Migrate from a Syno to an other Syno

niouuu

niouuu

Hello all,
@cayars
I have my working library on a Synology and the emby server is installed on it.

I need to migrate all my library and my server to an other Synology.

I already copied, my movie files to the new Syno, I installed emby server on it. I restored the configuration from backup/restore plugin.

I tried to add my files in the library, but troubles started here.

Nothing restored in the movies description... So I searched, and it seemed that is because the nfo wasn't saved with the files.

I tried with on file, it's ok, it restore some details. But not movie background and pictures.

For the People it seems to be ok, I used People Backup, but it work strangely.

So I have few question:

- how can I do to generate to all existing files from my old library? Does I need to edit Metadata in each files and save, to generate one by one?

- how can I restore movies pictures (background, fanart) saved from my old library?

- for people backup/restore, if I restore my backup it not work, I need to create the people on a movie, save it from the plugin, copy my old people files (from my old library with Pictures and .xml) in the saving folder and restore it. Is there an other way more simple?

Thank you friend :)

If you are trying to copy your instance from one server to another there is more than just using the backup/restore that needs to be done to move the system and not have to rebuild things.

Once you login to the web admin on the dashboard you will want to scroll down and look at the paths.  You will want to copy the CACHE and METADATA directories from the first instance over to the second instance.

Moving forward you will want to edit each library, turn on the advanced settings and then enable NFO saving and SAVE ARTWORK INTO MEDIA FOLDERS.

Let us know if you have any additional questions,

Carlo

niouuu

Hi,

Thx for your answer.
Yes I tried it:

- backup with the plugin on the old server

- backup using with winSCP CACHE and METADATA files

- on the new server restore the backup and restore CACHE and METADATA using winSCP

- adding the new path of the movies in the library

But unfortunately it does nothing :( Movies appears like new one. No background and pictures. No informations about the movie.

If the movie have the NFO, only informations appears but not the pictures.

Did you copy over the other directories as well that contain your database?

niouuu

No, I only copied cache and metadata folders from my old server "/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var" to the new server with same path "/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var".

I don't know which other folders I need to copy. I though that only these were ok.

niouuu

Yep, I saw it, but it for the windows installed emby Server.

I'm trying backup the old server using this path 

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var

After, I will paste it on the new server, and see :)

Just use it as a rough guide.  But basically if you want to "duplicate" the system you need to duplicate the disc setup and copy the contents from one server to another.

niouuu

Ok very good, ther is some better news ^^
Everything appears in the news server, of course it don't work because the path of the movies are the old one.

But when I try to add the news path, I have an error, It ask to try later. The path appear in the library, but not the movie, and impossible to delete the path.

I restart the nas to see.

Make sure you have write permissions on the files used to hold config and data for the Emby user.

If you could get a screen capture of the error as you see it and could upload the server log file that could help diagnose your issue.  You can also do a search for "error" in the log file as well.

niouuu

I verified permissions are ok on the folder (read and write). 

I joinded below the screen capture of the error.

For the logs, I deleted the old one. Then I added the new path in the library. And after the error, the only log I have is the one is joined and there is no error :(

erreur emby.bmp start-stop-status_20200627.log

In English that error is "An error occurred while adding the media path. Please verify that the path is valid and that the Emby server process can access it."

That is almost 100% a permission problem.  You need to make sure all the directories and files you copied over have new ownership and permissions that match the user running Emby.

Same with media directories.

niouuu

Yep, I think it's the problem. I just trying to install emby Server on windows, copying all the backup folders and when I add a movie, I don't have this error.

But the pictures of the movie don't backup. Is that normal?

I'm trying to watch where it failed with the permission on the NAS now.

If you mean movie posters that would be the cache and metadata folders that hold that info.

niouuu

Indeed, it was a permission problem! I solved it changing on used folder with winscp. Now when I add a folder, I don't have any error.

But... it create a new movie entry in the library and not restoring movie posters and pictures. It restore only the NFO if there is one.

I think, I will generate NFO for each file, restoring and addind paths of the movies, and adding pictures movies one by one using my backup folder.