Interested in moving to Linux, but have a few questions

bomishketi4

bomishketi4

Seen a lot of videos that has convinced me to make the move, especially now where the gap is extremely close. Another reason I'm moving to Linux is because I want to delve into coding and I think putting myself in an environment where that 'might' be necessary could help me out. Because of the pandemic, I have much extra time and I just can't let this opportunity pass up.

I do have the usual "What distribution should I use?" question. I have a particular set of needs that is difficult to narrow down. I do a lot of gaming and most of it is via Steam, though there are interesting games popping out in EGS so that might be something I should consider. It's easy to Google people recommending which distributions to use when it comes to gaming.

However, my additional issue is that I work as the sole Mech Engr in my workplace and sideline as a designer. Because of this, I receive a lot of files, letters, and the like sometimes as MSWord and MSExcel. I currently use Libre Office at home and that sometimes breaks the formatting of said files - I'm hoping there's an alt in Linux or a certain distro that could help with that.

My bigger problem though is for the design. Almost everyone uses AutoCAD, and sadly I have no license of my own to be able to use it (I live in Philippines, and even though no one could afford it here with our income, everyone pirates it, sadly). I have to ensure my files can be read by the Architect without issue so that he could include my design in the overall submission. Before I make the switch, I want to ensure that there's something out that works for Linux and could produce drawings that is almost fully compatible with AutoCAD. I can't stress this enough, I want to ensure there is very little compromise for this.

There's also other programs I use like stress and fluids sims, and similar. But those are usually for learning and not necessarily for work, so I don't mind making much more compromises for those.

Hoping people could help me out. Thanks in advance!192.168.0.1 routerlogin 192.168.l.l 

Edited by bomishketi4

Riggs

@bomishketi4

Well, well.
First: Linux is not Windows, nor will it ever be.
If you want to switch to Linux, you must have a reason that moves you to do so, such as your privacy, (there is no telemetry), the cost of the software and also, many do not know it, but there are many better options in software to be more productive and do things better with free software projects than with private projects.
There are exceptions, as in everything, but that must be said by you.
For Autocad there are about 12 or 15 options to replace it, and about 10 options handle .DWG without problem.
What you are looking for, exists in the Linux world but like everything in life, in the same way that you ever started using any program that you run on windows in an amateur way, you will have to dedicate a time to an inevitable learning curve, but very fruitful, because more is learned along the way.
To play on Steam there is already a lot, I would say that like 85% of the games (or around), however, there is still a little to reach the total, some companies are attached to interests or agreements with others and there will never be a 100 % of games available on Linux as on Windows, but as you say, the gap is already very small. However, not all games are on windows either, there are some that can only be played on playstation.

Either way, there are countless people posting videos of their move to Linux. ironically every day they grow more, so much so, that Microsoft knows and is concerned.
The normal user, the one who is put in front of the computer and is like a robot, will continue using Windows or Mac without even knowing why.

In Linux you can decide, in Windows you must stick to what Microsoft gives you, period, there is no other truth.

For starters, if what you have is a powerful and modern graphics card, you can start with Manjaro or Pop! _Os.
Desks:
-KDE: it is similar to windows in "how it looks" but with many configurations to customize it, it is very good.
-Gnome: Versatile, can be customized, in this Manjaro offers 6 pre-configurations for you to choose the one that best suits your work form.
XCFE: Well, this one is less polished, but it's widely used for just that, not to be very polished. Let's say it's like watching Windows 95 or similar.

In Manjaro you will be able to choose more desktop types or "GNU" (interface), as they are known in the Linux world.

Pop! _Os only offers you the gnome desktop, although of course, as in any Linux distribution, you can then install the one you like.

Both distributions have the best support for games and are quick to update changes, especially Manjaro is more agile in terms of updates.

Both lend themselves to start, their installers are easy and intuitive, with a modern computer, you shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

I hope that helps you, and as always, always Google or DuckDuckGGo about this.

There are no risks get an additional disk, install Linux, and leave your disk with Windows there, just in case.

Install it, investigate and savor it yourself, here many can tell you many different things than what I leave here, and everyone will have different points of view, however you are the one who makes the final decision.

BTW, you can use AMD, Nvidia or Intel Graphic cards on Manjaro and Pop!_Os

Edited by Riggs
Mention