Library Folders in Password protected Samba shares

casaper

casaper

Hello

I manage to add a public, so not password protected share of a samba server as a library folder, which seems to work just fine.

\\servers-hostname-or-address\sharename

It took me a while to figure out that I really have to use windows style network share annotation BTW, despite anything here is Unix-ish, including the docker host and the Emby docker image.. so smb:// is simply not understood... Perhaps It would be great the documentation mentioned that somehow. If told where I'd not hesitate to contribute that tiny little ;)

However, I'd like my Emby Server to store metadata as NFO, and thumbnails along with my media files. So that obviously requires write access.

For obvious reasons I'd not like to share my media file directories writeable without any password protection at all.

So how would I enter the URL with username and password?

Or does Emby even offer a better way to identify itself to a windows like samba server?

I don't have any active directory or anything. It is really the dumbest and least advanced version of a samba config I could manage to get a modern samba version to agree on running with.

TIA for any hints.

Casaper

PS: Currently I have that working but quirky and not ideally as SMB-Shares mounted natively to the docker host system and then linked to emby server with additional volumes.

PS: Currently I have that working but quirky and not ideally as SMB-Shares mounted natively to the docker host system and then linked to emby server with additional volumes.

Hi, this is actually our suggested approach. There is currently no way to supply Emby Server with the SMB credentials.

casaper
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, this is actually our suggested approach. There is currently no way to supply Emby Server with the SMB credentials.

Hi,

Ok, fair enough.

But does that folder input still take the username and password as cleartext?
Just like the unix url would `smb://usernam:myinsecurepass@hostname/share` ?

The whole thing is actually not about security, really. And I certainly don't request Emby to be a password store, far from it.

And having a headless box mounting smb shares from fstab isn't that much more secure anyway, since I definitely don't wanna setup any shared secrets like I would when deploying with gitlab for example.

No, this is just my media files, no one cares. It's rather, that I don't want accidents happening to them. Accidental deletes, accidental updates. That's all.

From Emby's perspective, no. You'd use the tools in Docker to mount the SMB path to some local path such as /mnt/media, or something along those lines. Then you'd use /mnt/media in Emby.

casaper
6 hours ago, Luke said:

From Emby's perspective, no. You'd use the tools in Docker to mount the SMB path to some local path such as /mnt/media, or something along those lines. Then you'd use /mnt/media in Emby.

Yea, I know. And that carries its own problems, because then Emby tries to use features it could use on a filesystem native to the host system, like instantly monitoring file system changes.

Plus if the host system fails to mount the SMB share for what ever reason, Emby has an unpleasant reaction to that - it basically removes all the library entries, because it cannot find any files in the given media directory...

But never mind. Since I dropped my requirement to have write access, for Emby, I just mount them with read only access, and that works just fine for me now.

Thanks for your answers.

The flip side is we have to build our own smb implemention which is quite a large project and pulls us away from media related development. Thanks for the feedback.