Don't download subtitles for items with a .disc extension

crusher11
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

crusher11

Now that I've got Open Subtitles working, my server is filled with subtitles downloaded for my stubs. It's a stub, so of course it doesn't have subtitles, but the file that replaces it may or may not. It's pointless to download subs that might just end up getting deleted when a real video file replaces the .disc file.

• Like 1

I certainly understand this feature request but wanted to offer two possible alternates:

Right now you can semi-control this by keeping all DISC files in a specific library with sub download not turned on.

The other way would be to require a hash match (usually a good idea anyway) and the subs would never match the DISC in this case so no sub download would take place.

crusher11

I almost never rip all the audio tracks that are actually on the disc, so requiring a hash match will mean no subtitles, ever, for anything.

And the whole reason I have stubs in the first place is to keep my library organised even if I don't have everything ripped; using a new library defeats that purpose.

Understood,  just throwing those ideas out in case you weren't aware of them in case it could help.  Feature request is valid IMHO.

We shouldn't be downloading them for stubs so we'll resolve this. Thanks.

• Like 2

Happy2Play

4.5.0.16 beta

• Don't download subtitles for disc placeholders
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
crusher11

I added a stub a couple of days ago. Was just looking in that folder and it contains an SRT file. Seeing as I didn't put it there, it must have been automatically downloaded. 

crusher11

Are you seriously suggesting I created an SRT file myself without realising it? 

I don't know when it was downloaded.

I don't know when it was downloaded.

The date created timestamp of the subtitle file should give you a good idea of that.

crusher11

I think this is it. Downloaded subs for "Never Say Never Again (1983).disc".

...and now that I look at it not only is "Never Say Never Again (1983).en.srt" in there, there's also "Never Say Never Again (1983).1.en.srt". So not only is it downloading subtitles for a file it shouldn't download subs for at all, it's doing so repeatedly.

Looking further through my stubs folder, some movies have seven subtitle files. WTF? No wonder I was getting rate-limited.

embyserver-63740822400.txt

This is something Luke needs to look at.  It could very well be a bug that needs fixing as "disc" files aren't really used much by people and not by any beta tester that I recall. At least the good news is subtitle files are relatively small files compared to actual media.

Most of us don't want place holders but actual media in Emby.  That's not meant to say you're doing anything wrong as you're not.  It's just a situation that probably hasn't gotten tested much at all as I don't think many use this option.

It's quote possible this worked correctly until I asked Luke to make a change to download subtitles for strm files (works) which are another form of stub file but playable.

crusher11

The fact that it's downloading a new copy of the same subtitles over and over again doesn't seem like it would be stub specific. 

That may be true.  It's something Luke needs to look at regardless and fix which I'm sure he will now that it's been reported.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

@Luke

• Solution

I can't reproduce this. What I can reproduce though is the server attempting image extraction on these items, so I can correct that to get those errors out of the log.

Did you add these to your library recently?

crusher11

@Luke I have some stubs with 16 subtitle files now. This is getting to be ridiculous.

It only affects stubs, though. Movies with no embedded subtitles download one SRT file and then stop. The stubs get a new one downloaded every day.

• 3 years later...