No audio on LG OLED CX for DTS

Stateful
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

rbjtech

For those with the DTS problem, the best solution is to simply add a non DTS track to the original media.  That way, the issues goes away and you now have a file that can be played by any system - you can opt to play the DTS Audio if you can - this script does not replace it.

Go to your emby server system directory and find ffmpeg

Then at a command window use the following to ADD an AC3 track and make it the default track :-

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mkv -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a -map 0:s?  -c:v copy -c:s copy -c:a copy -c:a:0 ac3 -disposition:a:0 default -disposition:a:1 0 output.mkv

It copies all the existing tracks (original quality) and just adds an AC3 track, derived from the 1st Audio track.

This will work on any mkv file incl 4K - it will not touch the original 'input.mkv' file.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Setup:
LG CX - HDMI Passthrough Bitsream enabled via eARC
NVIDIA Shield Pro - DTS disabled
Emby for Android TV Beta 1.8.48g
Emby for Android 3.1.55 Beta
Sonos Arc linked via eARC HDMI

Playback on Emby for Android:

DV and ATMOS Source played fine with some bugs switching back on forth to HDR10
DV and DTS Source played without any Sound, showing no transcoding in SFN

Playback on Emby for Android TV

DV and ATMOS Source: DV not supported yet, ATMOS True HD worked fine
DV and DTS: HDR and DTS direct play, but Sonos schows Dolby Digital Plus
- So Emby is transcoding to Dolby?

Now the best of both should be in the Android TV app. 
DV support and DTS Force Transcoding, since LG CX and Sonos ARC aren't able to play DTS.

Adding AC3 Lanes with FFMpeg works for the sound, but the Dolby Vision Codec is getting lost.
I tried converting DTS to AC3 with Popcorn Audio Converter (adding sound with mkvtoolnix), FFmpeg and Xmedia Recode. All of them can't handle Dolby Vision.

So we have to wait, until emby for Android TV supports it.

Thanks for your support. 

On 10/18/2020 at 2:39 AM, Luke said:

I work for emby, and the next update to the emby app will resolve this. Thanks.

Hi, did you know when emby will update ? So painfully to extract sound and convert to other audio codec...

@Luke 

Hey, is there any ETA for the next update? I am not able to watch anything since a Month yet. I would appreciate it if you can give us an ETA or at least if its going to be released by the end of the month. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
harrybi
On 11/9/2020 at 4:42 AM, Luke said:

We are working on getting a release through the LG review process. Thanks.

Any update on this?

I've got a new LG 49UN71006LB (WebOS 5.2) suffering from the same problem.

gizzmo_77

Hallo Community,

generell bin ich sehr zufrieden mit der Funktion meines Emby Servers. Entschieden hatte ich mich für Emby, da die Berichte über den Support / Einstellungsmöglichkeiten gegenüber Plex deutlich besser waren. Darauf hin also ein Lifetime Abo erworben, auch um das Projekt zu unterstützen. Umso mehr enttäuscht es mich, dass es seit Monaten keine Lösung für das bekannte DTS LG Problem gibt. Bereits 2018! wurde über dieses Feature diskutiert:

Jedoch bringt mir das als User leider nichts, wenn seit Monaten keiner meiner neuen TVs Ton wiedergeben kann aufgrund eines eigentlich simplen Switches, welcher direct Play für DTS deaktiviert bzw. eine Transkodierung erlaubt.

Edited by gizzmo_77

On 1/13/2021 at 5:32 AM, aahmyu said:

Hello, having the same issue on my LG TV. Will there be any update to fix this.?

Hi, yes we're working on getting an update out. Thanks for reporting.

Audiomixer

Also ran into this issue on my Lg CX. Would be great to be able to toggle DTS on or off manually like plex does.

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as LG approves the next release...

Edited by SamES

ADHARA26
8 minutes ago, SamES said:

As soon as LG approves the next release...

Explain plz ?

2020 LG TVs will never add DTS internal codec.  

If you have info, please share 🙂

Edited by ADHARA26

31 minutes ago, ADHARA26 said:

2020 LG TVs will never add DTS internal codec

That is correct, but in the next LG client release DTS tracks will automatically be converted to AC3 tracks during playback.

ADHARA26
34 minutes ago, SamES said:

That is correct, but in the next LG client release DTS tracks will automatically be converted to AC3 tracks during playback.

Thanks but I'm not sure it's a good thing:

- Dolby Digital AC-3 - 640kb/s  max -  5.1 max  - up to  16 bit 48 khz per chanel
- DTS - 1509 kb/s  max - 5.1 max - up to  24 bit / 96 khz per chanel
- DTS-HD Master - 25 mb/s max  - 7.1 max - up to  24 bit /192 khz per chanel

As far as I know, there is a big loss of quality transcoding a DTS audio track to AC3 (Dolby).

