Enable Refresh Rate Switching / Match Video Resolution

aja07
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

aja07

Hi,  I am just after some information re "Enable Refresh Rate Switching" and "Match Video Resolution"

These 2 settings are "off" by default but i am keen to understand under what conditions should I be setting these to "On"

ie I am looking for a better understanding / description of what they do.

Thanks

PS am running a W10 server with Shield Pro 2019 client  (also Mibox client)

Edited by aja07

• Solution
rbjtech

If you display device is capable of refreshing the screen at the same rate as the source video (ie 23.976/23.98 for most film) - then you will see a much smoother experience on screen - especially when the video is 'panning' - or going from left <> right.  Usually, a process called 'pulldown' automatically inserts/holds frames when it does not match to make it as smooth as it can - but if your TV can refresh at that rate anyway - it is much better to have them match.  Thus the option to do it in emby.

They are off by default as some devices do not like to switch refresh rates on the fly, and you end up with a blank screen.

Turn it on and see if you TV is ok - you can easily see what is happening if you enable the 'Stats for Nerds' in the emby options (press and hold the centre button for the Shield) - this should then show the display rate is the same as the video.

You may notice a brief 'blank' of the screen when you drop back to the menu - this is normal as the screen will go back to 60Hz - or whatever your default TV setting is.

Video resolution is a similar concept, when the 'input' of the TV will try and match the video - this in turn forces the internal scaler of the TV to do the upscaling work.  ie you send a 720p video to your TV with this turned on, your 1080p TV (for example) accepts this and sets it's upscaler for 720p with all the appropriate optimised settings.  If it wasn't turned on, the TV would still upscale, but it may not be optimised.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
slicedmass

@Luke don't want to open a new topic for this. Does the framerate switching option work for Android phones casting to a chromecast ultra? Or is this only for playing on the phone itself or Android devices that are directly plugged in to the tv or have Android TV OS?

• 1 month later...
dharkkum

At my Sony TVs i can turn "Enable Refresh Rate Switching" on or off, but videos are always played with 60p, no 24p.

Tested on Sony 55XH9005, 65ZD9 and 85XH9505.

What can i do?

rbjtech

Not all devices support Refresh Rate switching.  What is the stats for nerds saying ?

Yeah, unfortunately, none of the Android TVs support video mode switching.

• 9 months later...
14 minutes ago, BalthazarBux said:

I don't find these options in the app on my Fire Stick 4K.

Hi, where are you looking for them?

BalthazarBux
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, where are you looking for them?

In the app settings from the cogwheel on the front page when app start

Hi.  I don't believe the Fire devices support this.  If the option isn't showing for you, that indicates that there is no support for it.

BalthazarBux
Just now, ebr said:

Hi.  I don't believe the Fire devices support this.  If the option isn't showing for you, that indicates that there is no support for it.

Ok, it has the option of matching frame rates in its own options for video. It says that compatible apps will change to original frame rate if ON.

1 hour ago, BalthazarBux said:

it has the option of matching frame rates in its own options for video. It says that compatible apps will change to original frame rate if ON

If you turn that on, does it?

BalthazarBux
14 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you turn that on, does it?

No, it doesn't. It does when testing in Plex, Kodi and Amazon Prime Video. But it seems I have to have it on in Fire Stick settings and then also in the app settings for it to work.

That's why I miss it in Emby app settings.

BalthazarBux

SOLVED:
It seems my FireTV stick had bugged out. 
I changed my resolution settings in the Stick to manual 1080p so the setting of Match Original Frame Rate automatically turned off.
Then I changed back to Auto setting again for resolution and activated the frame rate matching again.

Now the options in Emby was there, I checked match frame rate option in the Emby app, and now it works!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
RDHoworth
On 02/03/2022 at 23:27, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks !

Hi,

I have just sideloaded this on my Sony XH95 TV. All the options seem to be available and the App also seems to work fine. I very much like that this app shows all the media information when selecting a film. I also like the slightly simpler display when compared with Android for TV. The only (very slight) issue is that the up down buttons are a little sensitive, in that when moving down a list, it occasionally jumps 2 rows instead of just 1.

Are there any issues with using this app rather than the Android TV specific app that I should be aware of?

Regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 4:00 PM, RDHoworth said:

Hi,

I have just sideloaded this on my Sony XH95 TV. All the options seem to be available and the App also seems to work fine. I very much like that this app shows all the media information when selecting a film. I also like the slightly simpler display when compared with Android for TV. The only (very slight) issue is that the up down buttons are a little sensitive, in that when moving down a list, it occasionally jumps 2 rows instead of just 1.

Are there any issues with using this app rather than the Android TV specific app that I should be aware of?

Regards, Richard

Hi @RDHoworth this app is fully supported on TV devices, and in fact if you download again and install the latest version, the arrow key sensitivity should be resolved now. Thanks !

• 1 year later...
supermood

hi can I set the emby menu to a fix resolution and refresh rate like 4k23hz somehow? I have switch on and all works great no stutter.

but it would minimize sync times and the short black screens as most of my content is 23.9xx hz and the menu in emby seems 4k30, why? 

thanks!! 

17 minutes ago, supermood said:

hi can I set the emby menu to a fix resolution and refresh rate like 4k23hz somehow? I have switch on and all works great no stutter.

but it would minimize sync times and the short black screens as most of my content is 23.9xx hz and the menu in emby seems 4k30, why? 

thanks!! 

HI, the user interface just runs under device defaults.

supermood
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, the user interface just runs under device defaults.

wheres the setting? not in devices.theres only a name... 

the device itself is set to fix 4k23 and 444 bt10 was it if I remember correctly. should be like this someone told me. it's not a shield. 3mhy seems to overwrite it with the menu to 4k30

thanks!