Option to ignore articles or not

Painkiller8818
Go to solution Solved by Deathsquirrel,

Painkiller8818

Hi,

It would be nice to have an option, maybe a checkbox to ether ignore articles or not in the sort title.
It is really annoying to edit the metadata and add the sort title on every movie. If a movies real name is "The Punisher" i don't wanna need to change the sort title, because this is the real name. An option would be great.

Thanks

Edited by Painkiller8818
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Solution
Deathsquirrel

You can already edit the list of ignored articles to allow you to incorrectly alphabetize your titles if you like.  Edit the SortRemoveWords values in the SYSTEM.XML file on your Emby server.  Soon you can effortlessly have all out movies starting with 'The' down in the Ts until a librarian smacks you firmly with a rolled up dictionary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
HairyHippy

I see there have been a few threads on this, thought I'd reply to the latest instead of all of them 🤣

I second (probably at least the 50th or possibly higher) this sort order option.  I am happy to edit the system.xml however I can definitely see why people would like both as a simple toggle.

My simplistic argument for not sorting by ignoring articles, is it's not the way you'd speak the title.  Example, you're down the pub and say "I watched THE Italian Job last night", you don't say "I watched Italian Job" or worse still, "I watched Italian Job, the"...

Sorting including articles is great when comparing to file systems.

Edit:  So I edited the system.xml removing all the articles (I simply removed the articles and not the strings.  I am using the Emby package on a Synology NAS.  I stopped the package, edited the system.xml and restarted.  However, sorting is still wrong (I am not seeing all The together for example).  When I edited and saved back the system.xml it looked like this:

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
  </SortRemoveWords>

However after restarting the package and see that the articles were still being ignored I checked the system.xml again and it looked like this:

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string />
    <string />
    <string />
    <string />
    <string />
    <string />
    <string />
  </SortRemoveWords>

Edited by HairyHippy
Additional point

3 hours ago, HairyHippy said:

I see there have been a few threads on this, thought I'd reply to the latest instead of all of them 🤣

I second (probably at least the 50th or possibly higher) this sort order option.  I am happy to edit the system.xml however I can definitely see why people would like both as a simple toggle.

My simplistic argument for not sorting by ignoring articles, is it's not the way you'd speak the title.  Example, you're down the pub and say "I watched THE Italian Job last night", you don't say "I watched Italian Job" or worse still, "I watched Italian Job, the"...

Sorting including articles is great when comparing to file systems.

Edit:  So I edited the system.xml removing all the articles (I simply removed the articles and not the strings.  I am using the Emby package on a Synology NAS.  I stopped the package, edited the system.xml and restarted.  However, sorting is still wrong (I am not seeing all The together for example).  When I edited and saved back the system.xml it looked like this:

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
    <string></string>
  </SortRemoveWords>

However after restarting the package and see that the articles were still being ignored I checked the system.xml again and it looked like this:

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string />
    <string />
    <string />
    <string />
    <string />
    <string />
    <string />
  </SortRemoveWords>

Hi, you'll have to refresh metadata on existing titles for the changes to take effect.

Junglejim

I wish I new this before I scanned my media years ago. :) It would have been nice to have had a toggle in the library settings! Never mind too late now, it's just to time consuming to go through and refresh the library items in question. All good, I've learned to live with it.

• 1 year later...
LeidenSpain

Hi,

For me, the ideal would be:

1) being able to configure the words to ignore from the backend (so each one could configure it to their liking, needs and language). 
2) that you can choose whether or not you want to ignore those words (by generic server configuration, or I think better, each user individually).

Perhaps a word selector by language would already be very complex, since the articles of each language would be mixed (for example "el, la, los, las,..." in Spanish) with the articles in English (the, a, an ,...)

Regards,

• Thanks 1