Is there any way, in AC3,  to have an audio quality near to original DTS audio track after transcoding ?

Maybe there are some possible options (tuning) with ffmpeg doing this better as possible (we can use SoX resampler for example).

PS: Maybe  best would be to have an external media box like Zidoo ... Not BEST would be LG to add DTS support (codec) Or DTS audio passthrough (direct mode).

I have seen this script below.

But missing "640k" option to use full AC3 capability for audio bitrate

#!/bin/bash
DTS="Audio: dts (DTS)"

find /volume1/films -type f -name "*chute*.mkv" -print0 | while IFS= read -r -d '' file; do
        if ffprobe "$file" |& grep -F "$DTS"; then
        echo "DTS audio found, converting $file"
        /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/bin\ffmpeg -nostdin -i "$file" -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a -map 0:s?  -c:v copy -c:s copy -c:a copy -c:a:0 ac3 -disposition:a:0 default -disposition:a:1 0 "${file%.mkv}.AC3.mkv"
        wait
        test -f "${file%.mkv}.AC3.mkv" && rm "$file"
    else
        echo "DTS audio not found in $file"
        fi
    done

Edited by ADHARA26

Yes, I expect there will be some loss of quality, but if LG aren't supporting DTS then conversion to a compatible format (AC3) is our best available option.

Alternatively, you can do your own conversion and add the track to the file and select it for playback.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/87802-no-audio-on-lg-oled-cx-for-dts/&do=findComment&comment=941220

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 1:45 PM, SamES said:

Yes, I expect there will be some loss of quality, but if LG aren't supporting DTS then conversion to a compatible format (AC3) is our best available option.

Alternatively, you can do your own conversion and add the track to the file and select it for playback.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/87802-no-audio-on-lg-oled-cx-for-dts/&do=findComment&comment=941220

If DTS->AC3 is unacceptable because of potential bitrate/quality degrade, you could transcode it to E-AC3 which support bitrates up to 6144 kb/s. Newer LG TVs support this.

On 2/8/2021 at 2:16 AM, garciaguitar said:

What time out new release ouy for this problem resolve?

Hi, yes it's resolved for the next update to the app. Thanks.

rbjtech

The simple fact is that on TV 'stereo' speakers, unless you use an extremely low bitrate/poor conversion, you are simply not going to notice the difference between a DTS track and a converted AC3 or AAC track.

For the majority of people, they just want 'sound' as they currently get silence if the video file only has a DTS audio track.

For the Audiophile's out there that can tell the difference, then I largely suspect they are already using an AVR that is natively playing all the sound formats direct anyway...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Charlie117
On 9/16/2020 at 6:46 AM, Luke said:

We're working getting our update through LG review. Thanks.

I know this isn't Emby's fault, but is this update ever going to come through?

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
teddybear75

So i got an LC CX OLED and fired it up yesterday, to my big disappointment, sound did not work when playing movies with Emby.

I google`d the issue, and found this thread. I had no idea that DTS did not work, even with passthrough to my soundbar.

Had to use my Nvidia Shield to be able to play with sound.

Looking forward to an Emby update for the LG tv.

Edited by teddybear75
  • Like 1

teddybear75

Just a quick follow up to my earlier post. This of course does not help with the tv app, but i thought i would share my experience in case it might help someone else.

I was planning on building a gaming pc for this tv, so i got it set up, and tried Emby Theatre in Windows.

Well the sound works fine via eARC from the tv, but of course no DTS passthrough.

Since im using a soundbar with hdmi input (and eARC), i connected a second cable from the GPU to my soundbar and voila, i now have a new LG TV showing up in my sound devices in windows, and dts passthrough working perfectly :)

embyforum.JPG

Edited by teddybear75
  • Like 2

rbjtech
2 hours ago, teddybear75 said:

Since im using a soundbar with hdmi input (and eARC), i connected a second cable from the GPU to my soundbar and voila, i now have a new LG TV showing up in my sound devices in windows, and dts passthrough working perfectly :)

Nice  👍 

To note - technically you are not using eARC nor passthrough with this 2nd hdmi cable, but a direct (duplicate) bitstream connection from the PC source to the soundbar.

teddybear75
21 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Nice  👍 

To note - technically you are not using eARC nor passthrough with this 2nd hdmi cable, but a direct (duplicate) bitstream connection from the PC source to the soundbar.

Thanks, edited :)👍