Shield TV 2019 (Tube) issues

fyhjason

fyhjason

I just bought a 2019 shield tube and tested out my Emby library. Some notable issues:

1. Random video transcode issue. Using default Emby Android TV client setting, some of my 4k movies will transcode to play when not needed. I managed to set a 100 mbps video playback bitrate limit and no transcode on user policy to resolve the issue, but this still seems to be a bug since bitrate "Auto" should mean no bitrate limit and direct play as much as possible.

2. Random audio transcode issue. When playing some HEVC + FLAC videos, the audio will start transcode into AAC which IMO is not really needed. No resolutions yet but I tried playing on my iPhone client which is libMpv and it's all direct play. Also tried playing on Android TV VLC seems no transcoding needed either.

3. Other issues. Black screen of deaths. Sudden crash for apps. All similar to problems mentioned in the other thread. No resolution either.

Would appreciate some help here.

rbjtech

Return it and buy the Shield Pro .. do a search as there are many issues with the 'Tube' that all the media players are experiencing as it's a hobbled, memory constrained 32bit player... :(

• Like 3

fyhjason
7 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Return it and buy the Shield Pro .. do a search as there are many issues with the 'Tube' that all the media players are experiencing as it's a hobbled, memory constrained 32bit player... :(

I know a lot of people did that... But I don't know for sure if this is really a hardware problem since other players like VLC and MX player play all fine on my tube. Also I like the slimmer form factor of the tube. Really hope these things can be fixed by software update.

rbjtech

It really depends on what you are using it for - if you are playing 1080p HD content or 4K streaming (low bandwidth for 4K) content from the internet, then it copes - but if you are trying to push 4K Remux's - then it struggles or simply hangs.     Personally, I would not want to invest in a piece of hardware that is already seeing limitations - in a years time, will it start to struggle with high bitrate streaming from Netflix as well ?

• Like 2

fyhjason
6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

It really depends on what you are using it for - if you are playing 1080p HD content or 4K streaming (low bandwidth for 4K) content from the internet, then it copes - but if you are trying to push 4K Remux's - then it struggles or simply hangs.     Personally, I would not want to invest in a piece of hardware that is already seeing limitations - in a years time, will it start to struggle with high bitrate streaming from Netflix as well ?

In fact, the problem you mentioned - playing 4K Remux is solved for me. I was able to get around the weird transcode issue like I mentioned in 1. Now it direct plays fine, only occasionally when exiting playing the app would freeze. Also all the same 4K Remux file plays fine on VLC on my tube shield, which is using Libvlc instead Exoplayer (both Emby and Plex use, I recall?). That's why I suspect software issues.

But again, I'm no developer, rbjtech, and I might be totally wrong :) I wish Emby dev can weigh in a bit so that I can decide whether to return my tube shield.

FrostByte

The BSOD issue may be fixed already in the betas.  If you want to test that you could sideload the latest apk.