XBox One: Sound volume lower recently

oceanclub

oceanclub

Has anyone noticed an issue recently where the volume from Emby on XBox is less then before? My Xbox outputs via optical cable to a 5.1 system. I haven't made any setup or hardware changes recently. I've checked the Emby app volume itself and that is set up 100%. But the volume output from the app is far lower than either the XBox system sounds or sounds from other apps such as Spotify . Watching a movie right now and I have my surround system volume at max (50) while for anything else it is 10-20. Any else suggest what might be going on? Everything seemed fine until a month or so ago

Have you tested this with a move/show that only contains 2 channel audio?  I'm wondering if you might be loosing loudness from other audio channels?

oceanclub

I've tried both series and surround sound movies (and music) and they don't appear any louder or softer on Emby compared to each other, but softer than other XBox apps.

OK just checking on that.  This is a good thing btw.

I don't have an xbox near me at the moment so I'm not sure what to check or look at since you already said the app volume was 100%.  Maybe someone else will have an idea.

oceanclub

Ah! So I accidentally figured this out. It's not a bug, more a usability thing. I'll give a description in case someone else gets this problem.

So normally I use a physical media remote for the XBox; the volume control for that doesn't change the volume of the XBox output but of my surround sound speakers.

Secondly, there's also the XBox app volume setting which is normally at 100%. (This is accessible by hitting the Guide button on your controller or remote, selecting the Emby app and pressing A - all it does is let you setting a comparable volume between the app and the XBox system sounds).

Thirdly, I sometimes use the Emby app on Android to act as a remote control for XBox. That _also_ has a volume control setting. That volume control changes the level of the volume of the actual Emby XBox app. Raising or lowering the volume with that doesn't show up onscreen. As far as I know, there is no other way to the change the volume of the actual Emby app on XBox apart from this way.

Anyway, what happened was at sometime in the past I was using the Emby Android app as a remote and lowered the volume to very low. So that was the default volume setting for Emby with no visibilty. So the "fix" was just to use the Android app to raise the volume again.

A "fix" here would be to show that volume control in the Emby XBox app itself. (Unless of course it's there already and I just haven't seen it, in which case make it more prominent?)

P.

Edited by oceanclub
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 2:26 PM, oceanclub said:

Ah! So I accidentally figured this out. It's not a bug, more a usability thing. I'll give a description in case someone else gets this problem.

So normally I use a physical media remote for the XBox; the volume control for that doesn't change the volume of the XBox output but of my surround sound speakers.

Secondly, there's also the XBox app volume setting which is normally at 100%. (This is accessible by hitting the Guide button on your controller or remote, selecting the Emby app and pressing A - all it does is let you setting a comparable volume between the app and the XBox system sounds).

Thirdly, I sometimes use the Emby app on Android to act as a remote control for XBox. That _also_ has a volume control setting. That volume control changes the level of the volume of the actual Emby XBox app. Raising or lowering the volume with that doesn't show up onscreen. As far as I know, there is no other way to the change the volume of the actual Emby app on XBox apart from this way.

Anyway, what happened was at sometime in the past I was using the Emby Android app as a remote and lowered the volume to very low. So that was the default volume setting for Emby with no visibilty. So the "fix" was just to use the Android app to raise the volume again.

A "fix" here would be to show that volume control in the Emby XBox app itself. (Unless of course it's there already and I just haven't seen it, in which case make it more prominent?)

P.

Hi, so you are saying there's three different volumes you're working with, or two?

• 3 weeks later...
oceanclub
On 7/27/2020 at 7:18 PM, Luke said:

Hi, so you are saying there's three different volumes you're working with, or two?

It's really two. The Guide button setting just specifies how loud the system sounds are compared to the app volume.

In summary the issue is that the Android app allows you to set the app volume while the XBox One app doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
oceanclub

Just to note that even though I reported this issue _and_ figured out why it was happening, I still got caught by it again today! :)

A workaround would be at least to have the XBox app to reset to the "default" volume on restart.

P.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 7:39 AM, oceanclub said:

Just to note that even though I reported this issue _and_ figured out why it was happening, I still got caught by it again today! :)

A workaround would be at least to have the XBox app to reset to the "default" volume on restart.

P.

Thanks, we'll take a look at that.