Automate User login

fogpuppy

fogpuppy

Hi all,

I want to automate the login of a "guest" user for my application.  I have a nginx web server proxy front end so it can get/post to the emby web server to facilitate this.  Basically my application is going to use Emby to stream media to tablets, phones and laptops via a web browser.    However,  I really want to streamline the entire process so I cant be asking them to login, etc.

I looking at the log there are two URLs that look promising.  The most important one is probably http://localhost:8096/emby/Users/authenticatebyname which does the actual login.  I assume if I could pass this the right values it would work.  I know the name of the user ("Guest") and it has no password. 

Any help someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I also saw another URLhttp://localhost:8096/emby/users/public that might be helpful. It returns results like:

[{"Name":"Guest","ServerId":"e980d705c40e4165a2c2d52db1eaf4b3","Id":"b33906dee93c4bd18eed059c34ea069c",
"HasPassword":false,"HasConfiguredPassword":false,"HasConfiguredEasyPassword":false,"LastLoginDate":"2020-06-28T13:55:35.0120320+00:00",
"LastActivityDate":"2020-06-28T13:55:40.1153600+00:00","Configuration":{"PlayDefaultAudioTrack":true,"DisplayMissingEpisodes":false,
"GroupedFolders":[],"SubtitleMode":"Default","DisplayCollectionsView":false,"EnableLocalPassword":false,"OrderedViews":[],
"LatestItemsExcludes":[],"MyMediaExcludes":[],"HidePlayedInLatest":true,"RememberAudioSelections":true,"RememberSubtitleSelections":true,
"EnableNextEpisodeAutoPlay":true},"Policy":{"IsAdministrator":false,"IsHidden":false,"IsHiddenRemotely":true,"IsDisabled":false,
"BlockedTags":[],"IsTagBlockingModeInclusive":false,"EnableUserPreferenceAccess":true,"AccessSchedules":[],"BlockUnratedItems":[],
"EnableRemoteControlOfOtherUsers":false,"EnableSharedDeviceControl":true,"EnableRemoteAccess":true,
"EnableLiveTvManagement":false,"EnableLiveTvAccess":false,"EnableMediaPlayback":true,"EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding":true,
"EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding":true,"EnablePlaybackRemuxing":true,"EnableContentDeletion":false,"EnableContentDeletionFromFolders":[],
"EnableContentDownloading":true,"EnableSubtitleDownloading":false,"EnableSubtitleManagement":false,"EnableSyncTranscoding":true,
"EnableMediaConversion":true,"EnabledDevices":[],"EnableAllDevices":true,"EnabledChannels":[],"EnableAllChannels":true,"EnabledFolders":[],
"EnableAllFolders":true,"InvalidLoginAttemptCount":0,"EnablePublicSharing":true,"RemoteClientBitrateLimit":0,
"AuthenticationProviderId":"Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.DefaultAuthenticationProvider","ExcludedSubFolders":[],
"DisablePremiumFeatures":false,"SimultaneousStreamLimit":0}}]

You may want to check out the Organizr or Ombi apps. They may have features to link into the Emby web app, so you can see how they're doing it. But again I'm not positive about it and it's not something we're actively testing ourselves.

fogpuppy

ok great hints.  By looking at both Ombi and some other posts on this site I can now successfully call the API to authenticate my guest user.  The problem if how to get it to then go to the home page after that user ...  I'm assuming I probably need to just set teh user ID and/or Server ID in some headers or pass them as parameters and do a redirect but .... any help anyone?

6 hours ago, fogpuppy said:

ok great hints.  By looking at both Ombi and some other posts on this site I can now successfully call the API to authenticate my guest user.  The problem if how to get it to then go to the home page after that user ...  I'm assuming I probably need to just set teh user ID and/or Server ID in some headers or pass them as parameters and do a redirect but .... any help anyone?

We don't have an official way of doing this, but i wouldn't be surprised if you're able to find some other community hack for it.

• 10 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 10:46 PM, fogpuppy said:

Hi @fogpuppy, can you share me your solution?
I tried to do something with the API, but I don't get it.

I get the Access Token, but i am not able to use this to start a logged in session.

My goal is to SSO my Azure User who has no password with the REMOTE USER name of apache and some php and javascript.