ramseyn

Question deleted re metadata changes lost

ramseyn

I posted a question yesterday and it seems to have been deleted with no explanation - not even closed with a comment.

I shall try again as I am evaluating Emby as an alternative to Plex.

A lot of songs and albums in my Music library have been picked up as "rtist" rather than the artist name, and many more are showing as "Alan Parsons Project" which occurs nowhere in the ID tags for the files.

An example is an Ian Matthews album which shows both these issues. When I look at Albums view in the music library the album is there and also if I use Artist view. But the album itself displays as both of the above.

If I change the metadata to the correct Album Artist and Artist, these changes  are lost as soon as I save. If I go back into the metadata, they have reverted to "rtist" and "Alan PArsons Project"!

Interestingly if I go to Metadata Manager from the menu, Ian Matthews doesn't even appear in the folder list! (My folders are organised by artist.) And if I choose Folders rather than Artist or Album, from the Music Library display page, the folder doesn't exist there either. And yet physically that folder exists and is where the tracks are. And the album shows up in Artist or Album views.

What is going on? This is a showstopper for me and drives me towards Plex if I cannot resolve it which is a shame because in general I prefer Emby. But it is no use to me if albums are missing or are shown under incorrect artist names.

If this post is going to be deleted also, please at least inform me.

@cayars @ginjaninja

Luke

Hi @ramseyn, I don't recall us deleting any of your posts and i don't see it in your activity history. I apologize for the confusion.

cayars

When I've seen something like this it's usually one of two things.

One: Folder and file naming not following our music naming as shown here

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159113-music-naming

Two: Not properly tagging your music media before adding it to Emby.

Can you confirm for us you've tagged your music properly and are using a folder structure like that in the knowledge base?

ginjaninja
On 7/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, ramseyn said:

A lot of songs and albums in my Music library have been picked up as "rtist" rather than the artist name, and many more are showing as "Alan Parsons Project" which occurs nowhere in the ID tags for the files.

often spurious results are due to tagging information in the files (multiple tag versions) which are not easy to spot in some tagging software. I use mp3tag to ensure all versions of all tags are stripped on save and only id3v2.3UTF16 is written. To 100% confirm the spurious data is in the tags you can use (on Windows at least, from command line,  something like) "ffprobe.exe trackname.mp3". (ffprobe is stored in emby system folder)

Edited by ginjaninja

ramseyn

I'll take a look at these suggestions, thank you very much.

I have already checked all tags, which were originally created and edited in MP3Tag, but will recheck the versions being saved. I shouldn't really need to delete versions of tags as long as the information in the tags is consistent across the versions surely?

For the moment, I have found that Plex recognises all the metadata properly, so that is an option if I can't resolve this.

ramseyn

Have checked suggested folder structure and, being logical, it matches exactly what I already use so all my files are compliant with this structure.

ramseyn

Tags are all saying ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3) in MP3Tag.

The interface has changed a lot since a created many of these tags so now looking for an option to delete the ID3v1 if it actually exists. May have to change to another tagger for that...

ramseyn

Well, I removed all ID3V1 tags from the album I mentioned (Ian Matthews). Rescanned library for the album and the listing in Emby is still faulty. Attached is a screenshot. Note the bottom two tracks show "rtist" and the album info at the top shows The Alan Parsons Project/Ian Matthews. The Alan Parsons Project does not appear anywhere in any versions of the tags in any of the files

Emby Ian Matthews listing.JPG, only in the emby metadata (and cannot be deleted from the metadata as it immediately reappears).

Edited by ramseyn
added explanation

ramseyn

Maybe I need to delete the database altogether and build it from scratch. Is this possible? (If so, where is the database stored on a NAS implementation?)

ramseyn

For information, the part of the problem where that folder (\\NIMBUSTOR4\Plex\Library\my music\NR\Ian Matthews) doesn't even show up in MetaData manager still. The songs show in the Emby song list, the album shows in the emby album list, the folder exists (I have just deleted all the ID3v1 tags!) but metadata manager doesn't even see it.

Suggests this may be why I can't save the metadata changes even though I can supposedly edit the metadata from the song view in Emby?

cayars

Have you tried looking at the metadata using ffprobe to see what tags are being reported?