Movie Covers

bugmafia007
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

bugmafia007

Scan 100% finished!!!! Thank You all especially to "CAYARS" 

Oh yeah Memes

This forum and EMBY simply rocks !!!i just uninstalled plex after 7-8 years i think  😃

Gracias .

• Like 2

• Solution

Every library had thumbnail generation turn on during scanning.

So we changed that for each library and restarted the scan.

That's it.

• Like 1

bugmafia007
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

And the issue was...?

Thumbnails ...in the moment u disable thumbnails from all the movie folders ..boom ..finished in minutes .

What i suggest for EMBY coders so this will never happen again : 

After the installation of the new emby server when the user will add his first movie folders ,  if the user will enable this ..a new POP UP will pop up  with an warning ,that is not recommended to do it on the first scan because the scan will take months ..yes months ..That's it .

No plugins removal or other stuff ..Only this 

BTW i check and see many posts regarding slow scan ..so doing that pop up will cause happiness in the world :)

Edited by bugmafia007

FrostByte
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Every library had thumbnail generation turn on during scanning.

So we changed that for each library and restarted the scan.

That's it.

That'll do it.  When I start fresh installs I also add in one library at a time.  Best to get up and running as quick as possible.  

Hi. I'm glad you figured it out.  We did ask you if you had enabled that specific option in your library setup in the beginning of this thread :).

• Like 1

Yes and the ONE LIBRARY that he posted didn't have the option set.  All the other did. :)

• Haha 1

bugmafia007

Lool 4 days ago i was a noob(new user) now im a noob emby expert becausee of u guys 😁

• Like 2

Hi, thumbnails are off by default. Did you check out the help text underneath the option?

Spaceboy

Not sure why anyone is surprised. You could see from post 11 he had thumbnail extraction on

bugmafia007

yeah ..take a look :

image.png.a3139528306134a310b6970800fd2ec8.png

So were is written  here that if u enable this the scan will take more than 7 days ? lool 

so no warnings here ... 

bugmafia007
4 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

Not sure why anyone is surprised. You could see from post 11 he had thumbnail extraction on

Exactly!!! and disabling that make the scan to finish in less than 1 hour ...

Having thumbnail extraction turned on will not slow down the initial scan.

It's the other option "Create thumbnail images during the library scan" that was shown as being off that caused the slowdown.  One library (one shown in pic) had this disabled but other libraries had it enabled.

This difference is WHEN the extraction takes place (real-time vs scheduled process).

Spaceboy

Lol. Pic in post 11 shows thumbnail extraction being done simultaneously to library scan. Combining that with the reported slow scan it was blindingly obvious what the problem was

Those are two separate tasks. Sure there will be more IO but it's not really much different than playing a movie while a scan is taking place.

bugmafia007

And what's strange that doesn't matter what kind of monster pc u have or a monster internet bandwidth ..will still take ages ..

Thats why  what i  recommended is adviced to be done ->to add  a warning there... will help all the Humanity  😃

Edited by bugmafia007

20 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

Lol. Pic in post 11 shows thumbnail extraction being done simultaneously to library scan. Combining that with the reported slow scan it was blindingly obvious what the problem was

Yes, and that's why I asked him to kill that task and also to be sure he did not have the option to create thumbs during the library scan turned on.  He confirmed with an image that he had done that.

Riggs
On 6/30/2020 at 4:26 AM, bugmafia007 said:

Hi,

Yesterday i imported my 2000k movies in to my new EMBY  server .. 

Now the issue i have is that the artwork(movies covers and thumbnails ) still is not 100% (my internet speed 1GB\1GB ) 

maybe 10 % of all my movies have covers :

You mean 2000k =2 million? or 2 thousand

bugmafia007
2 minutes ago, Riggs said:

You mean 2000k =2 million? or 2 thousand

ups 2k(2000) movies 

Edited by bugmafia007

Riggs
27 minutes ago, bugmafia007 said:

ups 2k(2000) movies 

I asked you the question, because I have about 2500 movies and a number of series plus about 14 thousand songs.
Just to share my experience with installing the server from 0, I have had very good experiences with it, Emby is especially friendly for it. In my case, I use one folder per movie, series and group/album and within each folder, the artworks. The task is usually quick (approximately 1 hour), where it takes a little longer is with the music, I put that aside and include it the next day. I try not to use nfo's although they are useful for many people, because if the path or something changes, sometimes it can be a problem regenerating a server or it can drag some errors that they already have. If you want to use them, just delete them in bulk and let the new facility recreate them. Being able to choose to have the arts inside each folder is wonderful because Emby will only searh for text and people metadata.
@Luke I hope that someday there will be a way to put the artworks in one place or at least, the people and collections artworks may be able to have a dedicated directory to avoid having to re-customize the collections and by the way avoid Emby having to download people's artworks every time.

I'm glad you could solve your problem
Cheers :)

• Like 1

Spaceboy
Yes, and that's why I asked him to kill that task and also to be sure he did not have the option to create thumbs during the library scan turned on.  He confirmed with an image that he had done that.

It’s not really relevant. When the scan library task is going on for days it’s obvious what the cause is.

Anyway....

The relevant part was that all other libraries were configured differently then what was uploaded.  The way it was set in the pics posted are the way every library is now configured.

It's the option to create the thumbnails/bif files DURING scanning that was the issue. Having thumbnails turned on or allowing thumbnail task running wasn't the problem.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

When the scan library task is going on for days it’s obvious what the cause is

That's not at all true.  There are some obvious culprits - like this option - which is why we asked him to disable it.  Then when he confirmed he had disabled it, we were left looking for some other explanation.

Problem was it wasn't really disabled.

In any case, solved now.  Closing.