in to emby connect using the pin and then do server > user, after selecting the user, it spins for a while then dumps me back to the server page.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it caches my data, because I also have a local server that I manually removed and when I reinstalled the app, the local server was back.  I know I can clear the cache on my roku, but I really don't want to do that and lose the userdata on all my other apps. 

I also have problems with this server on the samsung tv app - it shows up but won't let me select it.  The android app does the same - it spins and eventually says can't connect to server.  I'm guessing this is all related? 

I am able to connect to the server directly at that server's address via a web browser on any pc or mobile device and I'm also able to connect via emby connect through any web browser as well and everything works fine.  Is there some specific difference for all the apps causing them not to connect?

What port are you using to connect remotely? By default it is 8920 not 8096. Make sure you are using that in the Roku when connecting remotely. Does that help?

FYI: clearing userdata on the Emby Roku app only removes the data for the Emby Roku app. Not every single app on your Roku. It isn't deleting the entire registry. Just the local userspace the Emby app uses within that application registry. So you are safe to clear userdata and not have to (for example) re-enter your Netflix password afterwards. That is not going to occur. The wording there needs to be fixed to avoid scaring people. ^_~

Edited by speechles

• Solution

I sorted it, thanks.  It was a port issue.  So I could there via browser because it was redirecting to the correct port when I didn't specify it, but in the apps, I was specifying the port, so it would reject my connection.

Edit: I actually did find 2 bugs though.  

1. When manually entering a server, if you hit ok and realize you typed it in wrong and then open up the dialog again, you can't move the cursor around and select any characters.  Same with the port dialog.  You have to hit back on the manual server screen then go back to it.  Luckily, it saves what you already had, so it's not such a big deal.

2. You can't leave the port blank.  If you erase the port either using backspace or the delete button and hit ok, it goes back to whatever was in the port before.

Edited by tenaz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@tenaz how did you resolve it?  I am having the same issue and running into the same 2 bugs you mentioned.

I have a local emby server I can connect on all my devices with no problem, including the roku.

I also have a seedbox that I recently setup an emby server on. I can connect via phone and pc without issue. I had some issues getting my smart tv connected, but was able to get it to work. . But I can't get it to work on my roku.    To get the other devices working, I have to use the hostname url they provide (something like  slotname.seedboxdomain.com/emby and leave port blank).  the Internal and External IPs and port# on the server dashboard page do not work on any device.   Also, my seedbox provider says not to use emby connect in the documentation, and when I try it doesn't work.    

The 2 bugs you mention are what is causing me issues I believe. If the roku app would let me remove the port # and just put in the hostname URL, I think it would work.   

Am I missing something?  

@geremye If the domain uses SSL try using 443 as the port for the Roku. Otherwise try 80.

Edited by speechles

• 3 weeks later...