Dip toe in the C# waters...

psykix

psykix

I decided I'd like to dip my toe in the C# waters - mainly so I can try to decipher that double dutch that you guys are coding, and how Github works.

I used to program many moons ago (like almost 30 years ago now!) - Cobol, Basic & some Assembler. Nothing object oriented though, and obviously nothing modern.

Couple of questions you guys can probably answer :-

What IDE should I use? I have access to all the Visual Studio 2013 versions through Microsoft Software Assurance, so presumably one of those would suit?

I want to use my Macbook Pro to learn on - I also have Parallels. Would that suffice? Or will Parallels cause me any issues when programming? I can Bootcamp, but it's a bit of a pain having to switch.

Finally, anyone recommend a good up to date starter book? Or online vids or any other learning materials? I guess you guys never needed them recently so may not be able to answer that question!

Hopefully I can generate a head of steam and start to understand things better :-)

Cheers!

Della Dog

I decided I'd like to dip my toe in the C# waters - mainly so I can try to decipher that double dutch that you guys are coding, and how Github works.

I used to program many moons ago (like almost 30 years ago now!) - Cobol, Basic & some Assembler. Nothing object oriented though, and obviously nothing modern.

Couple of questions you guys can probably answer :-

What IDE should I use? I have access to all the Visual Studio 2013 versions through Microsoft Software Assurance, so presumably one of those would suit?

I want to use my Macbook Pro to learn on - I also have Parallels. Would that suffice? Or will Parallels cause me any issues when programming? I can Bootcamp, but it's a bit of a pain having to switch.

Finally, anyone recommend a good up to date starter book? Or online vids or any other learning materials? I guess you guys never needed them recently so may not be able to answer that question!

Hopefully I can generate a head of steam and start to understand things better :-)

Cheers!

Visual Studio 2013 is all you need. I would recommenced booting into Windows directly (bootcamp) rather than running parallel. You'll be surprised at  the extensiveness of the on-line documentation. OOP may seem foreign now, but you sure wont miss all the "Go To's" 

• Like 1

darwindeeds

I suggest reading a book or two. While reading books suck and you will take a while before you start coding. It will help tremendously to get your basics right. Basics is what differentiates you from a "OK" developer to be "Good/Pro" developer.

I have learnt this the hard way but I have changed technologies enough to correct my mistakes. Good Luck!

• Like 1

psykix

I've grabbed Visual Studio Ultimate (cos I could) and have found some videos on the Microsoft Virtual Academy.

Just need a book recommendation now - any suggestions? I'll have a search and see if anything stands out as a recommended starting point.

I don't mind reading books (as long as they are technical and not novels!)